• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Serious Performance Issues with Premiere Pro (14.0)

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally reaching out to this community as surely someone else must experience similar performance issues as me with Premiere? I don't want to give up on Adobe, but it has just came to a point where their products are complely unusable.

Long story short, premiere struggles BIG time with even displaying a fluid timeline, with no effects, scaling - NOTHING applied.

The crazy part is that I just tried a AMD 5700 XT card instead of my GTX 1070 - and it's no difference at all.. 

CPU 100% and GPU 0%
My spec

• i7 @ 3.8ghz
  • 32 GB DD4 Ram
  • SSD 
  • Nvidia 1070 (tried AMD XT 5700)

I also tried wiping windows 10, fresh install with only Premiere installed

Anyone has any ideas?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This icon indicates a problem. Can you click and it tell us the error message?

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tobiq,

Sorry for the frustration. Looks like some terrible performance going on there. Do you have the GPU engaged in Project Settings?

Your computer sounds OK spec wise but what about the rest of your system, like media drives? How are they connected? Internally, USB3, or Thunderbolt?

Do you have your .mp4 media on media drives? That's not normal for a standard NLE system. I recommend that you need 2 SSDs at a minimum, one for your OS and one for your media. Your performance will be far greater once you do that. If you really want to skyrocket performance, get a third SSD for your media cache. You'll be glad you did.

Have you tried proxies or transcoding your footage? In my opinion as an editor with years of experience: 4K H.264 or HEVC is the mark of the devil and must be dealt with before you start editing with it. I prefer to transcode to ProRes LT. You might try it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as me Kevin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, and thanks for your reply !

Yeah the computer should be enough hardware wise, even trying a different GPU like the Radeon RX 5700 makes squat difference. I have exactly the same issues on my home PC actually, with similar hardware.. Even using my M.2 Drive for the media does nothing (and I get 3000 MB (megabyte!) per second read on that drive..). So I don't think it's a data xfer issue. 

I like the concept of proxies, unfortunatly I had no good experience with it. For example, I film a lot of my footage in 4K 60 FPS, and then interpret it to 30fps to get a nice slowmo.. If you use proxies, it wont work and your timelime screws up completely, especially if you try to use any time tools.

The footage I use mostly is from GoPro 7 and Mavic Pro.. My 360 footage? haha Forget about it..

I can't wrap my head around why one can play the videofiles in lets say vlc or any other video player, scrub forth and back with lightining speed - all in full res 4k.. Just dropping the same clips in PP without any effects applied can't even play it back without stuttering, in 1/8 qual..!

I noticed an interesting thing.. I would get slightly less lag and stutter if I enable the INTERNAL gpu... And upon exporting a test clip, it went from 1:30
min to 1 min render time.. I can see that it uses the internal intel gpu and CPU 100% and external GPU is sleeping pretty much..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies are the ONLY way to edit.

You are right that if you interpret footage in premiere then make the proxies they will be wrong. BUT you can get around this. You MUST interpret the proxies before they are created as well:

1. Interpret footage in premiere.

2. right click in premiere and "create proxies"

3. When they populate in media encoder hit red "STOP" right away on top right corner

4. Highlight the clip that began to encode and right click and "Reset Status"

5. Delete that partial clip in the finder

6. Highlight all the clips in encoder and right click and interpret them as you did in premier and start the encode

7. Make sure you add the toggle proxies button and you are good to go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies are the only way to edit.... what? 

30 seconds of H.264 1080p video?

Because thats actually pathetic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not notice lag with using H.264 then you are not paying attention or just got used to how sluggish it is performing. Editing should not be like that. You want the footage to always be smooth no matter how short the clips are. Get in the habit of making them. 🙂  Also if you start editing with professional content shot on RED and ARRI cams for commercial work you will understand better I think.

It may be why you seem to have so much technical trouble with Premiere. If you treat the programe well, it will treat you well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand where you are coming from, and I have used proxies many times in the past, it definitely speeds things up. But going through that process for a short edit is a pain. Im not making money in the industry, and I don't have all the time in the world to sit on premiere and create proxies for everything I make. Good to know this plagues everyone though. I'll probably switch to something that handles it better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with H.264 is it has become a somewhat universal export format because the compression is high but it still maintains a good HD picture. The flip side is the Codec, by its nature is very very processor intensive. If you don't have a high-end processor in your machine you're already behind the curve of being able to edit H.264, no matter what name is on the NLE software. Adobe has tried to mitigate that with proxies. Another solution is to transcode the material to something like DNXHD. Avid actually transcodes everything into their own codecs as step 1. If you use the media browser to import your media and select the "import" checkbox and have Adobe Media Encoder transcode your material it can do it in the background, so that beginning time when you are organizing/laying your initial ideas out it may be choppy, but once the media gets transcoded in the background it should be a lot smoother because your processor won't be maxed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get very tired of people posting about proxies when performance is raised.

Please don't do it! Assume that the people posting either

1) have a good reason for not using proxies

2) are experiencing degraded performance compared to the previous version.

I was forced into using a proxy workflow between cc2018 and 2019 because suddenly my DJI h.264s would not playback smoothly.  It is entirely reasonable to expect software that you pay $1000 a year for to *GET BETTER*.  It is also reasonable to be annoyed when not only does one of the "improvements" slow you down, but breaks your workflow.  It is not reasonable to expect users to change their workflow to workaround an introduced deficiency in the software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

getho,

If you want to complain to the engineers/developers, go post on the UserVoice site, which is what that is there for. ALL posts are read by at least one engineer. They are also collated and delivered to the upper managers who decide budgets. Those people live by metrics ... so give them some metrics.

In fact, please go over there, and add on to every issue that is a problem for you. Encourage everyone you know to do so also! Let's give them enough metrics to get more work on some of these things.

They're doing some major changes in H.264 encoding/decoding processing now, released through their Public Beta and even now in the public 14.2 release, H.264/HEVC encoding/decoding hardware acceleration is built into the app. As long as your gear is capable of doing the work, of course. So for more users now, H.264 playback/encoding is performing significantly better. Not everyone, no. Some don't have new enough gear to do anything with the new code, and I'm sure there are some rigs where the way the computer is setup that it is choking on the new code. They'll have to sort that out.

THIS forum is provided for pratical solutions, provided primarily by other users, who are just trying to help someone get back into production with the app as it is. 

We can't change the app, but we can provide workable suggestions around issues like this. Which, for some reason, you object to.

I get the unhappiness with how you feel the app should run. I don't know a user without some angst over something in this or any other post-processing app.

What I don't get is your seeming anger over other users offering practical suggestions to get someone just getting stuff out the door. 

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been posting on uservoice for as long as it's been around. A fruitless exercise. It is hardly surprising that some of the frustration makes its way to the forums. 

I want to keep using premiere, otherwise I wouldn't be here.  I don't understand, how you don't understand that the blanket "use proxies" is not a helpful suggestion.  When do the workarounds outweigh the advantage of familiarity?   My current bugbear with cc2020 is an interpreted footage/time remapping bug.  The workarounds are onerous enough that moving away from premiere is the most logical time-saving option.

My workflow with premiere is already crammed full with workarounds to its idiosyncrasies, and I'm hardly a power user.  If core functionality is broken from one version to the next adobe should be chasing down the reasons, they should be seen to be investigating. We should not be making excuses for them and trying to workaround the issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would the UserVoice system not feel a useless exercise to you? And that is a serious question ...

It's frustrating that the development staff don't often respond to queries/posts, though we've had enough shocked users posting back on here that they'd been contacted and asked for further data/project files/media/whatever that it's clear they do read those.

It's frustrating when something one is really bugged at as a user doesn't get changed quickly. I've got a number of issues in that vein myself. And a few things that when the engineers see me coming at events, they know they're going to hear about X, Y, and Z again ... and yes, they certainly will.

(I've never been shy ... )

It is nice that we are finally getting GPU use for H.264 encoding/decoding. Which has been requested for a long, long time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in answer to your question: If anything I had ever posted had been addressed in any way.

It is wonderful for you that you get to speak directly to engineers, but that makes you atypical.

There have been reasonably high profile youtubers that have publically tried to engage with premiere engineers and have got nowhere.  

I have had direct interaction with both lightroom and photoshop engineers.  I have never seen any premiere issues I've found even been acknowledged.  

But look my point is that by defending premiere, and by finding ways to work with its flaws, we create a culture where Adobe feel like they can happily ignore us, and where bugs go uncontested for years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would expect that after paying a hefty premium for Adobe premiere's monthly subscription that the quirks and bugs would be fixed but apparently many user's problems are just falling on deaf ears. Adobe is a business and it seems like its incredibally hard for them to acknowledge and provide a fix for things that cost precious time and complications in our workflow. I have to agree with getho here. If there are no practical solutions for ongoing bugs and issues with the software, why hasn't there been any acknowledgement of the fix from engineers. Most importantly, why are the problems that many users are facing falling upon deaf ears?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think some perspective is getting lost in all of this. Yes, it is frustrating that small issues persist for a long period of time. I've had an issue with the way Premiere imports Panasonic P2 media from day 1. Used User voice, these forums, every outlet possible and almost 5 years later the problem still exists. I found a workaround to the problem, so it isn't life-altering, but still, it would be nice if Adobe would address the issue.

But I'm also a realist. Any non-linear-editor software out there has issues. Avid? Yup, cut on it for 12 years, we would bang our head on a desk almost daily. Final Cut? Yup, I know people who cut on it who are ready to try out for the US Olympic MacBook tossing for distance team. NLE's are incredibly complex pieces of software, not to mention they are trying to service what is becoming a nightmare of video standards. I've been a television news photographer for 27 years. When I started in the business there were maybe 3-5 professional formats being shot on... 3/4 inch tape if you had old equipment. Betacam, pretty much the standard for a solid decade, DVCPro crept in after Panasonic's miserable MII format. But no matter what the tape format was, the base engineering in America was the same, NTSC, 4x3 480 television, 29.97 frames per second that we all just rounded up to 30. That's all the engineers had to worry about the final image being. It was PAL if you were over in Europe, but beyond those two formats that was it for video.The Hollywood people shot fancy film at 24 frames per second, so you'd see 24 frame projects and wonder what that was all about. Now, it goes from 480 all the way up to 8K, 24 frame? 30 frame? 60 frame? Not to mention aspect ratios are all across the board from 1x1 for Instagram to 16x9 to just about any other combo you can dream up. Someone has to write all the code for that, and try to keep up with all the changes. Not to mention digital media means the software has to be able to read from thousands of camera formats directly, vs the old days of plugging analog decks into a bridge, and the software just had to know the one bridge. You hope they can swing a good bat, but no one bats a thousand. Ever.

Part of the responsibility for smooth operation falls on the end-user too. All these changes mean more computing power is necessary. The broadcaster I work for puts my HP Z book laptop on a 3-year replacement schedule. If you've ever priced those notebooks you'll know that isn't a cheap schedule to follow. They do that because they understand that our hardware needs to stay current to ensure reliability in the field. We used to cut on Avid Newscutter. Sure we had the software for 4 or 5 years between major upgrades, but the number of features we were losing out on was enormous that way. With Adobe we are staying right on the cutting edge of innovation (if we choose to upgrade to the latest version) From CC 2018 to CC 2020 you've started in on your third major release of a piece of software, chances are you're due to evaluate your hardware. PC towers are much easier as you can add or upgrade RAM much easier, swap out an old 7200 drive for an SSD drive and get legs out of your hardware investment. Eventually your processor will become outdated, as will your graphics card. This is some of the most intense software developed for the creative artist out there, you have to make sure as you upgrade that your machine is up to the task as well.

We are asking engineers to try to get every combination of camera, resolution, and aspect ratio right every single time. Again, no one bats a thousand. Ever. But I'll take Adobe's at-bat percentage most days. If you can't live with it, the door to exit is marked "Cancel my account"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think we can assume that every poster understands and has tried the proxy workflow...  and if they have, that they're implementing it properly...    If you find an update degrades your performance, revert to the previous version that was working properly.  Updates often require better hardware, that's the nature of the beast and his been since the beginning of NonLinear Edit systems.   If you need the new features in the update and your hardware is not up to the task, you'll need to update your hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin these are the same issues a lot of us have been having with PPCC2020. Everything works fine in PPCC2019 with exact same footage. We all appreciate the attempt at a troubleshoot but it is a PPCC2020 issue that need to be addressed and not our systems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  I'm now trying to figure out what to tell my client.  So frustrating! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew someone else must experience the same issue, YES!  I can confirm ALL media is playing perfectly in the source monitor, but not on timeline..!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tobiq,

Did you ever solve this issue? Let us know.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is not understanding this isn't a computer hardware or drive issue. There is something seriously wrong with PP2020. None of these issues were present in PP2019 running the same footage. The thread I posted has the exact same issue with the same complaints all from professional editors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines