Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Refurbished Laptop for Premier Pro Project

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am working on a Video project for school it will be 15-30 min high res.

I need an affordable laptop, I think I can work on a 13 inch. Can you recommend some real world specs that will allow me to edit and render without crashing. My budget is about $600 to $1000 max. 

I am getting conflicting info. My professor says 16 gig ram minimum and 500 gig HD,  and  I think Adobe says 32 gig ram and 1 TB hard drive.

Would it be a mistake to get a 2012 machine with higher specs?

I'm not certain that I will contiue doing video work, but I need to complete this project successufully to finish my masters.

Thanks for your ideas!

Hannah

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does a pretty good job breaking down the minimum and recommended specs needed for Premiere Pro. Use this as you price out your computer. https://helpx.adobe.com/sea/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/sea/premiere-pro/system-requirements.ug.htm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I saw the recommendations.

I had access to a 2009 desktop Mac with 12 gig of ram to create a compressed video that was a minute long in Premier.

But I'm wondering what is going to happen when I'm working with 4k clips and rendering a 15-30 min large format movie that can be shown in a theatre. 

What will happen if I don't spend $2000+ in order to get the 32 gigs of ram?

Will it crash while rendering? will I be unable to edit, because it won't playback? Or would I just have to render files overnight, like we used to do in the olden days-- longer processing time?

I'm considering this one, which is only one year newer that the one I'm typing on, but has twice the ram--16 gig, I don't know if it would make a difference.

https://eshop.macsales.com/configure-my-mac/UALE1H59OBXXXXD

or

a newer computer with 16 gig of ram partly because it ships with final cut pro, and I could use that as a backup.

https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-gray-1.4ghz-quad-core-processor-...

I don't know if I can bring myself to take another school loan,  just for one documentary project. I live in my car and that doesn't even cost $1000.

Is it possible to screen a movie in a lesser format, or would it look like crap? It is a documentary, so the expetations of the viewer might be lower. Its been a few decades since I've used premier, and I'm out of the loop on file formats.

Thank you for your thoughts, I don't have alot of support on this, especially with tech stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Premiere Pro it is a mistake to get anything from 2012. You see, that 2012 system had already dropped to "Obsolete" support status at Apple itself; therefore, that unit can (officially) no longer be repaired or updated at all. And Adobe has in recent years become extremely picky about the age of the components and the age of the graphics drivers.

Therefore, if you don't have $1,500 or more to spend, then there are practically no newer-gen Macs that will properly run Premiere Pro. You will have to scrap your macOS plans and switch to Microsoft Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was me I'd figure out how to get a 16 inch with as much processor and GPU power I could afford. While I was waiting for the laptop to ship I would learn everything I could about using Proxy Media in Premiere Pro. I would also learn as much as I could about file workflows and properly setting up hard drives for cache files and working files. And of course, I would put some thought into how to back up everything. Then when my laptop got there I should be ready to rock-n-roll! I'd finish my sweet edit. And if I decided never to edit again in the future I'd sell that laptop and recoup some of the expenses once I was done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that is that the 16" models all cost well over $2,000 USD. That's way above the discussion starter's maximum budget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions! I may borrow some money and buy and resell a 32 gig laptop.

Or take my chances on 16 gigs of ram and 500mb MacBook Air, with an external TB drive. Knowing that I can likely switch over to Final Cut Pro if I can't run premier. What about the new macs? Will they play nice with premier? Their said to be more machine for the money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For a new MacBook Air, the Intel-powered models are now officially out of production. The new MacBook Air's have now transitioned completely to Apple's own ARM CPU architecture. These new MacBook Air's are shipping with macOS 11 (Big Sur), which is not yet fully compatible with any existing version of Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines