Highlighted

Rendering takes WAY longer after upgrade

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to forum posting, sorry in advance for my inevitable faux pas.

Just upgraded from PP 2018 to 2020. Redering an 11min H.264 video @ 1080p took over an hour. I'm used to rendering at around 1 to 1 ratio for these settings (~11mins for 11min video). What is going on??

Coinciding with my new software I upgraded my 8th gen i7 (8700k) to a 9th gen i9 (9900k). New processer is overclocked to 4.8ghz and runs at 100% during render but doesn't overheat. GPU (gtx1080ti) climbs to about 15% at peaks. Unfortunately I never checked the old setup's performance in this area since I never had any issues.

Rendering 11min avi in After Effects (also upgraded from 2018 to 2020) takes the same amount of time as before. Processor also runs great in other applications (*ahem* video games) so I doubt it is a hardware issue.

Someone please save my workflow :'(

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Rendering takes WAY longer after upgrade

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to forum posting, sorry in advance for my inevitable faux pas.

Just upgraded from PP 2018 to 2020. Redering an 11min H.264 video @ 1080p took over an hour. I'm used to rendering at around 1 to 1 ratio for these settings (~11mins for 11min video). What is going on??

Coinciding with my new software I upgraded my 8th gen i7 (8700k) to a 9th gen i9 (9900k). New processer is overclocked to 4.8ghz and runs at 100% during render but doesn't overheat. GPU (gtx1080ti) climbs to about 15% at peaks. Unfortunately I never checked the old setup's performance in this area since I never had any issues.

Rendering 11min avi in After Effects (also upgraded from 2018 to 2020) takes the same amount of time as before. Processor also runs great in other applications (*ahem* video games) so I doubt it is a hardware issue.

Someone please save my workflow :'(

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 23, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erik5CED,

Thanks for reaching out. We'd love to help you out.

There are a lot of other factors that can affect rendering time. To start, could you share your system specifications (RAM, OS version). Also, which effects have you applied to the Timeline? Please try removing the media cache and test the export time on a new project.

Let us know if it brings any change.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm running Windows 10 with 32gigs of RAM. The timeline doesn't have any sophisticated effects running and even if I go back to old project files which rendered at 1 to 1 when I first made them they now take at least 4 times longer. I'm very confused. 

Emptying the media cache didn't work although I realized the new install had a different location and had also moved the media cache. I reinstalled both the way that they were before (on a faster drive) and it still didn't impact the now very slow speed.

I've also double checked that GPU acceleration is turned on as well as hardware encoding fyi.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magically fixed upon restart.

After making the previous changes and restarting my machine the renders are happening even quicker than originally. No idea what bottleneck was happening but it seems to be gone.

Thanks for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and thanks for closing out the thread.  Not enough people do that.  And restarting is a very basic troubleshooting step.   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0