• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render Bar Turns Red with Any (Very Small) Editing Change in Pr

Participant ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Pro v. 14.9 (build 52) on a Windows PC, with 16GB RAM (12GB available for Pr) an i5 processor and Intel 530 HD Graphics card. Playback resolution is at 1/4 and HQ Playback is unchecked in Pr.
My issue is that every time I make the smallest editing change, the render bar goes red, even when I have just rendered a clip on the timeline. This then slows down playback and I often have to re-render the clip or the sequence.
Can anyone suggest why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Thank you,

Stephen

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

That machine is simply so low on power it barely runs PrPro at all. And if you're using any long-GOP interframe media (H.265/5) it just makes it worse.

You may need to edit using low-res Cineform or ProRes proxy files.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because you dont have a dedicated videocard and your machine post likely cannot handle the footage.

In other words you machine is way underpowered to handle Premiere in a proper way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That machine is simply so low on power it barely runs PrPro at all. And if you're using any long-GOP interframe media (H.265/5) it just makes it worse.

You may need to edit using low-res Cineform or ProRes proxy files.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil. I have enough RAM, I think. So, what needs to be upgraded to increase the power? Thanks for any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an 8-core i7, 32GB of RAM, and with a 1060 GPU on it. And left that behind because it wasn't up to the media I work with. I'm now running a 24-core right with 128GB of RAM and a 2080Ti.

16GB of RAM gives very little room for the creation of a number of video frames on the fly that is the heart of playback. May work with 1280x720 clips not too bad, will struggle with 1920x1080 from the get-go, and will balk at 3840x2160 "4K".

Just not enough space to create the frames fast enough.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Neil. I can't afford to upgrade to anything close to your current spec. My main job is as a photographer (I have won major awards with Lightroom and Photoshop images), and they are both working OK with my current, dated system. But, I am doing more video work and so need to update the machine. Can you advise on a mimum spec that won't break the bank? 

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Getting to 32GB of RAM these days is near a must for most any work in PrPro.

And for many rigs, even mine at times, it's still wise to either transcode some media to a good digital intermediate or "editing friendly" codec or create low-res Cineform proxies for best playback while editing.

That can keep you running for quite a while before hitting that final ... it's gotta be now moment. I held off as long as I could.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines