Highlighted

Small Amounts of Pixilation in Various Clips

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that is @ 1 hr 12 min long. There is no pixilation in the original source files but throughout the exported final project there appear about 10 spots where there is a very brief pixilation. The original sources are iPhone footage (.mov) at 30.00 fps and a couple of clips from a DV camcorder at 29.97 fps. I did not get any frame rate warnings when I dropped the 29.97 clips into the sequence, which is a 30 fps sequence.

I'm wondering what things I should look for to try to figure this out, and what pieces of information I should even share to try to seek help from the community. I have included a small clip from the finished movie which has a few examples of the pixilation problem.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Small Amounts of Pixilation in Various Clips

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that is @ 1 hr 12 min long. There is no pixilation in the original source files but throughout the exported final project there appear about 10 spots where there is a very brief pixilation. The original sources are iPhone footage (.mov) at 30.00 fps and a couple of clips from a DV camcorder at 29.97 fps. I did not get any frame rate warnings when I dropped the 29.97 clips into the sequence, which is a 30 fps sequence.

I'm wondering what things I should look for to try to figure this out, and what pieces of information I should even share to try to seek help from the community. I have included a small clip from the finished movie which has a few examples of the pixilation problem.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first, iphone footage is variable frame rate which is not kosher for premiere.  Use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate

https://handbrake.fr

It's also possible the frame rate difference between your sources and sequence may be part of the problem.  After converting to constant frame rate, select the clips in the browser and go clip: modify: interpret footage: and change the frame rate to match your sequence settings and replace the clip in the timeline with the clip from the browser...  and see if tha thelps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take a look and see if what you suggest helps. I have used iPhone footage in at least 40 other projects with no issue. However, this is the first project on a new MB Pro so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with things. I also edited the project and took out the clips that were at 29.97 fps to see if that made any difference - it did not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the same export on my older MB Pro where all my previous editing had been done, and there is no pixilation at all, so whatever issue there is lies in this newer MB Pro. The older one was running High Sierra and the new one is Catalina. Both are using Premiere Pro 2020. I copied the settings from both exports and don't see much difference but highlighted the two areas that were different. I believe I had done an export on the new machine with both frame sampling and blending and it didn't change the problem.

Premiere Settings.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to post an update in case anyone happens upon this thread. I have spent a good deal of time working with Adobe support, getting different suggestions from different support staff. I also have been doing extensive trials on my own, and also tried using Handbrake to see if it made any difference. It did not, and based on some online searching and my previous 40-50 iPhone videos edited with PP I don't think that is the source of my issue.

I have also honed in a little more on the issue itself, as it turns out it is not a pixilation issue. What is happening is there are momentary interspersing of frames from previous parts of the video - less than a second and often hard to see. The Adobe rep actually missed it and during a screen share, I had to re-run the video and pause on the actual spots where this was happening. Although they are brief they are very noticeable and having never had the issue before I have to keep working to see what may be causing it.

In the past I never rendered the videos first, but I did give that a try to see if it helped - it didn't. 

Adobe had me play around with various settings, such as Project Settings>General and changing Video Rendering and Playback from Metal, which is listed as recommended to Software only - no effect

They also had me change the settings in the Export Settings window under encoding to software only - again no difference.

At one point they had me uninstall the latest version 14.0.2 and go back and install 14.0 - no difference.

They then deleted all my preferences and I was able to run one successful export, but then the problem reappeared.

I now started a brand new project and imported the full video to start over, rendered it and exported it, and so far there is no issue. Could there be some problem when I start adding transitions and/or play with the motion and scale? I will find out as I do these things one at a time and keep exporting to see if the problem reoccurs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for keeping us in the loop.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back with an update with no real answer. I have spent the better part of two weeks working on this and other odd behaviors that all have one thing in common - Catalina. I am still having the same issue where upon export it picks up a frame or two from earlier in the video and adds it a little later in the movie. I don't see. the issue at all when playing it in PP, so it only seems to happen in the export process. It doesn't do it on every project but it does it randomly and I then have to carefully examine every frame once exported to see if it occurred. I then took the same PP project over to my older MBP running High Sierra with same version of PP and ran the export and the movie had no issues, so it is narrowed down to exports on my new MBP running Catalina. 

There doesn't appear to be any consistent cause, and after hours with both Adobe and Apple support no one seems to have any real answer, other than to try wiping out my hard drive and trying a fresh install of Catalina, which I suppose is what I will need to do as perhaps the final step. 

This could be solely a Catalina issue, or an issue with how PP and Catalina interact together, but either way there doesn't appear to be a real answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 0