Highlighted

Single video with multiple aspect ratios

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there.

I want to make a video that has multiple aspect ratios and switches between them when player detectes the change in the metadata. I think it isn't hard to program this feature and it would allow me to view 16:9 and 4:3 footage both on 16:9 and 4:3 monitors without the need to make 2 different videos with 2 different aspect ratios. So the project inside premiere should have this option of keeping multiple aspect ratios in a single sequence where the project monitor changes dipending on the footage. I think this feautre would be great to have since some of the big names in cinema also use this (Christopher Nolan for example). And the players would also need to update the way they interperet videos. It should be simple coding but would make life a lot easier for some of us.

Thank you very much!

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Single video with multiple aspect ratios

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there.

I want to make a video that has multiple aspect ratios and switches between them when player detectes the change in the metadata. I think it isn't hard to program this feature and it would allow me to view 16:9 and 4:3 footage both on 16:9 and 4:3 monitors without the need to make 2 different videos with 2 different aspect ratios. So the project inside premiere should have this option of keeping multiple aspect ratios in a single sequence where the project monitor changes dipending on the footage. I think this feautre would be great to have since some of the big names in cinema also use this (Christopher Nolan for example). And the players would also need to update the way they interperet videos. It should be simple coding but would make life a lot easier for some of us.

Thank you very much!

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 27, 2020 0
Guide ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should submit this to the request https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

additionally, premiere already has an auto-reframe system for editing. any actually re-framing would need to be done by the player using angles similar to how DVD's can play captions and other languages. and this would need to be an open standard, so you're better off getting this pushed by SMTPE than adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer, do you know any contact details for the SMTPE, on the net I could only find phone numbers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think some of what you refer to is based partly ( maybe) on resolution. Full HD is 16:9. My TV now is 16:9. That's my PLAYER. An old TV ( cathrode ray tube ( CRT)) was 4:3. My old TV could play 16:9 if the movie stuff ( shot wide screen like in the movies at a movie theatre ) was converted for TV with wider than square pixels ( called widescreen on old DVDs) but there was a black space on top and bottom. But at least I could see the full frame. But that conversion went to 720x480. For old TV.

I don't know anyone who shoots 4:3 with new cameras. I do know editors still convert to that format cause there are poor countries in the world where people only have old TV today. Only rich countries with cable and so on ( digital HD broadcast etc.) have 16:9 TVs.

On pro cameras there are 'safety lines' in the viewfinder so that people shooting can center the important action within the frames the producer wants to eventually market their product. 

This is true now for cinema ( anamorphic, full HD, 4:3, etc. )

Basically they know what it will look like when they market it in the whole world.

What you are asking ( if I get the gist of it ) is that you want to program something that automatically morphs a 4:3 TV into a 16:9 TV whenever a metadata pulse arrives during broadcast.

I don't think I ever read a science fiction story that has that ablility....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, some code tells the TV or any player the aspect ratio. What I want is just that this code does this multiple times during one video whenever the aspect ratio changes and not only at the beginning, so that it doesn't stay fixed during the whole movie.

Btw I have a GH5 which is a relatively new camera and has 4:3, and if it was up to me many more cameras would have this type of sensor. And the project I am doing will have a 16:9 aspect ration in the first part of the video and 4:3 in the second. So I just didn't want to export and upload two different videos one day. And it is not only the CRT TV that has 4:3 aspect ratios many LCD screens in the developing countries have this as well. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you. I didn't know that.

🙂

good luck !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The typical presentation of multiple aspect ratios is a file that has a single aspect ratio, with letter/pillarboxing to handle alternative aspect ratios. PR (and every other video editing app?) has a single aspect ratio timeline/sequence.

I tried to find an example of the Christopher Nolan approach, but the Amazon Prime version of Inception does not appear to use the multiple aspects. And I got sucked into watching the movie! lol. 

Do you have an example that shows this correctly?

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0