• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Renaming Clips

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im new to Premer Pro,as well as editing.Do I rename every clip I put in the timline and if so why?

Thank you...

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you need to? If you've imported the media successfully you should be OK.

With that said, I always try to have no duplicate clip names. With the way cameras work if you clear the memory card, you do get the same clip names used over and over. I avoid that. I use Advanced Renamer to rename my clips in the OS before import:

https://www.advancedrenamer.com/

I'll be found wrong on this by some, as there are some cameras you need to have the entire folder structure available. Thus the only difference in the files are the folder names. So, in that case, by all means do that. The problem is if something happens to the project and the files are disassociated there is more of a problem reattaching them when the only difference is the folder name/location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program doesn't care, as long as you don't use files with the same name

I care, so I always go through my clips after I copy them to a computer folder so *I* know about each video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag over the Description column to "name" clipsDrag over the Description column to "name" clipsHi Richard,

Good question. The answer is, "you can." But should you? Some editors do, but many do not take the extra step. Careful editors think it is bad form to rename the clip anything but the digital media file name.

In the early days of NLE, you actually needed to name the clip when logging footage from analog video tape, even before it came into the NLE via "digitizing." Logging footage is not necessary prior to importing footage any longer.

That said, I do miss the clip naming process and do so in an alternate way. Here's what I do: In List View, by dragging, rearrange the columns of the Project panel so that Description or Log Notes can be next to your primary column. That way, you can name each clip's description which will help jog your memory. I'll show a screenshot.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to ALL  !!

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines