Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Second audio track in multicam crashing export

Participant ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a multicam clip with two audio tracks, both WAV files from a ZOOM H5 sound recorder. I've discarded the camera audio from the multicam clip. The second audio track is mostly suppressed except for a couple of sections where the primary audio didn't pick up the sound well.

The editing process is fine, but my exports through both Media Encoder and PP crash shortly after the audio encoding is finished.

I think I have just discovered that removing the second audio track allows the export to complete successfully.

Any thoughts on what might be happening here?

Environment

• 2020 iMac 32GB and 2015 Macbook Pro 8GB (yep, it's underpowered both crash)
  • Premiere Pro 15.0
  • Media Encoder 15.0
TOPICS
Audio , Crash , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do the properties of the audio tracks match and do they both match the sequence settings?  Usually, Premiere will deal with almost any thing you throw at it, but every once in a while, it can help to match everything.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michael Grenadier . Thanks for your reply.

The audio tracks are both WAV and both came from the same ZOOM H5, different channels.

What properties do you have in mind for matching the sequence settings? My next test is to convert the tracks to MP3 and then try the export again - see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mp3's are probably not a good idea.  They're heavily compressed and can cause problems and loss of quality..  I'm asking about sampling rate and bit depth.  standard for video is 48k 16bit.   and although 44.1 sampling can work if all the audio elements match, if something doesn't match, there can sometimes be problems.  You can check the properties of your sources by control clicking on them either in the project or bin or in the timeline and choosing properties.  In the sequence, make the sequence active in the timeline (or in the project/bin) and going to the sequence menu and choosing "settings."

You might also try installing an earlier version of Premiere.  15 (or premiere 2021 - I have a serious problem with adobe's naming conventions...) is brand new and the latest version of 14 might be worth trying.  15 allows you to export an xml which will apparently open in 14 so you won't lose any work...  Keep us posted on your progress.  If you need more help, keep posting.    These kind of problems are never easy to troubleshoot from a distance...

Another thought if you were using the audio as part of the multiclip would be to "flatten" the audio tracks and see if that helps.  Duplicate your sequence before trying this....  and if the process isn't clear...  post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
   I've been trying to respond to your reply for a day or so, but the forum just won't accept the post and gives me no reason.... sigh... let's see if this gets through

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

My multicam sequences are two-camera recordings of panel discussions. The audio was recorded into a ZOOM H5 from the sound desk and I used the ZOOM's X-Y mic to pick up audience questions.

Both audio clips are single recordings running the entire length of the multicam sequence. If I am correct in my understanding of "flattening", it is to move all clips onto the same track. In my case both adio clips run teh full length, so I would need to mix them down to one track.

I have noticed that my ZOOM audio is 44.1kHz and the sequence audio is 48kHz. I also have some mone/stereo mismatches. I'm trying to get those lined up and see how it work.

All my sequences edit fine in PP and the audio sounds normal, it's just the export that fails.

The various properties are below.

Multicam Sequence:
  3840 x 2160
  01;01;10;08, 25.00 fps
  48000 Hz - Multichannel mapped to Stereo
  Color Space: Rec. 709

Audio track 1:
  Type: Waveform Audio 
  File Size: 370.13 MB
  Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 16-bit - Mono
  Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
  Total Duration: 01:13:19:41476

Audio track 2:
  Type: Waveform Audio 
  File Size: 740.23 MB
  Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 16-bit - Stereo
  Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
  Total Duration: 01:13:19:41476

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! Finally.... it let me post when I took out the text styling I had put in with the forum's rich-text editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope that's not what flattening is.  If the audio is part of a multicam clip, control click on it and you can "flatten" it, What that does is replaces the multicam clip with the acutal audio clip that's being used at that point, so you cannot go back and switch the "angle" of that clip.  It sometimes solves problems to flatten muticlips.  It's been a few years since I've done a large complex multicamera project, but if I remember correctly, one thing flattening solved was being able to export an xml to do color correction in resolve.   And it's certainly worth a shot to duplicate your sequence and flatten the problematic audio if it is actually part of the multicam material.    And yeah, mixed sanpling rates can cause issues that are hard to predict so resampling the zoom audio to 48k is probably a smart move.    Theoretically you should be able to resample the audio files, and make the clips offline in premiere and then relink them to the resampled audio.  

Have no idea why you were having issues posting.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Prior to getting your reply I went the other way and set the audio smapling to 44.1khz through all sequences. That certainly sped up the audio process and the export is not crashing but the sound is not working properly in the exported video. It starts off OK then stutters later, or is missing. If I read the file back in I can see the audio waveform but it is not playable in Quicktime. This is driving me up the wall. 

My next step is to do what you suggested, resample the audio to 48kHz  stereo (using Audition - one of the audio track is mono) and then restore the chain of clips and sequences to 48kHz and try again.

....and this was supposed to be a simple job.

Thanks for your suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines