• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

slow motion isn't working.

Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a Nikon Z7 camera and I've taken some video at 120fps, and some other with their slow motion setting which is supposed to be 5 times slower than normal.  But when I include in videos with 30fps settings, these clips play at normal, not-slowed speed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Premiere automatically plays video clips at normal speed compensated to match the Sequence Setting frame rate. For instance, I drop 60p clips in a 30p sequence and they play normal, not slow, that is default behavior.

You can either change the Speed/Duration on clip in timeline, or from Project Bin use Modify > Interpret to tell it what frame rate to assume, like 30fps.

For the 120fps clips in 30fps timeline, you would set speed to 25% to use all frames from original clip.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere automatically plays video clips at normal speed compensated to match the Sequence Setting frame rate. For instance, I drop 60p clips in a 30p sequence and they play normal, not slow, that is default behavior.

You can either change the Speed/Duration on clip in timeline, or from Project Bin use Modify > Interpret to tell it what frame rate to assume, like 30fps.

For the 120fps clips in 30fps timeline, you would set speed to 25% to use all frames from original clip.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the speed/duration on normal speed clips before, but didn't think I would have to on integrally slowed ones.  Using the other, modify method, does that change all in a sequence or just the desired clips?  I have mixed 30fps and 120fps in videos, and I'm not sure which is which.  Is there info somewhere that shows their recording speed?  thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the modify and uncovered the frame rates, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but didn't think I would have to on integrally slowed ones"

Depends on the camera being used. A few years back, the high-frame rate recording was more of a short-burst gimmick offering. Engage that special "slow-record mode" and it would record at 120fps for just several seconds perhaps, buffering the action and then writing out the file as if it was 30fps. Meaning you record 4 seconds, and it saves to the card as 12-seconds of 30p rather than 4-seconds of 120p. Thus playback was automatically slow-motion, in the camera or the edit software. Just enough for a golf swing for instance.

Newer cameras have more horsepower and memory cards are faster, so *some* cameras now offer continuous 120fps recording, and the clip is saved as a 120fps clip as well thus not having automatic slow-motion properties upon playback. If you interpret in Premiere as 30p, 1-second of 120fps footage then becomes 4-seconds of 30p footage and you get your slow-mo.

To see what a clip is natively, just right-click the clip in Project Bin and check Properties.

If you don't change fps of clip via Modify, you can then change speed in timeline and Premiere is intelligent enough to look at original frame rate and use those extra frames to get you the native smooth slow motion.

I routinely shoot 60p and edit as 30p and when I need slow-mo or just want to lengthen a clip a bit, I know I can safely apply 50% slow and get silky-smooth results. Any less than 50% and of course it needs to start duplicating some frames.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I since realized that I just need to use a different camera setting, 5x or 4x slower to have it play that much slower in PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working for me. I shot in 59.94 and I placed on a 29.97 timeline. I select speed/duration and move to 50% but it stutters. If I frame by frame it, I see that it only moves every other frame, it's not using all 60fps slowed on a 30 fps timeline.

Same things happens when i right click in the bin and select interpret footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you solve this? I have the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realized this occured when my shutter speed dropped to 1/30th of a second on my camera. (so it was, in effect, 30 frame not 60)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines