• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SOLVED - Premiere Pro 2020 Video Driver Alert on 2019 HP Spectre x360 15-inch Notebook

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick Backround (Scroll to the dashed line below if this is TLDR and you just want the solution):

Adobe Premiere Pro 2020  was giving me the dreaded "System Compatibility Report" message. I followed the link provided under the "Fix it" option to download the latest NVIDIA drivers (v441.66 at the time), but the driver installer would fail, reporting that "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware". 

I checked for Creative Cloud Updates: Everything was up-to-date.

I checked Windows Update: Everything was up-to-date.

I ran HP's support utility: Some non-video driver updates and... ooh, a BIOS update (here's hoping).

I installed the HP updates and then re-ran Windows Update to make sure the new bios version didn't have some driver or system update assiciated with it: No additional updates.

I got this laptop for editing back in November, but due to the holidays, I was too busy to give it a try until yesterday, so there's no returning it to Amazon. I wondered if my 3-month-old $1200 laptop was already at the point where its components were becoming EOL and no new drivers would be released.

In my preparation to go full Karen on Adobe's and HP's support forums, I generated a system compatibility report. In it, a clue:

"NVIDIA has identified a bug which causes random crashes in your Adobe application and has provided a fix in driver version 430.86. This driver update is strongly recommended.
URL: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/drivers-video-win-nvidia.html"

The link took me to the same NVIDIA driver download page as before, but this time in desperation, I searched for older versions of the drivers. My hope was if I downloaded driver version 430.86 it would solve the problem even though it was not the most recent version. While the older installer also failed, it was kind enough to also tell me that "The standard NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. Please update your driver using GeForce Experience to download the correct version" It even included the link.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/ 

I went to the link, downloaded Nvidia Experience, logged in (because it's 2020 and why not have to log in to update drivers) it updated my drivers and EUREKA!!!!! No more nasty red exclamation mark in Premiere Pro and the app runs as it should on a $1200 2019 4K laptop designed for video editing.

Hope this helps somebody struggling with this annoying af issue. 

Happy Creating

------------------------------------------

Solution: The full download of NVIDIA reference drivers (or my version of Windows, 10.1903 Home x64) does not support the GeForce MX150 GPU on this laptop. In order to get newer (and supported by Premiere Pro 2020) drivers, you must install the "GeForce Experience" app:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/ 

Screenshots of error messages:

Nvidia installer error.PNGOlder Nvidia driver installer error.PNGPremiere Pro Error.PNG

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, this gives me hope. I just bought the new Zephyrus with amazing specs and was sad to see something like this come up when i first opened Adobe.

Going to try to update it now, and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines