• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

shame

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This company takes monthly payment and even so they can provide a resilient software. The same tools I used a year ago now Adobe decided that won't work on my computer? Why do I pay this? So adobe and this community tell me that i have to buy new gear? 

This 'System compatibility report" is a shame.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have pointed the finger at the wrong company. You see, Adobe merely had to follow the support policies of the hardware manufacturers to begin with. So, if a given newer version won't work properly or at all on your current system, then you should be pointing the finger at Intel and/or AMD and/or Nvidia (or, for macOS systems, Apple) instead. It is those three companies who decided to pull all support from those older pieces of hardware and leave all compatibility problems permanently unfixed, and (worse) are still not required at all to tell anyone about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i understand but the same company that i'm paying monthly to give me functioning softwares should be the one that has to deal with this. i can post the same complaint over those forums as well, but i don't see why i shouldn't be at the very least annoyed by adobe's management of this HUGE deal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel the same way. It's a ripoff to pay monthly and none of the programs (specifically Premiere Pro) work unless you go and buy a new laptop. When you try and run the old version, it still doesn't work properly and files don't render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Therein lies the problem:

Due to the new availability policy which went into effect on May 8 of last year, only the two most recent major versions are now available. That means that it just so happens that the last version that worked properly on such older hardware is now no longer legitimately available at all. Adobe has been pressured by the third-party companies which provide plugins that are included in Premiere Pro that provide much of its funcionality, and the adoption of the subscription model meant that the authorization (and therefore license) to use a given older version of a plugin that is required for (and included with) that given version of Premiere Pro would only be valid as long as it remained available for legitimate download (usually, barely over one year). One of those third-party companies is MainConcept, which provided the MPEG-2, H.264 and HEVC encoding engines that are used in every single version of Premiere Pro ever released. After all, MainConcept wants its fair share of the money, just like every other company.

Had Adobe continued to maintain those older versions, it would have opened its own doors for those third-party plugin companies to go after the software company. And that would have substantially increased the monthly subscription costs even further than it already has been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first got a computer for business book-keeping in the mid/late 80's. By the mid 90's we had a flat-bed scanner and huge connecting cord and were using Photoshop Cs ... 4.5 I think, somewhere around that, to copy old photographs and do restoration work. This replaceed my making 4x5 Kodak Pro Copy negatives of all old photographs, then prints for the prinst artist to work on by hand.

You know something? dBase was a HUGE program, as was WordPerfect. I spent a ton on those apps. Neither the computers we used nor any of those apps we spent thousands of dollars on over a couple versions have been usable in YEARS.

I've got a new beast that arrived just afore the weekend. I'll spend the next week on the computer dance we've done I don't know how many times. I need a heavy-duty rig for video, my wife a good but lesser rig for stills, then the book-keeping/back-up stills retoucher's computer, then the sales room.

I'll install my new rig. My old rig becomes my wife's new rig. So I'll install her stuff on it. Then take her current one, replace the book-keeping one. We just actually had to replace the sales ... so the book-keeping computer goes buh-bye into oblivion this time.

I reall don't know how many times we've done this. Every three to four years. It's part of life working through a computer. Has been since the first computers. Does it bite, having to spend the cash? Oh, yea. But there's no way to get away from that, and I don't care what system or application or work you do.

I want Premiere Pro to stay on the upper capabilities, and to become better ... and to do that, they need to constantly modernize the code for the new hardware. And for stability, they need to dump older code. Otherwise, the app would bloat out to terrabytes. And would definitly not perform as well as we would like.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines