• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

So slow it's useless

Engaged ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making a video out of half a dozen MTS files which are about 20 Gb in total. I imported all the files into the main timeline of my project and am finding Premiere so slow it's almost useless. When I switch from one part of the timeline to another  it can take several minutes to show me something on the program monitor.

I use a near-new Mac Mini with 16 Gb of  RAM. It's not a world-beater but I can't afford to buy another computer. What might be cheaper is Final Cut.  Does anyone know if it can handle large files like this more efficiently? I think Premiere is a better program but I can't  work with  it like this.

Is there a better strategy to follow? Should  I edit each MTS file separately, cutting them down from a couple of Gb to say 200 Mb before adding them to the main timeline? The final  video  will be only 3 minutes long so  I'm going to get  rid  of a lot of material.

Any general advice appreciated.

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can really help yourself out by providing more information to those that may be able to help you. The total GB of files is irrelevant, what is relevant is the frame rate and frame size. Also, the specs of your computer do really matter and would be good to post. Likely it's under powered for Premiere but a small change you can make would be to use proxies? Do a search for that as it's a regularly used and recommended solution for slow computers with large files/high frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the  tip-- I read up on proxies and made a bunch but they took forever to make. My computer was the problem-- I got some excellent help from a Mac tech on their help line and she found a couple of viruses.  Premiere is much faster now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to hear. Would you be able to share any of those tips here for others by chance? Yes, proxies can take quite a while...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tips? If you're on a Mac, just download Malware, a free scanner recommended by Apple. The tech I talked to jumped onto my computer and went there  first. It  removed one virus. She found a few suspicious files here and there. We restarted the computer a couple of times. The main take-away from this for me is to get a Mac. Service is free no matter how old the computer, there's no waiting (they call you) and they'll stay with you for two hours if that's what it takes to fix a problem.

There are a couple of good Youtube videos on how to make proxy files.  This guy had a good explanation: https://www.youtube.com/c/dunnadidit/featured

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GG,

Is this the English version, or a version with an EU language?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

English

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines