• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace source footage for a shorter clip keeping the same timecode?

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to replace a clip (source footage) with a new clip, but the new one is shorter and doesn't start at the same in point timecode. I would like premiere to replace while keeping the timecode offset instead of considering the new clip starts at the same point.

It's a simple thing, but a bit confusing trying to explain it in writing. 

Imagine you have a 10 second clip of raw footage. This clip was taken by a vfx team to do vfx while the editor edited the film. But the vfx team didn't export the whole 10 second clip with vfx, they exported only the part in the middle that would be used in the film (like from 00:03:07 to 00:07:18, for instance).

In the premiere timeline, nothing out of that timecode range is being used (but it's not just one single clip that goes exactly from 00:03:09 to 00:07:18 either, the raw footage was chopped up in the timeline into several short pieces). But now I want to replace the raw clip with the new shorter clip with vfx while taking into account that the new clip starts at 00:03:09 and not at 00:00:00 (basically the edited clips in the timeline should be offset by 00:03:09). I don't know if there is a way to tell premiere to do that when replacing the footage. Is there?

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try importing the vfx clip and padding it with black video for 3:09 at the beginning. Then export the padded clip in a lossless codec and reimport it as a replacement for the original raw clip.

I haven't tried it, but what if you modify the timecode of the original clip before replacing it, using Clip>Modify>Timecode? So the modified original clip starts at 3;09. Then replace the clip. I don't know if that will work but it might be worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a thought: can you ask the VFX guys to share the AEP file with you they used to do the visual effects? That way you can use dynamic link instead of relying on intermediate codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines