• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving A Project Marges All The Individual Segments Into One Combined Segment?! WT?!

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, first off, I'm brand new to Premiere Pro (having worked with Final Cut previously) and I've never been a particularly good video editor.

Now, that said, there are some aspects of Premiere Pro that outright hurt my brain.

Most pressingly:

I've been working on learning the basics, and had added two separate 'super' graphic segments to the V1 timeline and then added a video clip after them.

I then saved the file and closed it (because I wanted to trying fiddling with transitions in a new project.)

When I eventually reopened the initial project, both graphics segments and the video clip had been merged into one clip so they were no longer separate and individually moveable etc.  Why the actualy **** would Premiere Pro do that? How do I stop it from doing that?!

Anyone? Someone? Please help!

[Moderator note: this is a public forum, with all ages "coming" here. No profanity is permitted, not even intimated. Nor is it necessary in any way shape or form.]

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

You likely dragged your previous sequence into a new timeline.

Don't do that, unless you understand the consequences.

Instead, in your project panel, find the sequence that you want to work on and double click on it  to open it and resume working on it.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You likely dragged your previous sequence into a new timeline.

Don't do that, unless you understand the consequences.

Instead, in your project panel, find the sequence that you want to work on and double click on it  to open it and resume working on it.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Meg talks about is you probably 'nested' that sequence. How about showing a screen-grab, drag/dropped onto the text reply box area so we can see it? Especially ... if it's green, it's nested.

Double-click the nested section to open it as its own sequence, with the clips separate again.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that seems to be the case, Neil.
I'm pretty sure I hadn't intentionally nested anything, though. It's just weird the program wouldn't save everything so, when you reopen it, everything looks exactly like it did when you last saved it.  I mean that's some dumb UX in all honesty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An easy way for this to happen is due to an option for the sequence in the sequence header block ... called the "nest or not" icon/button ...

Nest or Not.PNG

See the sequence icon with the line through it above my red mark? If that is blue, like this ... any other sequence brought into this timeline will be brought in as a nested item. If its gray, then another sequence added to this one will be brought in as the clips.

It's designed to allow flexibility and a wide range of editing styles, workflows, and needs. But can be confusing to new users.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines