• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render times are significantly slowed by the 14.4 (and beyond) update!

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title.

Apparently, this isn't a "Known Issue" to Adobe because they have released two updates without addressing this issue.

Hardware encoding for version 14.3 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than 14.4 and 14.5, upwards to literally 5x times faster. Have been trying to render a  couple videos the past couple days and the render times were out of this world slow (a 2 hour video took 5 1/2 hours to render!). I checked my task manager to find my CPU's (9900k) utilization was around 10%! Even worse, my GPU's (2080ti) utilization was at 20%.

These updates have ruined encoding times, because they severely underutilize the CPU and GPU. The solution is to downgrade from 14.5/14.4 to at least 14.3.2. 

I hope I have helped solve an issue for people like me who were wondering why the heck were rendering times so bad. Please fix this!!!

TOPICS
Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to highlight this problem after trying all versions for hours. Both for proxies and for video export, in Premiere and Media Encoder renders are extemely slow. This is not happening in 14.3.2 but renders are much slower in following versions.

I have both Intel (9900k) and AMD (3950X), GPU 2080ti, 32gb RAM 3600mhz and render times are awful. They are fine in 14.3.2 and earlier versions. BIOS, Windows updates and everything are OK.

Adobe, please, PLEASE, fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to state no one has stated the newer versions of Premeire Pro are not causing problems for some people. That being said we cannot assume it is 100% Premiere Pro at fualt. A little trouble shooting must be done. The forum members have to ask questions and offer suggestions that might be helpful. Keep in mind windows can have registry problem. Geforce Settings can affect the Premiere Pro updates. Someone could be using Geforce Game Ready Drivers instead of Studio Drivers. Suggestions like that have helped other people in the past with updates but each update is different.  That being said it is not wise to badmouth mouth people who are trying to offer help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system works. The video below might be worth watching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video is essentially off-topic and has nothing to do with the versions causing extreme slow render times. 

I'm not ignorant. I'm a YouTuber that has been using Premiere for years and I know how to set up my system. The fact is the versions beyond 14.3.2 have an issue causing the CPU and GPU to be underutilized. Test it yourself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Th3birdman,

The video is 100% on topic. My build is above 14.3.2. I am demonstrating my system is not having the same problems as yours. That is not to say it will correct your problem but it might help other people. Premiere Pro needs to be set up 100% correctly. Some people are unaware of how to setup Premiere Pro.

My system would be 5X slower if I did not have things setup correctly. Do you now see my point? That being said a Windows Update can also cause problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except it's not on topic. This video does not demonstrate the difference between VERSIONS. 

It shows how this person has their settings. 

Render a 10 minute video in 4k on version 14.3.2. and then render it again on 14.4 or higher. 

I can make a video demonstrating the difference if you'd like. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And before you attempt a retort, I made a video. 

Notice how in your video, CPU utilization and GPU utilization are not in sync with each other? This is exactly the point that I'm making. At the end of your video, you achieve 100% CPU utilization but GPU is at 12%-- this is the OPPOSITE of what we want when using Hardware Acceleration (which is supposed to tax both components at the same time). The beginning of your video demonstrates the issue with 14.5-- you're only getting ~20% CPU utilization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Th3Birdman,

Once again. My video is 100% on topic. Rendering is more about encoding and decoding as opposed to CUDA. Switching the ecoding and decoding options may not help you out but it might help others. I admit there could be a problem with Premiere Pro on your system. That being said if you have an Intel CPU try enable the IGPU in the BIOS. Then select Intel for rendering and see if it is any faster. I doubt it will be but you never know. As you can tell by the image below both my GPUs are being used. cpu gpu.jpgquick sync.jpg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I continue this back and forth with you, please uninstall 14.5/6, and do this same test with 14.3.2. 

Please provide transparent results. That would be much appreciated, because we are not on the same page, and I feel like it's a waste of my time engaging with someone talking about something else. Please, just do me the favor. I am open to accepting your results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Th3Birdman,

We don't need to download the older version of Premiere Pro. What you can do is create a simple 10 minute long sequence by copying and pasting six 30 second long files to reach 10 minutes in length. You can upload the small files and we can copy and past them into a sequence on our sytems and compare reults. My method will also work. Your method requires a small risk to my computer but mine does not. Do you see my point?

That being said what if my system with a new version of Premiere Pro renders faster than your system using an older verrsion? I am not saying that will happen. I am asking what conclusion would you come to if that does happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to say that I am having the same issue that you are having. I know this is an older post but I have recently noticed EXTREME render times for short videos! 

I will install an older version, do an A-B test and report back! 

I am hoping that the older version will work (at least I can get faster render times!).

Thanks for taking the time to reseach this! I greatly appreciate it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Birdman,

Sorry. I actually have seen this and I think that something may have gone awry with some settings or am missing a workflow issue some are engaging in while others are not (personally, my exports fly, even on this old machine because it has Intel Quick Sync, perhaps).

Can we get your full system specs so we can see what's going on? Otherwise, I have no idea what to suggest. (Edit: I watched your video). It sounds like some component of your system might not be working. 

Another issue is that an inordiate amount of people seem to be checking off export options that are not needed, and they drastically affect export times, like "Render at Maximum Render Quality" and "Render Maximum Depth." (Edit: what happens if you disable these? I noticed you had Render at Max Quality enabled). I did notice you had these enabled in both situations.

I would also look at your GPU and how it is working with Mercury Playback Engine, and especially for Hardware Encoding and its associated preferences. (Edit: these seem to be enabled accordingly).

A closer inspection of these items is where I'd start in the troubleshooting process. Hope I can assist.

Thanks,
Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response (and the comment on the video) Kevin. 

I play around with the settings a lot. It is my personal goal to get the highest quality at the fastest render speed, based on my system. That box being checked has made zero difference in my render times, which is why it was checked in this video-- all I did was open up a file I'd previously been working on. 

Further, in my video, the box was checked on both renders, nullifying Maximum Render Quality as the culprit of poor CPU utilization. The videos render just fine in 14.3.2-- I've tested it with and without. CPU utilization still hangs at around 21% with the setting checked or not in 14.5.   

I'm sorry to say, the culprit is most likely 14.4, which has legacy code embedded in 14.5 and 14.6; it is not my system or settings. I just redid my test with 14.6, and it's still underutilizing the CPU. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

My system renders super fast as well. I wonder if Th3Birdnam's computer might have a glitch deep in the OS. One of the Premiere Pro updates made my CPU fan constantly spin at 100%. I got a repacement motherboard and now it works better. I don't know why Premiere Pro would make my fan constantly spin a 100% but it did. Only one other person had the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My system renders super fast as well."

"Super fast" is a relative term. My PC is "super fast", if we're comparing it to PP 2018, for example. My PC could be "super fast" in comparison to yours. What do you mean by this? What are your specs and render times?

"I wonder if Th3Birdnam's computer might have a glitch deep in the OS"

Apparently, I have a glitch in MY system once I updated PP to 14.5, but that same glitch magically disappears when I'm using 14.3.2. Lol, come on man 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An upgrade made my fans spin at 100% but only one other person experienced it. That being said you are assuming everyone is having the same problems you are having. Perhaps we are and don't know it but Windows could have done an update between Premiere Pro downloads on your system. The Windows updates can cause problems. You could enable the IGPU and opt for Intel's Quick Sync to see if it makes a difference. It might it might not. You could also test a couple of sequences from different projects with different codecs and see if the newer updated version of Premiere Pro is always slower. It might be. 

Last but not least you could make a new sequence with 6 short 20-30 second video clips (small files) and upload them for us to use and we could compare results. Will our results match yours? There is only one way to find out. That might be better than asking people to install and older version of Premiere Pro on their computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now I think I'm done speaking with you Andy. You and I both know that installing a previous version of Premiere Pro is ridiculously easy and not an inconvenience at all. I am not asking anything unreasonable, but you are being stubborn, refusing to even attempt to replicate the results I'm having. Any scientist worth his salt would do that in order to actually diagnose a problem, but what you are intent on doing is asserting there's an issue with my system. 

The reason I know you are being willfully ignorant on this point is that you have posted that same off-topic, copy/pasted video on a number of these threads, handwaving everyone's issue as "not having the proper settings". We can't all be experiencing the exact same issue after not having any at all before the update, Andy. I made a video showing that I got two different results when there were no differences in SETTINGS, and the only difference was THE BUILD. 

There are a number of threads on this board expresssing this EXACT issue-- it's not my system: 

Larry TL's thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-media-encoder/low-hardware-usage-when-rendering-but-it-s-worse/...

Default's thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/video-hardware/suddenly-slow-export-times-very-low-cpu-and-gpu-usage/...

Ywkangvoa's thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/slow-encoding-issue-on-premiere-pro-14-4-not-14-3-or-14-...

Zoltans' thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/animate/exporting-a-video-takes-ages-cpu-gpu-usages-very-low/m-p/1145...

Then here's a screenshot of someone on YouTube also having this issue: 

Screenshot (866).png

Here's another screenshot on Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/premiere/comments/jeybkz/premiere_pro_145_october_2020_release/) of users having this issue: 

Screenshot (867).png

So no, I'm good on your "advice" buddy, because you seem incapable or unwilling to accept that there is an actual issue with the program beyond 14.3.2. You won't even test the system, so I can no longer engage with you in good faith. Good day sir. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan My suggestion is that you take a look at what I've provided in the above post-- there are too many people having this exact issue, and statistically speaking, we cannot all be having the exact same issue with our PCs. There is an issue with the builds beyond 14.3.2. I have replicated my tests with 100% consistency. 

14.4 seems to be the culprit, and the code from this build seems to have been applied to 14.5 and 14.6. Here are my results with EACH build:

14.3.2: 60% CPU utilization on average/ 89% GPU on average
14.4: 23% CPU utilization on average/ ~50% GPU on average

14.5: 21% CPU utilization on average/ 60% GPU on average

14.6: 22% CPU utilization on average/ 55% GPU on average

Clearly, after 14.4, something happened. CPU utilization is down across the board. Switching back to 14.3.2 solves this issue. This means that it is not my PC, but the build itself. If I'm able to freely switch back to a previous version and have no issues (which I am), then it's the build. That's just a fact.

I've performed every test that has been suggested in this thread, and have replicated the results over and over. Even if you'd like to boil this down to my system, 14.4 and beyond changes something fundamentally, requiring changes/a different setup to someone's system-- how can this not be seen as an issue with the build? If you updated your iPhone, and the update changes something that requires you to alter your settings, no one would suggest the phone is the problem. Why are we doing this here? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Th3Birdman I have seen some of those issues as well, iow that renders in earlier versions came out fast while they now take forever. I have not found out why but since i use the same hardware today it must be Premiere Pro.

A couple of days ago a 35 minute timeline wanted several hours to complete. I ended up rendering out it to the GoPro CineForm codec and then used TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works to create my H.264. Not the ideal solution, but it saved me hours.

I just wanted to confirm that there are some issues with the recent versions of Premiere Pro. I have not had the time to dive into this and trying to find out what the problem is. All i do know is that it is not the computer or the settings in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

I appreciate someone else not regurgitating the same old "it's your hardware". 

I used to test for bugs way back in college. I know for a fact that when there are updates to builds, developers sometimes introduce code that affects something else. This is inevitable and I do not blame them, they are human after all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know for a fact that when there are updates to builds, developers sometimes introduce code that affects something else.

100% correct. I have been on betas for several companies and learned that fact there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here, here man.

There's this guy 'Barnucles' on You Tube. Used to work for MicroSoft. He talks about how, once upon a time, QC on new updates was done by humans using a variety of machine configurations. But now it's all simulations using 'AI', so MS could cut costs and send a lot of employee's packing. As a result more and more machines in the wild started having problems with Windows updates. To me it feels analogous to rolling out a new vaccine without adequate phase I,II, and III trials. People start getting sick.

I can only speculate but it sounds like Adobe is doing the same s**t. And then denying any responsibility. While it's not every update, I've been - off and on - having these kinds of problems with Adobe since 2015.

BTW I'm now having the problem you've experienced. As I write this (Jan '21) I've been waiting several hours for a straight forward (<<4K) project to render. When it's done I'll downgrade to 14.3.2 to see what's up. Thanks for the tip in advance. Bon Chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Th3Birdman

First of all no one is saying there is not a problem with the newer version of Premiere Pro. That being said are you sure everyone will have the same exact experience as you? Downloading and older version of Premiere Pro could infact make changes to my Windows registry and the Nvidia settings. I don't want to take the chance of messing up my system. Perhaps deleting the older versions might help your system. I am not saying it will.

Keep in mind it is easier for you to enable the IGPU in your bios than for me to download an old version of Premiere Pro. You can always dissable the IGPU with no harm. It seems like you would want to test out Intel's Quick Sync just for fun to see how it compares to Nvidia. I am not saying you have to use it.

An Nvidia Game Ready Driver could favor the older versions of  Premiere Pro while the newer version of Premiere Pro might work better with the Nvidia Studio drivers. I am not saying that is the case with your system. I am saying that changing Nvidia drivers has helped out people in the past. As I stated up front. No one is saying there is not a problem with the newest version of Premiere Pro. The forum members can only offer suggestions. They may or may not be helpful to you but they might be helpful to other people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Downloading and older version of Premiere Pro could infact make changes to my Windows registry and the Nvidia settings. I don't want to take the chance of messing up my system. Perhaps deleting the older versions might help your system. I am not saying it will"

And just like that, any credibility you had with regard to how PP works just went out of the window. 

Anyone that has been using this software for any amount of time knows that rolling back to a previous version does NOT "mess up your system".  Just a blatant mistruth. I have been doing it multiple times to test these updates, with results and video evidence IN THIS VERY THREAD. Kinda puts the kibosh on the idea that your system is better attenuated than mine if you can't even rollback to a previous version, which means you probably shouldn't be here giving advice. 

Anyway, that was my last comment to you. I kindly ask that you stop addressing and responding to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines