• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace with After Effects Composition causes crashing (Windows 10)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This problem started when I right click a clip on the timeline in Premiere and select "replace with after effects composition." After Effects starts to create a new composition but freezes and crashes. When I force quit After Effects, Premiere displays a "importer reported generic error" notice. I have been sending media from Premiere to AE all week with no problems, until it started doing this randomly. Sometimes it causes Premiere to crash too, but not always. Once this started happening, I thought I could try manually importing media into After Effects and locating the appropriate timecode moments. But now that causes AE to crash every time (was working fine hours beforehand). 

I've tried rebooting multiple times, clearing my media/cache, trashing preferences, reinstalling the drives for my GPU, and running both Premiere and AE "as administrator." I also tried updating both apps to their latest versions in Creative Cloud. Then I tried downgrading the programs. I just found out that Adobe has removed the option to install even older versions of their software, so now I am stuck. 

Very concerned. I'm in the middle of a client project that requires me to send lots of media from Premiere into After Effects. 

I'm on Windows 10

64 GB of RAM

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

-Mike

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now premiere has started to randomly change the color of clips in the timeline (haven't added any grading effects, lumetri color, etc.). Some clips stay the same, but others are have color levels wildly out of place (like completely desaturated but also bright blue in parts). I never changed the color space in my sequence settings. The distorted colors show up when exporting from the timeline also. Have never had this happen before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried reinstalling my GPU drives again, no luck. Also tried completely reinstalling Windows 10, which was my last resort. If After Effect is broken I thought I could at least try to fix the color issue in premiere. I tried transcoding the raw footage, from MXF to ProRes 422. But that act of transcoding it (using Adobe's Media Encoder) transforms the media into black and white for no reason. 

I don't know where to turn or what to do. It seems like all of Adobe's products are suddenly infected/broken for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After getting help from Adobe tech support, my solution was to transcode my media, which are MXF files. I neglected to mention the file type in my earlier post. In the past, I've always edited using MXF files without issues. Not sure why these files ran fine for three days, and then suddenly turned crazy colors. Perhaps they were corrupted somehow. Using the transcodes in After Effects (using "replace with after effects composition" in premiere) works fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install earlier versions of Creative Cloud.  Do some googling for direct download links for premiere, etc.

No guarantee who much longer they'll be available, but worth a shot.  You might also uninstall all the creative cloud and reinstall.  Do some searching here and you'll find out about how to completely uninstall these apps.  unfortuntely I'm out of town on a job and don't have access to my bookmarks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines