Highlighted

Replace Clip with Sequence Error

Engaged ,
Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run into this a lot. The behavior is that I need to replace  a series of clips with a nested sequence and match timecode. In After Effects, it’s as simple as: right clicking the source in the project panel and right clicking replace with composition. In premiere it’s a lot more counter-intuitive (and slower)

Here’s my replace with clip Premiere work around for those who need it:

1) Right click the clip in the project panel/bin

2) Make a new sequence with that clip

3) Make sure that new sequence has all the same settings as the original clip (for some reason the duration doesn’t always match which is very annoying)

4) Right click that new bin and open it in your source monitor

5) Select the clip you want to replace, right click and select “Replace with Clip”—> “From Source Monitor, Match Frame”. You MUST have the item open in the source monitor and the settings MUST match or is this option will be greyed out.

6) Now do this for all your other clips. You have to do this one at a time   .

While a lot of this workflow is manual, at least you don’t have to manually select your in and out points!!

Unfortunately, Premiere gives the error that "the source clip lacks sufficient head material" - so I manually matched up the sequence duration with the clip duration and the time doesn't match up when I do match frame. Any ideas?

Would love to see that AE feature added to premiere in some way, would save me a lot of time!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Replace Clip with Sequence Error

Engaged ,
Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run into this a lot. The behavior is that I need to replace  a series of clips with a nested sequence and match timecode. In After Effects, it’s as simple as: right clicking the source in the project panel and right clicking replace with composition. In premiere it’s a lot more counter-intuitive (and slower)

Here’s my replace with clip Premiere work around for those who need it:

1) Right click the clip in the project panel/bin

2) Make a new sequence with that clip

3) Make sure that new sequence has all the same settings as the original clip (for some reason the duration doesn’t always match which is very annoying)

4) Right click that new bin and open it in your source monitor

5) Select the clip you want to replace, right click and select “Replace with Clip”—> “From Source Monitor, Match Frame”. You MUST have the item open in the source monitor and the settings MUST match or is this option will be greyed out.

6) Now do this for all your other clips. You have to do this one at a time   .

While a lot of this workflow is manual, at least you don’t have to manually select your in and out points!!

Unfortunately, Premiere gives the error that "the source clip lacks sufficient head material" - so I manually matched up the sequence duration with the clip duration and the time doesn't match up when I do match frame. Any ideas?

Would love to see that AE feature added to premiere in some way, would save me a lot of time!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 26, 2018 0
Engaged ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years after having this issue and solving it manually, I finally found a slightly better work around. Pulled from here.

1. Use the arrow keys in your timeline to navigate to each use of the clip in your edit.
  2. Press the "F" key to match timecode in your source monitor.
  3. Mark the original file (not the nested sequence).
  4. Create nested sequences for all of your clips. 
  5. Match the start timecode to match your clips. 
  6. Open up the nested sequence in your source monitor. 
  7. Navigate to the markers each clip is referencing. 
  8. Right-click the clip in the master sequence and select "Replace with Clip from Source Monitor Match Frame".

Again, still a slow process but does the trick nicely. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because this forum is terrible, the edit post option doesn't come up. 

The problem with this technique is that markers from a clip don't persist into the newly created nest. The move then is to have that new sequence open as a secondary timeline panel and then copy and paste the marker timecode. Annoying. 

Why can't this be simpler!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is primarily a user to user "peer" support forum, which is a good place to discuss things like this. The forum to propose things is their UserVoice system, which goes direct to the engineering team and also in collated form to the upper managers who decide budgets & features & such.

Yea, there's a number of things like this that could be easier.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
canvokey LATEST
Engaged ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes for sure. Not a novice on here! Just looking for a better method to make this happen. It comes up a lot so wondering if someone has a better workflow than I do. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 1