Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Severe audio degradation in Adobe Premiere CC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I recently got Adobe Premiere CC because a recent mandatory Windows update rendered my Adobe Premiere Pro unable to be opened at all.

Much to my dismay, I notice all the audio and videos I upload into the program have the audio severely degraded when playing in the timeline, project panel, and on export regardless of what settings I export them with.

I have tried every fix I have found on the internet but to no avail, and I find myself yet again stumped by a seemingly uncirumventable issue in Adobe.

If anyone has any information on what is happening with my Adobe Premiere CC, it would be vastly appreciated.

Thanks

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from Comments forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally off-topic. I just registered for forums.adobe.com and this site is so badly organized that I simply can not figre how to post a new thread/question. I seem to be only capable of replying to other posts hence I am writing here. I have a question about photoshop processing. Can anybody direct me via a url to a page where I can post my question in which I want to ask for advice on how to do something in Photoshop CC. Thank you in advance.!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See above for link to all forums

Jive Forum Getting Started https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7042

-and Forum Help https://forums.adobe.com/community/forumhelp

User Manual for the Adobe Community (the forums) https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-4714

-or http://docs.jivesoftware.com/jive/7.0/community_user/index.jsp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the info we need to try and help.

How To Ask For Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I think I described the issue itself to the best of my ability.  I'll just add that the audio has much less treble, and timbre altogether.  As far as my specs...I'll certainly list what I can

Processor:  i7-3630 QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz   2.40 GHz

Installed memory: 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 660

Premiere version: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 V11.0.1

Failed attempts to resolve:

Started new project multiple times

Uninstalled and reinstalled

Used a multitude of media with different formats ie MP4, AVI, MP3 etc

Restarted PC

Cleared media cache folder/renamed/moved to a different location

Used Media Explorer to import rather than standard direct or drag and drop method

Switched Mercury Playback from GPU to CPU, and back again

What I cannot do:

Anything with drivers!!  I have lost too many computers to drivers (yes, drivers alone can kill computers.  I am living proof of that!)  and I cannot risk another driver calamity. 

If any other info is needed please let me know and I'll do my best to retrieve it.

Thanks so much in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't list or show any of your audio settings in the audio and audio hardware tabs of your preferences dialog.

Please post in your reply a screen grab of each of those two screens.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response and request for relevant info!Audiohardware.PNGaudio.PNG

Here are the shots you requested.

Thanks so much and sorry if I'm being overly effusive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'default input' should probably be changed to your system's audio hardware ... for the computer this was taken from, in Win7, this was the main audio hardware service ...AudioHardwarePrefs.PNG

So you might try your other options there to start. And hoping others will chime in here.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the only option I'm given

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, then that's not a useful suggestion ... huh.

Well ... it would be handy to get a sample of exactly what type of degradation you're getting, so perhaps could you add a short video sample clip via the "play" button-icon on the reply bar?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.

It doesn't let me upload files from my computer.  Only known sites like youtube, dailymotion etc. 

It's pretty simple to get an idea of what I'm encountering via text though.  It's a very noticeable drop in treble, timbre, and it sounds compressed.  It is not at all something that would fly with clients.

This problem's uniqueness and tenacity coupled with my diminished earning potential is bringing on a very real depression

I'm not able to find anyone on the entirety of the web that has a similar issue that hasn't solved it by simply starting a new project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh ... did you try just drag/drop?

Or could you post? Some of the audio-experienced folks here are pretty good at diagnosing steps from listening.Like SteveG(AudioMasters) ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah dragging and dropping doesn't work.  I went ahead and uploaded to Youtube though

First one is the original, second is entered into and exported through Adobe Premiere CC

Edit:  Other way around!  Second is original

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the recording process you go through to get the media into PrPro?

And I would like to see the original media information as shown in MediaInfo, a free downloadable app. Don't have the link on my phone.

Download and install,  then just drag/drop the original clip onto the MediaInfo icon. Go into the app's Tree view, and post screen grabs of both the video and audio sections.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of us is confused about something.  I'd like to clarify which one:

PrPro does this exact fidelity drop off for all media!  The above is just an example.  I'm lost as to what putting any piece of media into this MediaInfo program is going to accomplish.  Am I missing something (very honest/serious question)?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you have a drop in sample rate or a drop in bit depth and maybe even a compression hit.  Take a look at the audio settings throughout your workflow (your sample rate, bit depth and use).

From the the samples that you posted, your source footage is something like 48 kHz 16 bit stereo or better.  Check that your Sequence settings match and that your export settings are good enough to maintain the desired sound quality.  It's probably an export setting that is unintentionally reducing your sample rate and your bit depth as well as adding compression.

It's also possible to have source footage that is at settings that, while great for a first generation playback. will not hold up to being re-compressed; however, based on your sample posts this is unlikely the problem here.

For what it's worth, Premiere is fully capable of exporting high-quality audio.   This, of course, requires high-quality audio to begin with, high-quality edit settings, and high-quality export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sample rate in the settings says 89 khz, not sure how to check the bit rate though.

It sounds exactly the same in the timeline as it does in the export.  I made sure to make the export at maximal quality just to cover all bases, no dice.  Regardless, it's simple enough to hear that there is a difference, a bad one.  And I am still in the dark about how to fix it

Please, SOMEONE give me a clue.  The tenacity and arcane nature of this issue is killing nerve cells

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

89? That's unusual. Standard sample rates for source audio are 96 (on the high end), 48, 44.1, 32, 22.5, 11.  Standard bit depths are 16 or 8.

What are the exact Sequence and the exact export settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I'm sorry.  I meant 48khz.  I have no idea where in the world 89 came from!

Here are screencaps

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Although I don't think the export settings would matter as the exported result looks and sounds exactly as it appears in the program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No confusion on my part ... your example was limited, and there's no way anyone could possible guess what kind of source files you work with if you present no additional information. None of us around here are any more omniscient than anyone else, of  course. Remember, it's also nice to be polite with someone taking time from his work-day to help out for diddly squat?

In my experience participating on these forums, many people tend to do a very limited set of workflows, of media types. I do not assume say from the initial example you posted that you would probably also be working with 6k RED files ... which of course, you might. No way for me to know.

I also note that when offered a suggestion from someone with a bit of history helping on these types of things, you called me confused and made it clear you needed to have proved why you should try a very simple diagnostic step that would have taken ten minutes total. The particular file you demo'd could easily have presented audio that PrPro is not comfortable with. Many of the game-play captures do so in audio formats/codecs PrPro does not play well. Hence, my suggestion.

Plus, rather than flailing about, it is more often useful to get as much hard data on a puzzle as possible. As fast as possible. I don't like guessing!

So ... putting a few of your source recordings through MediaInfo, and also doing the same with your PrPro exports of the same recordings ... that could give us hard data to sort this out. What is the actual data of the audio files going into PrPro, and what comes out.

So ... let's look at this screen-grab you posted ... just a part of it:

Look at the source audio sample rate ... the original file ... 11,025 Hz. You can't select a rate that low to export from PrPro, the lowest option I know of is 32,000 Hz.

My guess on that data bit alone is that this is a very highly compressed audio file recorded at a very ... stunningly ... low sample rate. Before coming into PrPro, which of course would have shown immediately in MediaInfo. Ahem.

At that low a sample rate, it might play back ok, sort of ... but trying to re-compress it will show how little there is to work with.

Please use MediaInfo on this and a few of your other clips, and get real data? That would be quite useful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say that it is rather frustrating when someone blatantly misconstrues something I said as "impolite" (I was merely suggesting that one of us was confused, and clearly that person in this case was me) right after getting me to upload a video to Youtube which is immediately passed off as useless.  I do greatly appreciate any help I can get, but such assumptions are far from appreciated, and only add to the headache I am dealing with.

I must not have made it clear, but all media, ie MP3, MP4, MPEG, AVI, MOV, WMV, and likely more are having the exact same issue.  It is literally astronomically unlikely that all of them (19 trials at this point I think) fall under the category of  "audio that PrPro is not comfortable with. "   If that is the case than I assure you that PrPro would not be as popular as it is.  I think this trial would be much simpler if maybe you could point me in the direction of a sample you are absolutely sure that PrPro is comfortable with and try that.  If that piece of media has the exact same audio degradation as everything else, that resolve that particular question.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but your comment was not obvious to me as an attempt to say you were the confused one. Which can be an issue in these very impersonal forums, of course. Sadly. So, full apologies to any offense given. Because of that, I also tend to avoid "humor" on the forums here unless 1) the other posters have some experience of me and 2) it's really, really obvious. Even then, I normally delete humor before posting. Can just cause problems. Sigh.

When I listened to the Youtubes, on the system I use at the studio, there was a small difference in quality of the sound, but I had to work hard to hear it. Part of that of course is that after being through the YouTube masher, it can be hard to tell differences in audio.

I've asked for specific data, part of which you provided, part ... not. While suggesting that you didn't see the need for giving the information. I'm not omniscient, I'm only a user like yourself if with some more experience with this program, which can be darn confusing at times. I don't have any Wise Generalist advice for this sort of thing, only ... troubleshooting. Step by step.

I know that part of the issue may be that your computer is unfortunately way below current "hopes" let alone ideal builds, and I understand. I still do some work in PrPro on this ancient Lenovo with a 2-core i5, an old "integrated" graphics chip on the mobo, and 8 GB of RAM. Nothing really professional, just some home things and testing concepts at times. So yours is more capable than this rig, which ... of the few things it does ok, one is sound. The system in the studio ... well, that's rather nicer. Surround setup & all ...

I still would love to see a pair of MediaInfo examples of media that showed a solid 44.1 or 48Mz sampling before going into PrPro, and what the exported file from PrPro showed back in MediaInfo. Tree view for each. and perhaps another YouTube pairing of the before/after.

Also, in relation to the drivers, this kind of situation can at times be caused by the audio drivers ... which can be updated or rolled back at will. Checking your audio drivers would be a good other thing to check. Sometimes, a newer driver is a great help ... sometimes rolling back a driver is the fix. It's something you just have to try.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tsjanith:

There is a significant difference between your two YouTube posts.   The difference reminds me of the days of creating content for interactive press kits that had to fit on a HD Floppy Disk with a "whopping" one megabyte to work with (at the time, that was large compared to SD Floppy Disk with just 800KB).  Then there was cramming video and audio onto CD-ROMS.  The key back then was high quality audio for source, edit and edited master and then IMA audio compression that maintained the full range of audio while dramatically reducing the file size and bandwidth requirements.  (I have to add, this was back when Windows98 was brand new and you had to do this on a Mac because you literally could not produce multimedia content on a Windows machine because neither the necessary hardware nor software was readily available for Windows based platforms at the time.  Things certainly have changed in that respect.)

You clearly care about audio (and rightly so).  Have you heard the phrase "garbage in, garbage out"?  The tricky thing today is that you can have a source file that sounds great, but is meant for delivery (that is, the end of a workflow) and will not hold up to being used as source at the start of a workflow (that is, you'll hear compression generation loss).  Many of the formats that you listed as possible source are great for delivery, but to be avoided as source.

I recommend that you establish a workflow that uses only WAV, AIF, AVI or MOV with audio that is uncomprsssed at 44.1KHz and 16-bit or better.   Then, use those settings for editing as well as generating an edited master (note:  Premiere Pro allows you to skip creating an edited master and encode right to your delivery setting).  You can encode your files for delivery (let's say YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, SoundCloud, Instagram, etc.) and you should be happy with the results.  This isn't Premiere Pro specific.  You'd want to follow these guidelines for Audition, After Effects, Prelude, Avid Media Composer, ProTools, Apple Logic, Sony Acid, SoundForge (if that's still around), Final Cut Pro X, Final Cut Pro Classic, SoundTrack Pro, so forth and so on.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.  I really appreciate it.

If you could, would you maybe point me in the direction of a video I can get that is 100% PrPro user friendly, just so I can know for sure?  I know I shouldn't have to go looking for a leprechaun to find a video that works, but I would like to upload here what happens when I upload said video into my program and export.  I think that would clear up a lot of the confusion as to whether  I am using "garbage" files or not.

Thanks a million

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry to circle back to this so many days later.

Anything in the YouTube Audio Library (https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music) should work well.

Due to music licensing, it's difficult to just give you a file that I've used over the years/decades.

I'll come back to this though:

For best results with audio, you want your source setting to meet or exceed your edited master delivery settings.  Uncompressed, 48kHz, 16-bit, Stereo is a strong example of good source settings; howeer, there are certainly variations of this that will also work very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines