• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow render performance from 14.4 (even 14.6)

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to highlight this problem after trying all versions for hours. Both for proxies and for video export, in Premiere and Media Encoder renders are extemely slow.

This is not happening in 14.3.2 but renders are much slower in following versions. My solution has been staying in 14.3.2 for both Premiere and Media Encoder.

I have both Intel (9900k) and AMD (3950X), GPU 2080ti, 32gb RAM 3600mhz and render times are awful. They are fine in 14.3.2 and earlier versions. BIOS, Windows updates and everything are OK.

Adobe, please, PLEASE, fix this issue.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to emphasize that the latest versions including Adobe Premiere 14.8 continue to give performance errors in terms of rendering files and this may be because the latest versions are not optimized for AMD processors. My solution at this time is still the same indicated in the previous post, even putting all the default configuration and creating a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And others with similar kit are having no issues. This is very frustrating.

What media and effects do you typically use? Just trying to puzzle out why some are hammered and some aren't.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I am not using any plugins or effects. The type of media I am using is simple h.264. It is not a problem of the content. This issue is due the new system Adobe implemented for rendering. Besides, GPU is nos using its entire power when rendering in Mercury Engine/CUDA (just about 14%). I'm using RTX 2080 Super.

Supposedly, since version 14.4, Adobe introduced a new rendering system for Premiere and Media Encoder. The first versions were so bad that CUDA rendering also was using CPU.

What I 'm doing is using Premiere 14.8 (for the rest of bug fixes) and rendering everything via Media Encoder 14.3.2. It is ridiculous but it works.

I have the feeling that sometimes new Premiere versions is going backwards in time. They have to work better because Blackmagic is getting powerful with its Davinci Resolve 17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a contributing author over at MixingLight.com, a pro colorist's subscription website. Which as one would expect is heavily built around Resolve, with a few in Baselight or Mistika. I spend a lot of time working with Resolve and with those who live in it hours a day.

If that floats your boat, have at it! Personally, the UI is not something I like at all. Premiere, for all its sins, is far more amenable for me setting it up the way I want to have it look and work. I don't like cutting/editing in Resolve. The color tools ... yea, to drool over compared to Premiere.

But then, Premeire is no apologies a straight on editing NLE. Resolve started as a color grading app that has added other "pages" for other uses, and finally is doing the other things fairly well. It has the manual that should be the model for ANY video post processing app.

That said, Resolve is provided by BlackMagic ... and their model is to give you software cheap to get you to buy their hardware. They finally allowed us to start using a full-screen 'reference' monitor out about a year ago, prior to that you had to use one of their output devices in order to get a full-screen out.

And they allow other maker's control surfaces ... barely. My Tangent Elements panel is awesome hardware in Premiere, I can map the many knobs, buttons, and wheels to everything from color to audio track mixer controls to graphics, rotate/size/move screen elements, it's incredibly useful.

In Resolve, half to two thirds of the controls across that full Elements unit are 'dark' at any one time, no action. And that is the mapping that BlackMagic created, they do not allow the Tangent mapper to function with Resolve. It's a strange process to figure out what you can do with the surface, as there isn't a normal 'menu' process like with the Tangent mapper. Some of the active buttons/knobs when touched cause the whole panel to change to a different set of options. And getting back is just something you have to hit things until you get there.

It's just bizarre, but of course, they want you to buy their control surfaces. It's their app, their ballgame, their option to choose. Just annoys the heck out of me because none of their surfaces work in any other software.

Some say that Resolve is 'faster' on their machine. On my current desktop, Premiere actually is faster by a neglible amount in most things. On my laptop, with a 2080 GPU, Premiere is definitely a ton faster than Resolve. For others, it's the other way 'round.

With the new machine Puget built for me, a 24 core Ryen and 2080Ti, it will be interesting to see how they both perform. The testing Puget did while building is way past my current rigs.

But yea, I could work in Resolve. I prefer to work in Premiere. But if you're delivering to the nice customers what pays your bills, you gotta work with whatever tool gets the work out right. They're all just fancy hammers. Use what floats your boat.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your time in replying and your explanation.

I wish an Adobe Employer could help and take a look at this issue because I are more than sure that it is not a personal nor hardware-related problem. It comes from 14.4 and I am not the only one who is suffering this situation.

Please take a look at this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/render-times-are-significantly-slowed-by-the-14-4-and-be...

I appreciate your explanation in what is good and bad about Davinci Resolve and Blackmagic.

The thing is that, regardless of whether they want to sell you their hardware, it just works and Resolve:

- Hardly ever crashes, and this is something I have to emphasize because paying an Adobe subscription and receiving updates this has not changed for many years, at least for me regardless of having changed my PC multiple times.

- It is better optimized on GPU. In Premiere if I want to edit x264 files without messing my hair I have to use proxies. In Resolve it is not necessary because its engine is well polished.

- Rendering times (Studio version) is faster than Premiere and Media Encoder.

Its cons, however, I agree with you in almost every point and those are the reasons I could stay in Premiere. I would do anything to make it perfect in Premiere because I make a living editing videos for a long time and it is my main software. But I'm sorry to say that Adobe has to make an effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere has by far the largest user base of any NLE. Many users of Premiere are getting very rapid (and improved) H.264 renders/exports on the newest builds. Some aren't. Which leaves us back to a place where certain hardware combinations must be less optimal than others.

In other words, the individual machine and the settings chosen must make a difference.

One also must realize that "in general" has little to do with X individual. It's common to assume that because one has an issue, it must be universal. Or that because there's been others with the issue, it must be universal. Neither of which is actually a usable generalization. And yes, I've been in the group of a few users with a very nasty problem ... which only affected a few with a certain workflow need and/or a specific bit of hardware.

It would be very nice if they had a list of the types and combinations of hardware that either 1) were better choices for H.264 and/or 2) were not good choices for H.264. And how to use the multiple settings to get the best decoding/encoding speed possible.

They have a couple published comments on H.264 improvements, but I don't find them that educational. A couple other users here, Andy and rjl190365, tend to have the best advice on this. Andy has a couple vids he typcially references that demonstrate how the settings work. And rjl simply knows which pieces of kit work best and which, no matter the cost, just don't.

As to Resolve "universally" being more stable ... among the colorists I work with, there were a fair number that stayed on 15.x nearly the entire 16.x cycle because none of the 16.x builds were stable in their shop. The last 16.x build is the only one they found actually stable.

While many others were stable from 16.3 on. Like everything else, "it depends ... " on the user, the media, what they do within the app, their hardware, and who knows what else.

All but one of the 16.x builds were "stable" for me, but then I didn't live for hours pushing the program hard in any of them. I did specific things, and it always just did what I expected. I think it was 16.2 that juked me around some, but it got replaced soon enough I just avoided Resolve for a bit.

Fancy hammers. And yea, I wish this particular fancy hammer was working as you need it to.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for your message and explanation.

Yes, I have read Andy and rjl190365's messages but this issue has nothing to do with something hardware related. This is not possible because the rendering system has been changed from version 14.4 in both Premiere and Media Encoder.

I can check that my specs are fine if I just go back to 14.3.2. This is also happening to me on my Intel PC. I have 2 computers connected to each other for working and creating content:

- One is AMD 3950X, 16gb DD4 3600mhz, RTX 2080 Super (this is my main one because it has twice as many cores, and this is the one in which I edit).
- Another is Intel i9-9900K, 16gb DDR 3600Mhz, RTX 2080Ti (I skip QuickSync)

They both behave the same in Premiere.

But it is not optimal using Premiere and Media Encoder 14.3.2 in order to solve bugs such as zooming out on a clip of more than 3 hours and the program crashing while using proxies.

This is a software problem, with which I can check how if I render by CUDA it uses less than 20% GPU and also uses CPU, and this doesn't make sense. In previous versions (up to 14.3.2) it works correctly and the render times are correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines