• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Separate X and Y Position keyframes?

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I separate the X and Y position attributes so I can keyframe them separately? I know I can do this in AE, but can this be done in Premiere?

Thanks!

Best,

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

The controls are exactly the same. Can you explain in more detail?

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 10.35.11 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 10.34.56 AM.jpg

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kevin...

In AE, you can right click on the position keyframe, and choose 'Separate Dimensions'... In this way, you can control the X and Y separately...

Can something similar be done in Premiere?

Best,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Unlock them so they are independent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the troubles with the way Premiere works is if you add velocity changes, easy in/out etc it works on both x and y together, it would be good if they could be separated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does unchecking 'Uniform Scale' work for what you want to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy...

Where do you unlock them? Where is the 'uniform scale' checkbox...

Again, this is for Premiere Pro....

Thanks!

Best,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like 'Uniform scale' is a resizing option, not a position option.. This will not let you set the X and Y coords keyframes independently

Best,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cant do that in Position ands I am  not sure  how it would work there.

Its logical that they are linked.  An image can only be in one 2D space at a time so it will always have an X and a Y at any point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your reply, but it is very logical and desirable to be able to separate the two.... That's why you CAN do the exact thing in After Effects. You can choose to have the X and Y coords separate in AE, but I guess not in Premiere...

For example... Maybe you'd like to move the X coord from the 1 second mark to the 10 second mark, but you'd like to move the y coord only from the 5 second mark to the 10 second mark... You can't do this in Premiere...

Anyways, I found a work around by setting the X coord keyframes, then nesting and setting the Y coords... A pain to be sure, but it works...

Best,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us  the effect of what you did?  a little movie?

If I got it right from what you said:

For example... Maybe you'd like to move the X coord from the 1 second mark to the 10 second mark, but you'd like to move the y coord only from the 5 second mark to the 10 second mark... You can't do this in Premiere...

I would have Key Framed move  1 (X direction),   from 1 second until the 5 second mark and added another KF for move 2 (Y direction) to  final position that ends at 10 secs.

The X and Y will always follow each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, give it a try...

You'd like to have the horizontal component of the move be linear. You'd like to vertical component of the move to ease out with a bezier curve...

You'd like to begin the X move at 1 second, and the Y move at 5 seconds...

Simple to do in AE....

Let me know how you'd do that in Premiere...

Best,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want x to move smoothly from 1 to 10 sec and y to move 1 to 5 sec with an easy in and out, the smoothness of the x is destroyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.... That's why you want to separate the values...

Look, if there was no point in being able to do it, then they wouldn't let you do it in After Effects...

My only questions was whether you could also do it in Premiere, as it makes things very easy in AE...

I believe my question is asked and answered... No, there's no way to separate the values in Premiere the way you can easily do so in AE...

Does anyone know differently?

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This..

You'd like to have the horizontal component of the move be linear. You'd like to vertical component of the move to ease out with a bezier curve...

...explains what you want better to me  and I now get what you are asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

Bejamine Freedman wrote:

Hi, Kevin...

In AE, you can right click on the position keyframe, and choose 'Separate Dimensions'... In this way, you can control the X and Y separately...

I understand now. I could only locate the command in the Animation menu and Graph Editor in After Effects CC 2014.1. I could not locate it in the contextual menu.

Bejamine Freedman wrote:

Can something similar be done in Premiere?

I don't believe so. It sounds like a good feature request, though: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution, add the transform effect to the clip, do the 'x' in the fixed motion effect and the 'y' in the added transform effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I did Position, then Anchor =]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me—and seems to be the best workaround since Position does not allow you to keyframe X and Y independently, as you can in After Effects. I find this becomes a problem after adding easing.

I am doing some Ken Burns camera moves on photos and it was really bugging me that Y was changing value when I didn't want it to—especially after adding Ease Out and Ease In on my Position keyframes. Anchor Point served as my X coordinate and Position was my Y coordinate, and now my animations are more controllable.

screenshot_239.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click "position" then click seperate dimensions from the drop down menu. You owe me a million dollars. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere Pro? I don't see that option in the submenu. 

screenshot_1010.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still not available in Premiere pro 2021, and is a constant frustration for me (especially when switching between PP and AE).

Please vote for this as a feature request: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43998261-separate-motion-po... 

Cheers,

Landon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines