Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RGB Balance reverts RGB

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am looking to create an RGB split effect but I am having some difficulty with the RGB balance effect. I have added it to an adjustment layer. Then, for example I have first refreshed the effect making sure all of the R, G and B values are at 100. Then I make the G and B values 0. If I then click away from that adjustment layer. The value for R goes from 100 to 39. The same happens when I separate the other colours. I need it to stay at 100 when I make it 100. Why does it revert back to 39? And how can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this too but the actual picture (looking at the scopes) stays the same even when it drops to 39. I think this is just a value display problem. Adding keyframes shows the correct value when playing but again if you click away and back the value shown is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TiffanyD,

Why does it revert back to 39? And how can I fix this?

Sorry about the trouble, we are aware of this issue.

Our Engineering Team is working on a fix and it will be out soon.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue still there. Please Advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've no clue why you're using that effect ... it is only an 8-bit effect, so ... personally, I would never use it nor advise anyone else use it. Besides the controls are pretty useless. They haven't done anything with it because it's so old and outmoded is my guess.

So your best suggestion is to simply stop using it. There are other tools that work much better for any color work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R Neil Haugen  I find it obsurd that you say to stop using it, especially with your title as "Community Professional". This is an official effect from Adobe so why is there any need to stop using it? Pull your head out your arse and realise just because its old, doesnt mean it isnt useful you dumb b*stard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an 8 bit effect. Use that effet, and you drag Premiere out of 32-bit float processing to 8-bit processing for essentially the whole clip. In other words, 256 levels MAX in the computations process.

You WILL induce banding nearly immediately with any tonal or color changes worth noticing.

I don't care about being "old". I care about being lousy and damaging math. Which that 8 bit effect is. And I don't see any reason to be insulting and call people names in a public forum. Or even privately.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if this is the case, then what other coloring options would be more useful?  Because I've run in to the same issues and I'm not sure what route to take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which specific RGB effect are you using?

The "Color Balance RGB" is one I've seen a number of people using, and that one is 8-bit. Unwise. Especially as it does nothing the RGB curves tool in Lumetri can't do, except the Lumertri RGB Curves does it better and in 32 bit processing.

They also have the two in the "Obsolete" folder, "RGB Color Corrector" and "RGB Curves". Those are both 32 bit and GPU-accelerated at least. But the reason they're in the "Obsolete" folder is because the math used for the internal calculations is ... not necessarily completely accurate as coded. And in practical use. When the engineers are dubious about the code in their own application ... I take notice.

So those latter two effects won't necessarily "break your pixels" but the engineers give no guarantee about it either. Hence, "Obsolete". And one day, they just won't be there anymore.

So ... my question back: what precisely are you doing to the image? After I know that, perhaps I can give better advice about how to go about it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines