Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show "real" or "true" resolution

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering if there is an option display the current "real" resolution. 

To explain what I mean:

For example, I got a 1000x1000 square sequence and insert 1000x1000 footage. Everything is fine and the resolution is correct.

But if I scale it to 200% the "real" resolution is only 500x500 and the image interpolate.

There is a similar function in InDesign where it shows me the dpi of the image and the current "real dpi" e.g. when I scale the image down the "real dpi" are getting higher.

I don't use the programs in english so I hope the names of these functions are correct, but I think you get the point.

Thank you very much.

If this isn't a thing and I'm just wrong with my thoughts and it't not a thing please tell me.

Thank you very much.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you are trying to see here, but I want to point out that video doesn't work in the same way that still images do. Therefore, there is no 'DPI' to speak of in video.

The most appropriate way to assess video quality properly (i.e. professionally) is to use a broadcast-standard external monitor, although in the age of majority-online video, very few actually do this these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. What I want to achieve is to know when the point is reached where I should stop scale up to prevent losing image quality. 

I know, at some point I will just notice it by my own but I am curious if there is ab accurate way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the best way is simply to not 'scale  up'.

When you import an image or graphic and drop it on the timeline, it will overlay 100%. If the footage is too small for your frame, you should always find a larger version of the footage. As soon as you have to scale the footage above 100% (in the effects controls panel) the footage is technically pixellating.

Depending on the purpose of the video, I will sometimes allow a maximum scale of 120% if I really can't find a larger clip, and it will not be noticable, but it isn't good practice to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks. To not scale up is one option for sure. But for example if I got 4k footage in a Full HD sequence I can scale it up for sure (and yeah I could calculate it because this is an easy example) but there is no point where Premiere tells me to stop or I will get a loss of quality, right?

Would be really helpflul to have something like this. 

Again, thank you very much, I believe there is no feature like I want it. 

But only to describe my situation why this is a problem:

I got still images 6000x4000 px in a square 1080x1080 sequence. Same like the 4k example I could calculate it somehow, but this is more of a workaround than a real solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the same rule applies no matter how large the image. As soon as you are scaling footage over 100% the image is technically pixellating.

In an ideal situation, you should only ever have to scale footage down, and no higher than 100%.

When you drop a 6000 x 4000 px clip onto a 1080 x 1080 sequence, it will be way too large to fit on, so you will scale it down to 20%, for example. Say you want to scale to focus on a particular part of the clip, you can do that without over-pixellating, as long as it doesn't go above 100%. Any higher than than, the pixellation will be occuring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In InDesign, you want the Effective Resolution to be no lower than the resolution of the final output, such as 300 ppi. But you only get ppi when physical dimensions such as inches are involved. Physical dimensions aren’t used in video because the content may be viewed on screens of different physical sizes. So instead, in video the reference size for final output is defined by the pixel dimensions of the video frame, such as 1920 x 1080 pixels.

In Premiere Pro, that’s the Frame Size of the sequence, so you want the pixel dimensions of an imported image to be no lower than that. In a 1080 x 1080 sequence, an unscaled image of 1080 x 1080 pixels maps to the sequence Frame Size pixels at a 1:1 ratio, or 100% Scale. Things are great as long as the Scale percentage of the image is 100% or less, because scaling down the image makes its effective resolution higher than the sequence Frame Size. If the Scale percentage is over 100%, the effective resolution of the image becomes less than the sequence Frame Size. That’s why SamLanes’ suggestion works: 100% Scale is the reference you’re looking for. As long as the image Scale percentage is 100% or below, it’s good.

In your example, 6000 x 4000 is clearly not a problem because the physical dimensions are so much larger than your sequence Frame Size…way more than enough resolution. If the image was 600 x 400, it would have to be scaled up to fill a 1080 x 1080 pixel frame, requiring a Scale percentage of over 100%, and that would be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines