• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

retiming a 24fps video to 23.976 for dvd authoring?

Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm supervising the restoration of a documentary from the 80's and need to author both dvd and blu-ray.  Not sure how I'll author it as adobe has seemingly made it impossible to authorize encore 6 without a serial number.  I do have license for CS5.5 so I can run Encore 5.1...  but even Encore 6 is way old.  I've got both a windows and apple systems, so that's not an issue.   But regardless, DVD authoring requires 23.976, 25, or 29.97 fps source video while blu-ray can take 24fps.  I'm thinking that my life will be easier if I retime the UHD master to 23.976 (aka 24p) for both blu-ray and dvd authoring so that captions and chapters will fall the same on both dvd and blu-ray.   make sense?

I've always been very happy with the results in apple compressor for the retiming which just changes the playback fps without changing any of the video and retimes the audio appropriately.  Not sure how to achieve this in Adobe Media Encoder...  In apple compressor, you set your frame rate in the video settings to 23.976 and choose "so source frames play at 23.976 fpx" in the general settings panel...  Don't see any obvious way to do this in Adobe Media Encoder.  And yes I understand this will change the duration of the file.  

thanks as always

Michael

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you might be overthinking this....??? I'm simple and basically dumb but I got cs6 creative suite ( last box before subscription ) and at some point ( after much testing using verbatim discs ) finally exported from encore 6 to iso and burned them in other program.

Never had to mess around with fps cause the export did that to try and conform to copyrighted dvd and bd formats.

sometimes the iso would get 're-conformed' by the third party program and if I finalized the disc it worked out OK.

the thing that drove me nuts was the chapter markers and menu items ( smart photoshop images for the chapters in main menu that are clickable by remote thing in your hand when you play stuff on tv )

I got real tired of that complication ....so now I just make a dvd or bd without menu items... just put it in computer and it plays... simple.

I never saw and discrepency with time and speed and so on... cause it's adjusted when exported, burned.

????

probaby doesn't help.

sorry you're having questions about stuff... I guess that's normal cause I woke up this morning and wondered if it was still 1000 degrees outside and humid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in general I'm happier controlling how this stuff is handled rather than hoping that the software handles it with the best possible quality...    and my client wants all the bells and whistles...  for both blu-ray and dvd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Ann.  Blu-ray does support 24fps but dvd does not (at least that's what I found on wikipedia a few months ago if I remember correctly).  so regardless as to which is usable in encore, I think it's smarter to convert to 23.976 before authoring either.  And is there a way to change the timing in AME as I described using compressor?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to use AME from PP timeline or add a file to AME bypassing PP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 can create DVD and Blu-ray Discs.  If you export the video files in Premiere as MPEG 2 DVD or H.264 Blu-ray, Authoring Works 6 does not reincode the videos.  This program only works on a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines