Highlighted

Relinking media to neighboring directories

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain why a Premiere projet file will not auto relink to the full list of clips in the "Assets" folder if the project file is in the "Projects" directory (see folders below). It seems auto-relinking will only happen if the assets are in a neighboring or sub-directory. Any insight?

I keep a project folder structure of:

1_Projects

-Premiere

-After Effects

2_Assets

-Video

-Images

-Audio

3_Exports

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Relinking media to neighboring directories

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain why a Premiere projet file will not auto relink to the full list of clips in the "Assets" folder if the project file is in the "Projects" directory (see folders below). It seems auto-relinking will only happen if the assets are in a neighboring or sub-directory. Any insight?

I keep a project folder structure of:

1_Projects

-Premiere

-After Effects

2_Assets

-Video

-Images

-Audio

3_Exports

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand.  Have you moved the files from the original location?  If so, how does the folder structure of the original location differ from this structure?  Might also help if we know whether you're on a windows machine or a mac.  By any chance is the media stored over a network drive or on the cloud?  If so, that may be source of the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reponse.

We are moving projects from local mac work stations to a networked media store, which I would think the root directory change is what is causing the entire project to go offline. When we reconnect, it will only reconnect one file/folder at a time even though all files are in the same location relative to the root directory of the project. This makes reconnecting very tedious. The same thing happens when we move projects from the network to a local Mac workstation (off Network). The auto re-link doesn't work for the entire project despite no files having moved. I was told by a colleague that the assets need to live "beneath" (or in a subdirectory of) the premiere file, but I have yet to test that theory.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing network protocols are the issue and you really need someone with IT chops to help you.  Avid has a turnkey solution which is rock solid (at least they used to back in the day when I worked in avid) which is why it predominates in big feature projects where shared storage is crucial.  In normal circumstances with local storage,  Premiere is rock solid in relinking and there's no requirement for the assets to live "beneath" the premiere file.  I work on both mac and windows and moving a project and media from one to the other is pretty easy.   I'm wondering if you can "name" the media drive on the mac to match the network drive name and create the desired folder structure on the mac.   Might make the relinking process easier when you're connected to the network.    We do see people posting problems here which do some to relate to network storage issues...  Since I don't work in that environment, I can only throw some ideas out.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Josh5FCE LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insight.
I'll keep investigating.

This email may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or attorney work product for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, disclosure, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies including any attachments.

Latham & Watkins LLP or any of its affiliates may monitor electronic communications sent or received by our networks in order to protect our business and verify compliance with our policies and relevant legal requirements. Any personal information contained or referred to within this electronic communication will be processed in accordance with the firm's privacy notices and Global Privacy Standards available at www.lw.com.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0