• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ripple trim - simple trim toggle

Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to trim any clip by dragging the edge of a clip in my sequence instead of the usual "trim" tool (red icon) I get a "ripple-trim" tool (yellow icon). Using it messes up my timeline as it pulls placement of other clips as I try to trim only one of them. 
I can switch between these tools by holding CTRL, but it switches back as soon as I relesase the button. I'm sure there's a permanent toogle between these tools, I just can's seem to find it. 

TOPICS
Editing , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Preferences > Trim.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences > Trim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us prefer the selection in the Preferences you're complaining about, because it is so freaking handy.

Hold over the cut, you get the Rolling tool, hold next to the cut, the Ripple tool. Easy and fast way to work, getting options without needing to do anything. Hold the Ctrl/Cmd key down and you get basic trim. Three tools, you only need a modifier for one.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer the ripple trim too. One hand on the mouse, one hand on the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann! You get it!! 

This is a very fast was to do finer edits.

Ripple trim (one hand one key press Q/W) has been REMOVED in 2022-2024. Unbelievable. 

I just upgraded yesterday from 2019 and can't believe this devastating time loss. Many younger editors I work with are convincome to switch to resolve which still has put beloved Q/W ripple trime one key press = one frame removal. Even Avid does. No more Premiere use until a developer reverts it back to the way Ann and I used it. Thanks for your help. 

- Kyle

Editor (DGC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think they should add the Rolling tool either way. Then it's just if you'd prefer ripple or basic tool as default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can clearly see the usefullness of it, however it does not fit a job I'm doing at the time and I was already quite used to it being the other way around, so having it swithced only annoyed me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy to switch back of course.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines