Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sigma 14-24mm f2.8 Flicker Issue

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm just putting this out there for anyone who has purchased the Sigma 14-24mm f2.8 lens.

It has a factory issue where it has an uncontrollable flicker. However, there is an update that fixes this.

Unfortunately, I didn't know this was the case so it ruined my footage from a couple of weddings I shot recently. The flicker is insane and I don't know what to do to fix it. I asked once before on here and I got a temporary/minor solution where I downloaded a plug-in called "flicker-free" and it vaguely removed the flicker.

I'm really worried I can't save this footage and if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated and you'd be a lifesaver at this point. I've tried everything 😞

I've contacted Sigma about the issue and they wouldn't take responsibility for their faulty product.

I honestly hope no one else has this issue because Sigma will do absolutely nothing to help the situation.

Thank you in advance!

(Example video attached below) Also, I have footage that is flickering way worse than that one..

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advisor , Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

I tested your shot with Boris Continuum Flicker Fixer and got some pretty good results (see linked clip below). This might be what you need. Certainly worked better than I thought it would. I did find slightly better results by grading the shot first with Lumetri to fix the overexposure slightly (particularly in the clouds) before adding Flicker Fixer.

https://vimeo.com/user14840024/review/462134214/ef44b9e6bd 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor , Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

I was as surprised as you. As you saw (with the red x over the footage) my Boris BCC subscription has expired ... so I tried Digital Anarchys 'Flicker-Free' and RevisionFX's DEFlicker first - both I thought would be the better options. But no. Have to hand it Boris on this occasion - the end result was pretty amazing.

Hope it works well for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. We actually just got one of those lenses at work but I haven't used it yet. I will keep an eye out and thank you for sharing. Was the fix a firmware update through their website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually had to take it to the store where I purchased it. They had to update it through an external dock. They even charged me for the update. I wasn't able to update it through my Sony a7iii.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested your shot with Boris Continuum Flicker Fixer and got some pretty good results (see linked clip below). This might be what you need. Certainly worked better than I thought it would. I did find slightly better results by grading the shot first with Lumetri to fix the overexposure slightly (particularly in the clouds) before adding Flicker Fixer.

https://vimeo.com/user14840024/review/462134214/ef44b9e6bd 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve! That is incredible!

It looks as though the flicker is completely gone!

I am going to try it on my end and get back to you with an update.

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was as surprised as you. As you saw (with the red x over the footage) my Boris BCC subscription has expired ... so I tried Digital Anarchys 'Flicker-Free' and RevisionFX's DEFlicker first - both I thought would be the better options. But no. Have to hand it Boris on this occasion - the end result was pretty amazing.

Hope it works well for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve... thank you again for referring me to this incredible plug-in. I've used it on all my flickering footage and I can confirm that it 100% WORKS!!!

After a very long battle with Gentec a.k.a Sigma, they finally agreed to reimburse me for the purchase of this plugin. On top of all that I got some pretty sweet additional plugins that came in the BorisFX Continuum suite. Flicker-Free is only one of the 12 plugins included and I can't even begin to explain to you how incredible the other 11 are. This has probably been the worst and best thing that has ever happened to me. 😂

Once again thank you so much Steve. Hats off to you good sir!🎩

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting me know, great to hear everything worked out so well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines