Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rename Media Files to Match Clip Name

Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Project Manager offers to "Rename Media Files to Match Clip Name" 

Does any one know how to automagically "Rename Media Files to Match Clip Name" (the existing files) without Project Manager creating new files?

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did send this to User Voice, but hoping I'm missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I would not want Premiere to change the original files ... in any way, shape, or form.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, just cause you don't want it...  FCP 7 had a great feature that you could change clip names to match file names, or file names to match clip names.   I didn't use the feature constantly, but it was definitely useful and never had any issues with it.  but I do understand where you're coming from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had sufficient backup files and the media in use was copied and separated from the original media, I don't see an issue with that providing those files are used only with that particular project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank folks,

That's nice R Neil but I have incredibly good reasons.  😉

Exactly Peru Bob (see below).

Yes, mgrenadier, I heard (read elsewhere) FCP did this.

Not that it matters, but after creating a video (all done and ready to ship), I need to export the related audio clips and re-edit a bit in Audition; renaming makes that process much easier, especially as I don't need all clips, and getting them in the right order (01, 02, 03, etc..) helps a lot. All the various Dynamic link exchanges creates a cluster of file names.  

I'd welcome any advice on how to do this all more efficiently, but that will take more time than a one-line response. 🙂

PS: What do I need to do o get a ribbon??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: What do I need to do o get a ribbon??

By @dancingbrook

Maybe I'm daft, but, Huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing the ribbon designating our esteemed status as ACPs...Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 1.46.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that's what that image is.  I didn't recognize it as a ribbon. eusa_doh.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who's had computer failures in read/write operations, this brings nightmares. Ah well ... I know of the permanent destruction of the only copy of an absolutely needed clip.

So I've no problem with the small space issue of creating new files knowing they likely will be only temporary. Because for space-concerns later, you can them dump one or the other.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, you're right, but you're a fool if you only have one copy of any crucial media files.   So I already have backups ready...  (hopefully).  Even just one backup doesn't seem like enough...  Since most of my camera original is shot on sdhc chips I almost always keep the original chips.  Back in the day, you were paying at least $30 for a betasp tape so I insist on building in the relatively small price of the sdhc chips into my budget...   sometimes causes an argument with a client, but making them accept responsibility if a hard drive crashes usually makes them agree to the cost...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm idiot so take with grain of salt.

I use filegrab to rename source stuff so I know what scenes they are ( don't do in camera cause I only do simple stuff ).

After that I xfer from temp hd dir. to project dir. It's just a 'namer' program so I know what it is.

That's my filename(s) now.

Then I put stuff on timeline ( in out points or whatever ) and start editing.

A shoot with 3-4 cameras shooting at same time with external sound and slates requires some work re: sync and linking etc. but that's another story.

So what do you mean, dancer, by " SHIP TO"  ??   I don't get that. You want to export and not use xml or whatever to another editor, or you just want to finesse you're previous edit on you own computer ?????

I don't get the question cause you guys are light years ahead of me re: how to make movies.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm just curious.....and don't mean to be getting off subject..

but are you recording a game or something on computer and then taking a giant clip into editor and renaming 'clips' so you know what part of game you are on ? I just don't get it cause I don't do that stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines