Highlighted

Sluggish playback on large projects

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey friends,

I am editing using an Imac Pro, using thunderbolt external hard drive. I find that when editing a large project (not necessarily a long or complex timeline) playback becomes very slow, often it will take a second or two to produce a simple  frame (HD res, no effects or anything) when moving to a new spot on the time line. I hear the hard drive working hard and slowing down the software every time i move the playhead and will need to hit the play button a few times to get a response, This happens only on large project, if i'll play the same timeline on a smaller project it will play just fine.

Any advise?

Ran

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Sluggish playback on large projects

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey friends,

I am editing using an Imac Pro, using thunderbolt external hard drive. I find that when editing a large project (not necessarily a long or complex timeline) playback becomes very slow, often it will take a second or two to produce a simple  frame (HD res, no effects or anything) when moving to a new spot on the time line. I hear the hard drive working hard and slowing down the software every time i move the playhead and will need to hit the play button a few times to get a response, This happens only on large project, if i'll play the same timeline on a smaller project it will play just fine.

Any advise?

Ran

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ran,

Sorry about the poor experience. What kind of external drive are you using for these media files? Are they regular drives working at or above 7200 RPM? Also, have you tried moving the files to the internal drive and checked if it's making any difference. You may also try clearing cache files and let them rebuild to check if it's working properly after that.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Lacie D2 Thunderboltq USB-C hard drive, 7200 RPM. On one of the projects that became sluggish, I did move the footage to the internal SSD and didn't see much difference. I did try to clear the cache as well. I am wondering why the amount of footage in the bin would affect the playback even on a short timeline...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way Premiere is built, for "stand-alone" projects, the ones most of us have typically used, it's prone to this on larger projects. The reason is that all metadata of every asset of the project is loaded into the RAM/cache system to load the project. It's called the "Master Clip properties."

If you've a massively powerful system, it's not ... too ... bad.

The new Productions mode is designed to get around this. You create a new Production, which is a folder on-disc that Premiere creates, and a production file inside it.

Within that folder in Premiere you right-click and create additional folders to organize your project as you would have created bins in a single project. In each of those folders you right-click create a new project that holds only bits of the total production job.

So you have project sub-folders for media, sequences, other assets or however you decided to set it up. In the Media subfolder, you may have additional subfolders to organize your media, or just create additional projects in those folders to hold the media assets themselves. So you have say a project file that is all your RED media, or the media from day 1 of the shoot, and on through.

And the only thing those projects are used for is storage of assets.

Now you create another project for sequences. You add media from the projects that store media as needed. Premiere then loads only the metadata into RAM/cache of that opened sequence, it can reference the Master Clip properties of all the media involved without having to store that to RAM/cache.

So your computer's workload is a lot less.

I'm a solo shop, and I'm using a single production to house all my jobs for this year's version of Premiere Pro. It's great ... all my 'template' projects, b-roll, audio assets ... everything is quickly usable in other projects without a) slowing anything down or b) duplicating assets in project files.

Neil

Using Productions in Premiere Pro

Productions reference pdf

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, for your quick and elaborate answer, I will certainly try to use this feature.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a different approach to organizing the work ... but once you get it setup, the projects load and run faster.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0