• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing a background in Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a video where I am against a white screen, but the screen is smaller than the width of the frame. Is there a way to remove the sides with a solid color? I don't want to crop, since that would cut me off. I marked the areas I'd like to get rid of. Ideally, I'd love to extend the background (I could create an image in Photoshop to do this). Any ideas?Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 9.49.34 PM.jpg

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a tough one... 

There are some problems with the shot in general ( composition, even lighting on the seamless ). I'll put your still up here with a black thing that shows what I think you can get away with as revised crop.

You'll have top of wheelchair wheels in the shot, and that's enough to show you're in that chair. I don't need to see the whole thing to know that.

SCREEN SHOT CROP.jpg

Without getting into crazy long winded explanations... the gist of what's up in my head is this:

a) if you shot 4k you can put into 720p timeline and scale it up to get the frame I imply with black rectangle.

b) you can use AE ( maybe) and use some roto brush magic tool that separates you from background totally.. which becomes transparent ( alpha channel ) and then put what you want back there.

There was a recent post about a pickle coming out of a pickle jar that showed the AE result by some nice user who demonstrated the use of AE to fix problem, but for the life of me I can't find that post using the search function of this forum.

The problem was that the shot was a pickle jar and some wire attached to a pickle made the one pickle come out of jar and land next to it .. and that pickle had eyes and a smile on face etc... so the guy wanted to get rid of the table, a plant, the wall behind the table, everything basically.

So, that's one possible solution... use AE but that is pretty up there re: skill to use the program.

It boils down to using masks and targeting tones and colors to get rid of stuff you don't want. And it's really complicated for someone like me to do that stuff so I have no clue how to explain it to you.

Good going on shooting stuff using goal post and seamless and lights and stuff.. it's not easy to do that stuff in small spaces ( apartments or house rooms ). I really think you should look into putting source stuff into much smaller timeline and then scale up to get what I suggested re: black rectangle 'crop'.  See if that doesn't work OK.

720p looks pretty good on TV and monitors even though it's not full HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is that this was a Zoom recording of a dance performance, so I turn, and have my arms up and around me. Cropping would be a no-go. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are more screen caps showing the extent of how I use the space

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 11.43.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-28 at 11.42.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-28 at 11.42.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can either:

1. Cut off the sides with a feathered mask and put the background you want behind it.

2. Cut off the sides with a crop that you feather and put the background you want behind it.

3. Put the foreground you want over the top of it and cut out the middle with a feathered mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a good link where I could learn how to do the feathered masks? And would it be Premiere Pro that I'd be doing this in? It's a 3 minute video clip. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, definitely can be done in Premiere! I would just check out a couple of tutorials on masking in Premiere if you've never done it before. Probably best to see it visually. Usually when I'm learning a new thing I try to watch a few different versions.

The crop tool should function similarly for you in this situation. That can be found in the Effects Panel. Again a quick tutorial would probably get you comfortable with not just crop, but the more of these things you watch the more you'll understand how to work with effects in general.

Good luck! Let us know if you need more help zeroing in on terminology to look up or if you hit any obstacles. It may take a little bit of trial and error to get right so have patience. Maybe this is one of your first "fix it in post" experiences 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That suggestion is really good... and might look really nice.

This is a cove .... your seamless rolls out ( opposite of what you have) and becomes floor as well as background. Just have to make it curve. Light it evenly.

Then compose the shot better... zoom in and whatever you can do with lens you have, camera location, etc.

Meanwhile, by all means, just fill in the stuff on sides and it might look fine.

cyc with cove.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a live dance performance through Zoom on my computer (so, worst optics ever), and the backdrio was all I had available. I had to turn in my chair, so the paper kept getting caught and torn. I'll work on it for future shows, but it was a one-off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Philip will be able to help you with that stuff, and yes, you can do it in PPro ( what he suggested ).

Good going on doing cool stuff !

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines