• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Redoing an old video

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a little video of me reading a book that I made for grandchildren 16 years ago. I have another grandchild and I wanted to reuse part of the video. When I bring it in to sequence it is 720 x 480. If I shoot at 1080 will it be difficult to use it with the old video? Or could I increase the old video from 720 to 1080?

TOPICS
Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can resize either video. You can create a 720 X 480 sequence or a 1920 X 1080 sequence. A 1280 X 720 sequence might work best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to make a 1280 x 720 sequence and then scaled the original photo by 200%. It's pretty blocky, shaky. Is there anything I can do within Premiere to make it smoother? Or would I be better off scaling the bigger (modern) video to 720 x 480? I don't want to put the older video inside a big black frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll share a few thoughts. I understand your wanting to reuse the old video.

Is the old audio usable and high quality? I would consider creating a new video, 1920 by 1080. and then mxing in still images, and the old video, picture in picture, in its original pixel resolution so that it does not lose quality. For me, the question would be what archival/memory I would want for all the grandchildren.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reply by Stan Jones is a good one, but my preference would be to use a 720 X 480 sequence and scale the 1080 video down or crop as necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preference is similar to that of Peru Bob. Downscale the 1080 image to 480i/29.97, then export the video as standard definition. You will not achieve high definition, but television sets almost always do a better job than software or computer monitors at upscaling video.

If on the other hand that exported video is going to be displayed on a computer, then you will have to accept the lousy image quality, whether through software or the monitor's poor-quality upscaler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no connection to these guys at all, other than seeing their ads continuously on Facebook. I am curious about it as I have some old transfers from Video all at SD obviously. They say they can upRes successfully.

https://topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tried this: original footage needs to be of very good image quality to be enlarged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would the Detail-Preserving Upscale feature in After Effects be helpful here?

https://helpx.adobe.com/mt/after-effects/user-guide.html/mt/after-effects/using/detail-preserving-up... 

(Of course, only if you have After Effects or the whole creative cloud.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the old video (720x480) us 4:3 aspect ratio, non square pixels, probably 30fps interleaved.

I would start new project with the old video so that your timeline is that size and specs.. ( match old video).

Now, when you put in new video ( shoot it with a lot of room around main characters at 30fps, so you can scale down later ), you just scale that DOWN to your SD size... Your final export will be 720x480 PROGRESSIVE, SQUARE PIXEL ( 1.0 ), which will NOT BE FOR DVD ... but for web instead ( youtube, vimeo etc.).  To make a DVD you would have to export interleaved and you don't want that these days...unless making another DVD.

That would be under NTSC specs for DVD if you want to research it ( for DVD) but I don't think you should make one.

If you just export h264 , 720x480, 30fps, square pixels, it will look nice... You can't UPSCALE stuff without it getting junky and blurry and so on.

🙂

good luck.

P.S.   maybe consider shooting NEW stuff ( 1080p) black and white or some other manipulation to make it look OLDER ( to match old video better ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this image is full Hd aspect ratio ( 16:9) and the white square is approx 4:3 ... and shows roughly the SIZE you'd be using of that 1080p image in a 4:3 sequence when you scale it down to match old footage.

CROPPED FULL HD TO 480P.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines