• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting tools to "Hold" function instead of "Toggle" function

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done a lot of research to see if this is possible but I don't think it is. Please correct me if there is a way! 

What I think would make trimming footage down quicker is having the option to make the razor tool set to a "Press & Hold" option rather than a "Toggle" option. Meaning, instread of hitting the "C' key to toggle the razor tool, if I hold the "C" or "Shift + C" key it would temparaly turn my curser into the razor tool and once I let it go, it would return to the selection tool. Exaclty like how holding down the space key in photoshop turns your curser into the hand tool.

This would make it where I could quickly make my cuts, let go of the keys, make my selection of the cut and ripple delete. 

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of which tool you have selected, move the playhead to where you want to cut and press the keyboard shortcut Command (Control) + K. The tool choice remains unaffected.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lame. I want my playhead to keep moving while I also slice up my footage with a 'hold" cut tool. The difference is I can at least use my mouse cursor to edit instead of having to MOVE the playhead over the desired cut. Not fun. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I don't think there is the option to do that with the razor tool, there are several other tools that can be activated by modifier keys like you are describing.

The general tendency as one grows as an editor is to move  away from the mouse and to utilize the keyboard more. The razor tool tends to be heavily used early on, and less so as you advance. That's at least my experience and what I've seen - but to each their own. Obviously the more options to customize the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont' care about other tools as they see a fraction of use.

Why can't adobe just give us the option. I should have the option to be able to QUICKLY pin point a slice in a clip whithout needing my playhead on it.

I don't know who created that no mouse ideology I just want to edit as fast as possible. For scrubbing through hours of footage,  cutting out the bad takes while the footage is rolling at 2x speed the keyboard can suck my cunting ass. I use my keyboard plenty. And Isn't the genereal CiNemA standard to ditch both all together? and use wheel and pads instead? also screw little kids too that's another hollywood pro move i guess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, good luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, looking for this exact same thing. Best I've come up with is to change C from "razor tool" to "add edit" and shift+c to "add edit all tracks." It would be great to add customizable "hold" shortcut functions in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines