Highlighted

Resize mask while maintaining shape?

Engaged ,
Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably an elementary question, apologies because I can't seem to find an answer.

I want to create a rectangle and resize its proportions. I can resize it while keeping the default proportion, but there doesn't seem to be a way to draw a rectangle of the length and width I want while keeping square corners, besides tediously dragging each point and eyeballing the straight lines. Am I missing something?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Meg The Dog | Adobe Community Professional

Create a rectangular mask.

Click down near and drag over the two vertices that you want to move together to select them both.

Click on either one of the selected vertices and, holding the shift key down, drag in the direction you want to change.

MtD

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Resize mask while maintaining shape?

Engaged ,
Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably an elementary question, apologies because I can't seem to find an answer.

I want to create a rectangle and resize its proportions. I can resize it while keeping the default proportion, but there doesn't seem to be a way to draw a rectangle of the length and width I want while keeping square corners, besides tediously dragging each point and eyeballing the straight lines. Am I missing something?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Meg The Dog | Adobe Community Professional

Click down near and drag over the two vertices that you want to move together to select them both.

Click on either one of the selected vertices and, holding the shift key down, drag in the direction you want to change.

MtD

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 13, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2017 2
Enthusiast ,
Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meg The Dog

Ah yes, the old hold-Shift-near-a-mask-point-to-proportionally-resize-it trick. Sometimes I wonder about Adobe's decisions.

Coming from After Effects where things are a lot more sensible (double-click the mask to bring up a visual transform gizmo, or hit Ctrl+T, same as Photoshop), it never occurred to me that there was a mysterious hidden way to do this and, until this point, assumed it never existed. Guess I better catch up on the docs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not working for me. I hold down the shift and click and drag and absolutely nothing happens. The cursor does, in fact, change to the arrows to show me that it wants to resize, but nothing happens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest iteration of Premiere, select the two corners, then once selected, click down on one of the corners then hold down the shift key. If you hold the shift key down before clicking, you won't be able to do it:

ScreenFlow 12.17.56 PM.gif

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 4
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It worked.. of course it also crashed Premiere

What about proportionally resizing though? This technique doesn't seem to address that. There was originally the "he old hold-Shift-near-a-mask-point-to-proportionally-resize-it trick", which seems to still be in Premiere, sort of - when I hold down the shift near the vertex the cursor changes to what looks like a proportional edit icon, but you can't use it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2017 0
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an unlisted video addressing this as well.  It may help those who don't seem to understand what the problem is.

It's not working in 12 - YouTube

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2018 1
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the offchance someone finds this, PP behaviour in this regard is maddening and I'm wondering if there's a better way?  Holding Shift doesn't always work sometimes the point grabbed moves a few pixels making the mask not straight, it drives me crazy becuase there's no reliable way to do what should be the easiest thing in the world, like how hard can it be to keep the corners parallel to where they started?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem. As soon as I follow this method, Premiere ever so slightly SKEWS my straight line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I am in this same boat. Why on EARTH wouldn't they stick to their own conventions for such simple, critical processes... or at least create one that works more reliably?

A mask should function like any other vector shape does and be able to be manipulated with the same kinds of tools. They figured this out with most of their other tools... why is this so different and so unreliable in PP?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy. The rectangular mask isn't really a rectangular and lines that look straight are not quite so. So frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
Alam2001 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions yet?

This is ridiculous, what seems to be a trivial thing to resize the rectangular mask (unproportionally) while keeping 90 degree edges should be a simple thing!

PLEASE provide a solution!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1