Highlighted

Slow Encoding Issue on Premiere Pro 14.4, NOT 14.3 or 14.2.

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community, 

Hi. I currently use many of Adobe products for my personal and business work. 

I spend the most time with Premiere Pro (PP) and Media Encoder (ME), as a video maker. 

Recently, I have updated my PP for 14.4 version, and the same version for the ME. 

I found out an issue that my encoding time significantly increases. 

And there is a color LUT issue as well. Some LUTs slows the video preview, like choppy.

I will try to be as detail as possible. I am appreciated with your patient. 

So those reasons above, I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, and RAM. 

Now, my PC is--

i7-10700K Comet Lake

64GB Ram

NVIDIA GTX 1080 

NVME M.2 SSD

Windows 10 Pro

I was so happy, and tried the Premiere Pro again.

Well, still slow encoding time. 

Video I tested was:

Recorded in Sony A7M3, 4K 30P, Cine4

PP Sequence was 1080P 23.976.

Exported in PP Preset H.264 Youtube 1080P, and I downgraded the bit rate from 16 to 8. 

The expected file size is about 340MB. Video length is 5:27

Only 1 sound track, simple cut-edit with no special transitions, LUTs, etc. 

The estimated encoding time was about 13 minutes. It actually took 12 minutes with my iPhone stopwatch.

It is long, right? 

I tried both CUDA encoding and the Software encoding. There was pretty much no difference in encoding time. 

I will tell you what, the ME does the same. 

Therefore, I remove PP 14.4 version from my PC and installed 14.2 version that I previsouly used. 

That was my last idea, after spent a lot of time researching, trying Intel Quicksync, etc. 

Exact same project, and the estimate time remaining was 1 minute and 33 seconds with CUDA! 

I tried the software encoding. It took 2 mintues and 13 seconds!!!

I have no idea what is going on. 

The LUT issue I mentioned earlier, was solved. No choppy or slow preview with certain LUTs in 14.2 version. Nice and smooth. 

I reinstalled the 14.4 version to make sure.

And it was slow like a turtle. Removed from my PC again. 

Now, I am using Premiere Pro 14.3 version. I tested it and it is very fast like 14.2 version. 

14.4 version has significantly low CPU usage during the encoding. Some people say it is normal, but about 16% CPU usage and 2% GPU usage are not normal. 

With PP 14.2 version, CPU usage was 70% and GPU usage was 60%. They tried to finish their job ASAP. 

What makes these differences? The only thing I did was remove 14.4 version and installed 14.2, 14.3 version. 

I am very affraid that if someday Adobe discontinues to support older versions. Then I will get stuck in slow encoding time and choppy video previews with my favorite color LUTs. 

I can upload my test results (I screen shot them) here upon request...

Thank you for reading. 

[text formatted by mod]

TOPICS
Editing, Export, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Slow Encoding Issue on Premiere Pro 14.4, NOT 14.3 or 14.2.

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community, 

Hi. I currently use many of Adobe products for my personal and business work. 

I spend the most time with Premiere Pro (PP) and Media Encoder (ME), as a video maker. 

Recently, I have updated my PP for 14.4 version, and the same version for the ME. 

I found out an issue that my encoding time significantly increases. 

And there is a color LUT issue as well. Some LUTs slows the video preview, like choppy.

I will try to be as detail as possible. I am appreciated with your patient. 

So those reasons above, I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, and RAM. 

Now, my PC is--

i7-10700K Comet Lake

64GB Ram

NVIDIA GTX 1080 

NVME M.2 SSD

Windows 10 Pro

I was so happy, and tried the Premiere Pro again.

Well, still slow encoding time. 

Video I tested was:

Recorded in Sony A7M3, 4K 30P, Cine4

PP Sequence was 1080P 23.976.

Exported in PP Preset H.264 Youtube 1080P, and I downgraded the bit rate from 16 to 8. 

The expected file size is about 340MB. Video length is 5:27

Only 1 sound track, simple cut-edit with no special transitions, LUTs, etc. 

The estimated encoding time was about 13 minutes. It actually took 12 minutes with my iPhone stopwatch.

It is long, right? 

I tried both CUDA encoding and the Software encoding. There was pretty much no difference in encoding time. 

I will tell you what, the ME does the same. 

Therefore, I remove PP 14.4 version from my PC and installed 14.2 version that I previsouly used. 

That was my last idea, after spent a lot of time researching, trying Intel Quicksync, etc. 

Exact same project, and the estimate time remaining was 1 minute and 33 seconds with CUDA! 

I tried the software encoding. It took 2 mintues and 13 seconds!!!

I have no idea what is going on. 

The LUT issue I mentioned earlier, was solved. No choppy or slow preview with certain LUTs in 14.2 version. Nice and smooth. 

I reinstalled the 14.4 version to make sure.

And it was slow like a turtle. Removed from my PC again. 

Now, I am using Premiere Pro 14.3 version. I tested it and it is very fast like 14.2 version. 

14.4 version has significantly low CPU usage during the encoding. Some people say it is normal, but about 16% CPU usage and 2% GPU usage are not normal. 

With PP 14.2 version, CPU usage was 70% and GPU usage was 60%. They tried to finish their job ASAP. 

What makes these differences? The only thing I did was remove 14.4 version and installed 14.2, 14.3 version. 

I am very affraid that if someday Adobe discontinues to support older versions. Then I will get stuck in slow encoding time and choppy video previews with my favorite color LUTs. 

I can upload my test results (I screen shot them) here upon request...

Thank you for reading. 

[text formatted by mod]

TOPICS
Editing, Export, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 21, 2020 0

Have something to add?