Highlighted

Resolution of ProRes Low/Medium/High Resolution Proxies

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Premiere Pro 14.4.0, right clicking a video file in the bin and selecting "Make Proxy" now shows "ProRes Low/Medium/High Resolution" but no longer shows the resolution of each as in earlier versions of Premiere. What is the resolution and bitrate of low, medium and high resolution? 

Community Beginner
Correct answer by sahink | Community Beginner

ProRes High: 1536 x 790

ProRes Medium: 1280 x 720

ProRes Low: 1024 x 540

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Resolution of ProRes Low/Medium/High Resolution Proxies

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Premiere Pro 14.4.0, right clicking a video file in the bin and selecting "Make Proxy" now shows "ProRes Low/Medium/High Resolution" but no longer shows the resolution of each as in earlier versions of Premiere. What is the resolution and bitrate of low, medium and high resolution? 

Community Beginner
Correct answer by sahink | Community Beginner

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2020 0
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really need to know? This is an estimate of the quality offered by each of the Proxys options and the truth is that speaking of Proxys I would say that any of those options will work for you because in the end you will have to exchange with the original files to export in high quality.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course it is important to know. Useless and provoking reply.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Byron on this. The options allow for users to choose what level of visual quality they want from the proxy, low, medium, or pretty much visually the same. Other than that, they're not of much use.

Of course, it's very easy to test that, and you could get the result faster than even asking here. Create one short proxy file with each preset, taking a couple minutes. Then drag/drop the files one by one onto the MediaInfo icon on your desktop, and go into that apps' "Tree"viewing format.

It will show you the bitrate of the file quickly and clearly.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you take time to post your useless reply? I will post the resolutions here once I find out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 1
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies are designed to use simply for easing playback. In general, they are not a replacement media ... just to give you an adequate view and let the app play through complex timelines easier. Therefore, in nearly all circumstances, the important parts of a proxy format/codec are 1) how well it allows Premiere to play complex timelines versus original media and 2) if the visual quality is adequate to give you a decent idea of your basic editing ... cuts/pacing & such.

For that, knowing the exact resolution is not necessarily any more useful than low, medium, or high.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you will still insist on not understanding the importance of the proxy resolution. If you had noticed that only ProRes Medium is 16x9 and other two are not 16x9, you wouldn’t back what you just wrote here. Please use proxies other than Medium and struggle with those black bars while editing your footage until you step back.

Summary: Only ProRes Medium is usable in terms of accurate interpolation and keeping the same aspect ratio of the original footage. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please embed your screenshot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahink,

Thank you for posting your observations. Let's make sure the Premiere Pro team hears about it. Place a bug report on User Voice here. I will also make note of this issue, because I think your observation is quite valuable. 

I also think that knowing these dimensions are incredibly important to know so that you can fully dial in your workflow, so thanks for posting those. Another post was looking for the same info, I think, I'll try to share the info there too.

To an extent, I also agree with Byron. A lot of editors do not care about dimensions of their proxies, as long as they work correctly. However, if only one of those dimensions is 16:9, then that could strike up a problem.

Thanks again for your post.

Regards,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 1