Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should effects apply to Proxies?

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

My original footage is in H.264, 1920 x 1080, 60fps. I use alot of time remapping, warp stabilizer and basic color correction. All has been fine untill I applied some heavy color grading to a one minute long portion of the video to give it dramatic, almost unrealistic look. This is when Previews started taking really long time to render...  One slight change to that color grading layer - another 20 minutes to render....

So I created proxy files in Ceneform codec with 1/4 or original resolution, original framerate. I activated proxy with that blue button. But nothing changed - Preview still takes forever to render!

So a big question here: do previews always apply to original files, regardless of proxy???  Then what's the point of using proxy?  What's wrong here?  Is my only choice to transcode to DNxHD without proxies?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

For Proxy, functionality like Preview, Export and some effects apply to the Original/Full Res clips. Once you make Previews, it will display the Full Res clips. The only exception is if your Full Res are Offline and the Proxies are Online.

There are a number of other things to be aware of when working with Proxies. You can find more information on how Proxies work at: Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Ingest and Proxy Workflow in Adobe Premiere Pro CC

An excerpt from the Help doc regarding Preview with P

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. So do you think I must update the CPU (plus RAM etc) or only graphics card will do it while leaving my i7 3770k ?

But anyway, why don't I see ANY improvement in playback when switching to uncompressed Cineform 1/4 of resolution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cineform isn't Uncompressed.

Don't use 1/4 resolution playback with proxies.  Set it to Full.

Use only the included Cineform presets when making proxies.

If it were me, I'd probably upgrade the CPU and GPU both.  I'd also want at least 16 GB of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone here has good advice. Also, make sure your sequence settings match your source footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines