Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace a clip perfectly

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, 

When I replace a clip between two clips in a timeline, I delete the old clip and then specific and in and out points on a video (that is shorter than the deleted clip) then drag that onto the timeline and adjust.

Is there a way to do this more efficiently? I believe there's a way you can set a time in and out on the timeline itself then specific just an in and out point on your clip then adobe automatically trims the clip perfectly.

Anybody know how to do that?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Hi. I'd do this with a 3 point edit. I'd mark the clip I want to replace with in and out points by selecting the clip and pressing the "/" shortcut key. Then with the new clip I want to replace it with loaded in the source monitor I would set an in point where I want the new clip to start at. And then I would do an Overwrite edit by pressing the "." key. Learn more here https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/three-point-edits.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'd do this with a 3 point edit. I'd mark the clip I want to replace with in and out points by selecting the clip and pressing the "/" shortcut key. Then with the new clip I want to replace it with loaded in the source monitor I would set an in point where I want the new clip to start at. And then I would do an Overwrite edit by pressing the "." key. Learn more here https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/three-point-edits.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gerik's spot-on. This is precisely what 3-point editing is for.

And you can use it two ways ...

• first,set in/out on the clip in Source monitor or thumb view in Project panel;
  • set in or out point on the timeline;
  • use insert (will preserve other clips on timeline) or overwrite (will overwrite).

Or as Gerik noted, set in/out point on timeline, in or out point on clip in Source or bin. Then insert or overwrite as needed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yea, one thing I forgot. Make sure you pay attention to your source patching. If you have V2 patched but want to replace a clip on V1 then when you overwrite your clip will land above the one you wanted replaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks @gerikp! You are awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can skip marking the in/out in the timeline by dragging the new clip onto the old clip while holding Alt/Option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Replace with Clip > From Source Monitor, Match Frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines