• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Significant delay when pausing video during editing

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, so I am using premiere pro to edit videos on a PC for about 2 years - no issues; but recently I have found that when I am cutting videos (and hit the space bar to pause the track) it keeps playing (sometimes for 20secs) this makes fine-point editing impossible. I also find some lag between when I hit play (space bar) and it begins to play. My windows (10) system has not changed over this period of time (i7 3.5ghz - 6 core; 32 gb ram and duel 970s (drives up to date) and I am up to date with all adobe updates).

Has anyone seen this type of issue before? I would appreciate some support with this, as I am not sure what to do next. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Audio Hardware > set the Input to none. See if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding (sorry I missed your reply until today) - I am going to try this and will post back in a few days. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this did not do the tick 😞  Playhead keep plays while I hit pause... very annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pardon typos! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an Edit Reply button under the ...More button, not sure why they hid it?

MyerPj_0-1598562599200.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.adobe.PNG

Ah great - another problem with my adobe LOL... Thanks anyhow. 

Can anyone please help with the first issue - I am so frustrated with trying to edit video clips and the timeline not stopping when I hit pause. Really need help with this - at this stage, I will not be renewing my adobe software in a couple of days. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'Edit' button was referrencing your 'typos' comment, where you can actually edit your previous comment and take out the typos, I do that frequently.

The lag you are experiencing is basically PP cathing up on itself. So your machine is underpowered for what you are trying to edit. You might look into Proxies. They work super well and scrub much better than h.264. However, h.264 got much better in the last two updates as they added hardware decoding. On my machine (I7-6850 w/64GB and GTX1070), they both scrub well now. Nice thing about proxies is actually creating them. My computer flies, I can get 100% on CPU and GPU when creating 720p proxies of UHD h.264.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting back, MyerPj. I first thought this was a hardware issue; given that this suddenly happened (i.e. it was working for one year, and now starts to freeze). However, my system is not maxing out during editing - I am only editing zoom lectures, so it's not a complicated timeline. 

Can you send a link, or explain proxies, please?

FYI - my workflow right now is fairly simple, importing small mp4 videos (<40mins) and simply cutting them down to about 20mins. I do not do any other editing to them - hence, why I am so frustrated with the Adobe video editor.  I have since tried other software (openshot and camtasia - trial) and these cut without lagging out the timeline... so this issue is very odd to me. If you could explain how I could use proxies to improve this, I would really appreciate this support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zoom captures are probably recorded in variable frame rates, Premiere, and other NLE, really struggle with variable frame rates.

You can use handbrake to convert your captures to constant frame rates before importing them to Premiere.

On a side note, you have to reach a certain level before you get the ability to edit your comments, I have no idea why though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sami Succar, that is helpful. Thanks. I will try this software and convert the clips before importing. 

PS That explains why I could not edit the post! Such an odd feature to limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Sami Succar, I didn't realize that on the Edit button? This newish forum software is not what it used to be.

@GavDB Yes, for sure you can transcode, try them both, to see which method you prefer. I would start with proxies.

Proxy workflow in Adobe Premiere Pro - YouTube

Work offline using proxy media | Adobe Premiere Pro CC tutorials

Ignore any comments about h.264 being used as a proxy file, that's similar to the issue you are having. Stick to Cineform or ProRes for you proxy types. I've been using Cineform @720p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to put these together - these are very helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was going to ask you for a clip, but then I just saved one in Zoom. 

You can use the free MediaInfo program to get info on your clips. Get the program from the link below and using the 'Tree' view post a screenshot of your clip info: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Here's the info from my clip, and Zoom does record in constant frame rate. And the file is only 720p already. It plays very well on my machine and you can create a (Cineform) proxy from it which also plays well.

MyerPj_0-1607378761096.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines