Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Settings for mp4 export

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to Premiere--thanks for any advice.

I'm trying to export a timeline sequence to an mp4. When I did export it--the timeline completely jumbled-whole sections of images were missing, clips I did not include in the edit appeared, etc. It was so strange...I have no idea why...

This is what the timeline looked like. So I went back to an earlier autosave and created a new sequence to export as an mp4 to a high-quality HD setting. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.37.02 AM.png

I wanted the image to fill the screen at 100% but it was set to the following below. When I try to reset it for 1920x1080--I get the following message. I'm afraid to select anything. Is it ok to follow-through? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.35.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.24.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.25.31 AM.png

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any time you change anything about a sequence, any previews will be no longer useful, so it dumps them. No problem at all, they're just previews.

Curious about the non-square pixels ... any reason for the .9091 PAR setting? What's the media?

And what's going on in the area with diagonal stripes on clips?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never figured out what happened with the media and the stripes--it took out a big portion of my project as I exported it. I think it was user error as I was copying the original media to another external drive for someone else to edit on the timeline and with the relinking, I messed up my file structure. Thanks for getting back to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving media and relinking, especially if the files have separate audio, can be problematic. Yea, that happens.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media files are generating when you render your timeline (without exporting). its fine if those got delete.

As for the missing/confused files. most likely you moved some files around and Premiere recognized/links other files with the same filename from a different source.

It is always a good practice to rename your files comprehensively, in a way that there will be no way for duplicates. (ex: Project_Date_CameraName_CardName_Original Filename)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To start with, take a look at the properties for the footage and make sure that it matches the sequence settings.

This is what has gone wrong from start, you have editied on a DV 720x480, interlaced, Lower Field First timeline and probably placed 1920x1080 footage on it and use the Position/Scale to "move" the footage to the intended place in the video frame. Then you have changed the sequence settings to 1920x1080 but still keeps all other settings, iow Pixel Aspect Ratio to DV NTSC (0.9091), Lower Field First while it should have a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.0 and either Progressive or Upper Field First. This results in sections of video missing in export.

Thumb of rule:

If the footage is 1920x1080, 29.97, Upper Field First, the Sequence Settings should be 1920x1080, 29.97, Upper Field First and the export should be 1920x1080, 29.97, Upper Field First or 1920x1080, 29.97, Progressive if it is intended for the web.

When using footage X on a timeline with Y setting and export with a X or Z setting you will have problems and the export will look bad. Avoid any mis-match.

So make sure to know your source footage, right click on it and choose Properties. (See image below) Make sure that the Sequence Settings match the settings of the source footage. Then you have to manually reset the properties for the clips on the timeline that you have adjusted Prosition and Scale to get back on track.

Short version:

The issue is not the setting you use when exporting, the issue is the settings and workflow you used when you started the project. 🙂

prop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. Premiere was consistently freezing for me as I was working, even though my Mac had a lot of memory available, other programs closed, etc. Someone told me to move the source footage folder from the external hard drive that I was locating my files and move it to my computer desktop to work from there. The idea was that it would be faster if I worked from a folder directly on my desktop. I did offline the files and relink them but it exported completely strange--actually putting in clips in the timeline that I had cut much earlier. 

Any thoughts on if that's possible that the external drive can be too hard to work from when in Premiere? My Drive (WD easystore) has 12TB and 10TB free. I like that filename structure though so there's that to be sure I do next time I build a project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 9.08.00 AM.png

  

Thanks for your reply. I filmed 4k with a SonyA7iii. When I click on "get info" on my Mac on the clip I get the following image (see screenshot above). Does this show all that I need to see? Still learning how to film and understand the terms correctly...

For the timeline sequence, I was importing the 4k clips to a 1920X1080 setting and then resizing the clips from 50% on up on the timeline because I was exporting to HD High Quality and thought it was still ok to do that up to 100%. I think that's what you are saying perhaps messed things up--plus not having the correct settings on the timeline sequence settings when I imported the files to start with.

As you can see I have some really wonky settings for my timeline sequence here. So for the 4K footage exporting to 1920x1080 do I need to follow the settings you mentioned here? 

"If the footage is 1920x1080, 29.97, Upper Field First, the Sequence Settings should be 1920x1080, 29.97, Upper Field First and the export should be 1920x1080, 29.97, Upper Field First or 1920x1080, 29.97, Progressive if it is intended for the web." Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 9.15.22 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok-so I'm right-clicking on clips inside the Project Bin in Premiere and I see Properties vs. Get Info and it says more of what you are talking about... I'm surprised the framerate was 23.. I thought I set it at 29...

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 9.55.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was importing the 4k clips to a 1920X1080 setting and then resizing the clips from 50% on up on the timeline because I was exporting to HD High Quality and thought it was still ok to do that up to 100%.

You had a DV setting in the timeline you posted in the first post, that´s the same resolution as a DVD and very far away from 4K. That will cause problems.

Using 4K footage on a 1080p timeline is not "wrong" and can have advantages if you want to reframe the footage for some reason. But it is more convinient, IMHO, and timesaving to edit 4K in a 4K timeline and upon export just export to 1080 and be done. That requires no fiddling with Scale or Set to Frame Size when editing. It is a godsend to edit 4K in a 4K timeline the day you want to export it as 4K. Both ways has it´s advantages and dis-advantages.

I have indeed done the same mistakes as well back in the day and what i learned was to always know my source footage (resolution/framerate/pixel aspect ratio) to save time and have the sequence settings match the footage. 

Generally it is ok to edit with external drives but it can be challenging sometimes. For best performance it is best to use an internal drive, but not always possible,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks for your quick response and help. I'm going to follow that advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Looking for the right settings to create a 4K timeline. I shoot 4K with a Sony A7iii with plans to export HD. Any suggestions? Again, thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 5.20.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-01 at 5.22.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-01 at 5.23.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is to right click on a source clip in the Project panel and choose New Sequence From Clip. Then i would go to Seqeunce > Sequence Setting to double check that everything is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere has quite a few "moving parts" that can balk up the working playback. From the media itself, as say H.264 is far more difficult for NLE playback than an intraframe codec, to the location of the cache & media files. They all matter.

Cache files need space, and they need fast connections to the CPU/RAM and other subsystems.

Media files also need space and fast connection, preferably on a different drive than the cache or OS/Program files. Many external drives simply can't maintain the sustained speed needed, but some can.

TB3/USB3.1 and higher, with appropriate cables and specialized SSD drives like the Samsung T5 model can at times provide enough fast external access for media use. ESATA ... external SATA ... was a 'thing' for a while a decade back on higher-end laptops, and I had one with that. I could run an external drive and sustain above 4GB/s general use with it, nearly to what an internal drive could provide. But they stopped working with that connection.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mixing frame-rates between clips and sequences is possible and often works ok, but occasionally can be problematic. So it's wiser to avoid when you can. And work around when you can't. If you now your deliverable needs or should be X, it's wiser to make sure all cameras and media prepped for the project are made in X framerate to begin with.

As to framesize issues ... it's very common to work UHD (3140x2160) on an FHD (1920x1080) timeline. Like most, I recommend setting the preferences scaling default to "set to framesize" as that puts the larger media in full-view on the sequence without actually scaling down the pixel count. This means that if you then decide to 'zoom in', you don't suffer pixelation issues.

"Scale to framesize" resets Premiere's "knowledge" of that clip to the framesize of the sequence anywhere it's used. So that 3140x2160 clip is now only 1920x1080 to Premiere. Now, apply a scale option to zoom in, and it scales up the 1920x1080 image. Bad.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines