Highlighted

Saving premiere cc 2019 project as cc 2018?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be mistaken but I thought this used to be a thing.  I wanted to try the new cc 2019 for a bit (and yes I know that this is risky to use new software once it's been released).  So yes I found bugs and it keeps crashing sporadically on copy and pasting a clip in a sequence and moving that said clip.

Either way I just want to save my work and go back to cc 2018 for a bit but there's not an option for this.  Do I just lose my work?

Quick note it's a sound synced multi-cam sequence embedded into another so Final Cut XML will not work here.

Thoughts?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R_Neil_Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

You don't need to download anything though ...

1. copy your prproj project file
  2. on the copy, delete the .prproj extension, the period and all past it.
  3. right-click on the remaining file, go to 7-zip/extract here.
  4. open the file in wordpad.
  5. Starting down a bit from the top, you'll see:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<PremiereData Version="3">

<Project ObjectRef="1"/>

<Project ObjectID="1" ClassID="62ad66dd-0dcd-42da-a660-6d8fbde94876" Version="35">

<Node Version="1">

<Properties Version="1">

1. see the place it says " Version="35" ... ?
  2. Change that number to 34 for 2018, 33 for 2017 ... and on as needed.
  3. Save the file.
  4. rename adding the .prproj to the file again.
  5. open in the version you just modded the project file for.

Not everything will translate back as there aren't the new toys in the older version ... but I've done this many times to take projects back so I can use them in "Direct Link" process with SpeedGrade, and never actually had a problem.

Always do this with a copy of the project file!

Neil

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Saving premiere cc 2019 project as cc 2018?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be mistaken but I thought this used to be a thing.  I wanted to try the new cc 2019 for a bit (and yes I know that this is risky to use new software once it's been released).  So yes I found bugs and it keeps crashing sporadically on copy and pasting a clip in a sequence and moving that said clip.

Either way I just want to save my work and go back to cc 2018 for a bit but there's not an option for this.  Do I just lose my work?

Quick note it's a sound synced multi-cam sequence embedded into another so Final Cut XML will not work here.

Thoughts?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R_Neil_Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

<Project ObjectRef="1"/>

<Project ObjectID="1" ClassID="62ad66dd-0dcd-42da-a660-6d8fbde94876" Version="35">

<Node Version="1">

<Properties Version="1">

3. Save the file.

Not everything will translate back as there aren't the new toys in the older version ... but I've done this many times to take projects back so I can use them in "Direct Link" process with SpeedGrade, and never actually had a problem.

Neil

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty roundabout but it works!

How about it Adobe? Is this the official fix?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Official fix? No. Officially you cannot revert.

Its either xml or changing the project number, which has been done this way for quite some years now.

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<Project ObjectRef="1"/>

<Node Version="1">

<Properties Version="1">

3. Save the file.

Neil

16 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course one needs to download if one does not have 7-zip.

The program does not come with Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're thinking of After Effects which has the ability to save as to a previous version. For CC 2019 (version 16), you can save to 14.x or 15.x. And as noted, PR does not have this feature.

I'll emphasize the caution about the method described above. The main method (and different from Neil's) is to set the version to 1, so that any version, no matter how old, will convert the file. We don't know (at least I don't) how clever (or not) is the conversion. So if I am opening a PR CC 2019 project file in PR CC 2017, and it includes references to functions that exist in 2019 and not 2017, can it successfully ignore them or not? Does Neil's method help, by convincing PR CC 2018 that it is a 2018 file? Rather than an older version?

And btw, contrary to Neil's numbering, 2018 had 2 versions, 33 and 34. When 12.1.0 came out, you could not open 12.1.x in 12.0 or 12.0.1 etc.

Anyway, when needed, it is a reasonable thing to try.

3 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method did work with a few minor inconsistensies.  Lumetri color profiles were pretty off, but that was manageable.

It did save me a good bit of time recreating the work I had done rather than completely reverting back to my older project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When in Win10, Explorer, right click on a file, 7-Zip is about the second option in the list of Open and all.

I've had this in Win7 also.

I've never downloaded it.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have forgot about it....

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to sign in just to say thanks...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is extremely helpful, thank you thank you thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time I've ever posted here... I think.

Just wanted to say thank you that works a treat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it helped you.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bom dia.

Sua dica foi muito boa.

Mas tentei também e deu certo. Exportei do projeto feito na versão 2019 como (Final Cut (*.xml), depois abri o arquivo gerado direto na versão 2018 e abriu completo inclusive com as transições.

Grato.

Mesquita  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you R_Neil_Haugen, you're a life saver!

I can confirm this solution worked a treat for reverting CC 2020 files to the 2019 spec as well, in case anyone is encountering difficulty with the new version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried the steps to get back to the 2018 version and I'm getting an error msg, any ideas what to do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The on line method or Neil's method?

And what error message do you get?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's says " The Project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the one line option or manually change the file? One or the other may have made a mistake...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The oneline option? Can you elaborate please

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry; a mistake on my part. There a website that converts the prproj file to version=1. It is not officially supported; I thought the link above was to that site; the link is to a youtube that explains Neil's method. Except I think the youtube recommends changing the version to 1.

You probably forgot to rezip the file, or made an editing error.

Check to see if your new file is zipped? I don't see that step in Neil's directions.

Make a new file copy and try again?

Watch the youtube video above?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you will do

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a bash script I wrote to automate the process: Convert later versions of Adobe Premiere Pro .prproj files to CS6 · GitHub

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a mac OS equivalent to 7-zip?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7zip can perform multiple types of compression. The one used by Premiere Pro is gzip/gunzip. The Mac command line/console provides gunzip by default. See macos - Command to 'gzip' a folder? - Super User

7zip is not required for Mac or PC, all that is required is gzip/gunzip

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command line amateur here.

So where the above instructions say  [right-click on the remaining file, go to 7-zip/extract here] I would [gunzip filename.prproj] in the Console? Then change the document in a text editor, and gzip back to a .prproj?

Thanks for holding my hand.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a bash script I wrote that does it all: Convert later versions of Adobe Premiere Pro .prproj files to CS6 · GitHub

Sorry, I can't hold your hand.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gstuff720  wrote

Is there a mac OS equivalent to 7-zip?

Open a New Premiere Pro Project on an Older Version! Mac

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keka in the app store

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might I say this is crazy.   Adobe what is up...  Obviously you can open a 2019 project in 2018 it just takes a lot of steps.  Why not have a save copy in previous version?  Post a lot of warning about what might not work, but give us a chance. I have a very basic video project I need to hand over to a coworker who is still using 2018.  You are making me jump through hoops.  NOT COOL ADOBE!  Not cool at all.  My opinion of the company just went down a notch.  In the future I am certainly going to hold off upgrading to the next version of Premiere as long as I can to stay compatible with as many of my associates as possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many users that would appreciate an option that would do as you say. Offer to revert, with warnings that "X feature is unavailable in that version and will be disabled".

Adobe is driven by metrics. So go over to the links to the UserVoice system and vote up on both of the two top requests for this. Enough metrics, the upper managers open the budget bag to get something done.

Neil

Save for a previous version of Premiere – Adobe video & audio apps

Please allow backwards compatibility between previous & newer versions of Premiere. – Adobe video & ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure - though its patently absurd that we should have to do that for what should be 'no-brainer' funcionality.  The feature parity in their apps is beyond frustrating.  For me - what I encoutner the most - its the layered PSD imprort / export in to  / out of After Effects that drives me out of my mind.  They really need to put a pause on adding shiny new crap and instead make these applications work together like a proper ecosystem.

Sorry - not really trying to vent at you, but having just stumbled acoss this thread after having need to save a Premiere 2020 file down to 2019 only discover its basically impossible just pushed my button.  lol...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more.  Given that nearly EVERY Pr x.0.0 release has had crippling bugs, it's inexcusable not to have a downgrading option built into the app.  This is hubris from Adobe.

I doubly agree with your sentiment "They really need to put a pause on adding shiny new crap and instead make these applications work together like a proper ecosystem."  Dynamic Link shows such promise, but even the latest builds of Pr and Ae still lose the links.  I'm constantly having to Relink Ae Comps in Pr that get lost when I reopen a Pr project with Linked Comps, or just save my Project in Ae, and switch back to Pr.  And half the time I reopen an a Pr Project with Links, if the Links are still working, they've become unrendered.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines