• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repeated refresh or regeneration of clip thumbnails

Contributor ,
Dec 20, 2014 Dec 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm editing in PPRO CC 2014.2 I have noticed now that each time I set a IN AND OUT MARKERS either in the SOURCE WINDOW or do a insert clip onto the SEQUENCE PANE,  all the thumbnails of each clip in the Project window and on the sequence

completely go blank to regenerate or refresh the image of the thumbnail per each clip.

I have to wait until the regeneration is done before I can continue.

I have the Latest desktop MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core INtel Xeon with 32 gigs of ram.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

2015.3 is out. Hopefully we can all put this to bed now, after two years.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 268 Replies 268
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi anthony,

i'm on PC. the files are hidden, and there's no way to store them somewhere else. (also according to that message by adobe it's not possible)

annoyingly, the directory also fills up with big PEK and CFA files, while none of my program settings (premiere, bridge, media encoder) directs it there, all programs cache settings are on either D disk or my external drive. it's not all of the PEK/CFA files, just a few, but the directory builds up in size rapidly anyway.

i really think it wouldn't be too difficult to troubleshoot, and a lot of people would he helped by this, if adobe would care. just filing bug report with no reply of feedback from adobe doesn't solve a thing

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌im subscribed to a couple threads on this forum --> this one and the one about the uber annoying 'playhead lag' . Both problems seem related Adobe. There is some sort of memory leakage in the program that causes all theses issues. Up until a couple of months ago, I use to suffer the auto-scroll timeline too...and the list is endless. I have now purchased Final Cut X and to be honest, it's great. I can even edit on my MacBook Pro!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Viva La Zoom,

im subscribed to a couple threads on this forum --> this one and the one about the uber annoying 'playhead lag' . Both problems seem related Adobe. There is some sort of memory leakage in the program that causes all theses issues. Up until a couple of months ago, I use to suffer the auto-scroll timeline too...and the list is endless. I have now purchased Final Cut X and to be honest, it's great. I can even edit on my MacBook Pro!

Feel free to file any bugs here. Keep in mind that OS X 10.11 is not yet approved for Premiere Pro CC 2015.0.2 (9.0.2). I don't believe either of these issues are related to memory leaks. Feel free to file your own post with details about your system and media. I ask you kindly to keep this particular post on topic: repeated refresh or regeneration of clip thumbnails. Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's -not- limited to mac, PC has the same (i work on PC).

this is why it's a good idea (i think) to not have individual bug reports. this is bigger that someone's system.

i keep wondering why it's so difficult to check what's changed between the two discussed versions, that concerns the thumbnail refresh.

also, the refresh by itself isn't the big deal, it's that the timeline doesn't play until everything is refreshed. you -must- wait for all the thumbnails to show up. (an switching them off doesn't help!)

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Hi everyone,

It's seems that nothing that we do in our end resolves this serious BUG. It doesn't matter if we file a bug report, talk or chat with Adobe technical support and gave them access to our computers. It doesn't matter if we write a post with a cool, angry, happy, desperate or sad tone. It doesn't matter if we spend hours of our precious family, personal, professional, spiritual or intimate time researching, testing, troubleshooting this bug. At the end its all the same, the BUG it's still there and much alive.

Adobe,

We as customers demand action on your end!

"Action will remove the doubts that theory cannot solve"

-Tehyi Hsieh-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree, their answer is file a bug report. that i do. then nothing happens. the response from premiere is really terrible. i no matter how nice the feautures are, i don't want to work with it. many people have the problem. we are being kept in the dark and paying for disfunctional software. why not have one adobe  programmer join this thread so we can solve it together?

i'm very disappointed.

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to chuck my $0.02 in. I also have this problem, but I have noticed that it only seems to happen on projects that I shot on the Sony FS7 - I usually use the XAVC-L 3840x2160 100Mbps format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is exactly what i mean.. i use panasonic GH4 footage. with the people here in this thread we can narrow the problem down easily i think,

but no, adobe only wants individual bug reports (from then reproducable type: "i hit these three keys and then premiere crashes..")

this problem is different, it's not a sudden crash but the system is gradually (but, im my case, very quickly)  going to a crawl.

i assume many people don't have the problem at all, but many have, what footage do they use, what systems (already know it's PC and mac). it should not be so difficult to find the culprit! but adobe doesn't want to change their single way of approach.

as soon as a good alternative is available i would change NLE, but i do like premiere (when it works) so i sincerely hope this will be solved soon.

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hate to burst the bubble, but it is not so easy to identify a culprit as the normal items have already been ruled out for anyone who has read through the thread. We have already determined the following:

Introduced in 2014.2

Not dependent on format (H264, ProRes, etc)

Not dependent on any type of renderer (CUDA, OpenCL, etc -- this should be obvious as it's a UI bug not a rendering issue)

Not dependent on amount of RAM installed or allocated (tried with both 16 and 32gb)

Not dependent on hard drive configuration (where the footage is stored) or cache settings

Not tied to a specific version of OS X (or apparently now Windows)

Not dependent on whether or not project was imported from previous verison

Log files do not show any useful information

deeeeeeeee wrote:

this problem is different, it's not a sudden crash but the system is gradually (but, im my case, very quickly)  going to a crawl.

Are you sure we're talking about the same problem? Thumbnail refresh happens to me basically as soon as I import footage and spend 30-60 minutes trimming and continues through all stages of the editing. It doesn't slow the system to a crawl per se, except at the very end when there's effects on each clip. Are you having a different issue with overall responsiveness?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is exactly what i mean, we can rule out many things because of this thread. with individual bug reports that adobe requires this would have been almost impossible.

and yes, i have the same problem, to be clear, not my whole system is getting slow but just premiere is very unresponsive.

basically, every time after moving the timeline, or zooming, i cannot playback until all thumbnails are regenerated. this takes many seconds (10.. 20...), even in fairly basic timelines.

and the thumbnails themselves are not the problem, switching them off gives the same delay, only i can't notice when i can start playback again. ( i mean, i can only start playback when all thumbnails are visible again)

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not be footage realted, but for me it only manifests itself with 4K footage, any HD stuff shot on my EX1, EX3 or 5D doesn't have the problem. It's only FS7 footage that is the problem, and I have used foortage from 3 different FS7s with the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i also think it could be in the footage. i use Panasonic GH4, not sure if it's doing anything 'special' with it's MP4 output. Do you use MP4 or MOV? maybe i should convert a whole batch of files to another format and see it it still occurs. but then, to which format...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can say with all confidence it is not the footage. I'm a freelance

commercial editor working for many clients on many systems with many types

of source material. It happens on every project no matter the camera type

or sequence setting.

I'm inclined to believe there may be something wrong with my user profile

but am leaning toward a general fault with the software.

For now I use the sudo purge method to get my system back every 30 minutes

or so and then the problem returns.

I'd be happy to come show Adobe the issue and bring samples from the last

few projects I've been editing. I'm local to SF and actually have some time

available next week if you think that would be beneficial.

I think I can speak for all of us that we aren't interested in pointing

fingers but really just want to fix the problem.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 10:13 PM deeeeeeeee <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok that's clear.

indeed i desperately want to fix it.. we all do. wow a great offer you do to abobe, i hope they accept. i live in shanghai so it's a bit more difficult

i can't do the sudo as i am on PC, i do notice my C disk running full every time with adobe files ( "C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files"  IMS and CFA files, -> and no, none of the cache or other premiere settings direct to my C disk). so i'm stuck with a NLE that crawls after every zoom or scroll. i waste a lot of time.

i hope for the 2015.3 version to be better but there's no sign if adobe is even working on it, or acknowledging it by now.

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2015 Nov 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree it's not the footage type as discussed earlier in the thread. Happens to me with H264, all variants of ProRes, and R3D.

I hope they take you up on your offer.

Has anyone experienced this issue in El Capitan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 2015.1 and currently testing for the thumbnail refresh issue, anyone else experience it yet? I also just updated to OS X 10.11.1 so I'm not sure how scientific this will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated yesterday, got the thumbnail issue within 20 minutes. I am still on Yosemite. Didn't see any mention of it on the bug list, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good to know 😞

but at least we have a free android app now 😞 😞

why the $$ paying professional customers don't get taken seriously is beyond me.

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the consumers far outnumber the pros. That's the reason apple made

fcp X.

Selling software isn't about keeping all of a user base happy all of the

time, it's about marketing features to entice new users and create market

share. That's what drives stock price and keeps the board happy - not

speeding engineering time to fix bugs.

So we will continue to get "features" like morph cut and warp stabilizer

that are rarely, if ever, useful in a pro situation while the pro users

complaints fall on deaf ears.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carsonporter wrote:

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Wrong, I use Warp Stabilizer is used all the time.

But I agree on everything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear withers. Maybe you could try opening an old project that was

affected and see if the issue persists?

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM WithersDigital <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'll be curious to see if there is any correlation to old projects - I have only been working on project files that I upgraded. The issue feels exacerbated now, I can barely make it 30 minutes on this project (lots of assets) without having to purge the virtual memory. I can live without the video thumbnails (they would always kill performance in Avid so I have always had to live without them) but the performance/playback hit is still killer.

Also, Withers did you do a fresh install of El Capitan and reinstall all of your software or did you upgrade Yosemite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually only been working in projects converted from 2015.0.2, and so far there have been no issues. I've even gone into an old project with loads of effects (noise reduction, magic bullet looks, all sure to make the timeline flash like a christmas tree) and it was fine.

This is a clean installation of El Capitan (10.11.1) + all Adobe apps.

However I do want to say that I am working out some kinks still with El Cap (I'm on a Hackintosh so this is always an ordeal), for instance it is only reporting 16GB of ram instead of the installed 32GB. I know someone previously had mentioned things running better (but ultimately not fixed entirely) when Premiere only had access to 16GB of ram, so that could still be a factor. I will try to get that resolved and then report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm knocking on every wooden surface i can find but it seems to have improved... i can zoom or scroll and it keeps playing (windows version 2015.1)...

but it's just one project i have here at home, will test in the office soon. (i made a disk image before upgrading just in case it would not work so i can restore)

fingers crossed....

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2015 Dec 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the issue is still present in 2015.1 on El Capitan. There could very well be improvements (seems to be at least somewhat) but it has started popping up again. Could also have just been the clean install that gave me a few days of carefree editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines