• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some questions regarding the new captions workflow (15.2)

Engaged ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Just had a few questions regarding the new captions workflow. specifically pertaining to things that were possible before in the old workflow but I couldn't find in the new worklow. For what it's worth, I work primarily with 608 CC and Open Captions, and I believe the 3 questions do apply to both.

Is it possible to independnetly export sidecar files?

Previously I could just select my sequence and go to File > Export > Captions and quickly spit out just the sidecar in the format of my chosing. I'm not seeing that option anymore. Now I need to export the sequence outright to make the sidecar. Not the end of the world since I can disable the video output to speed it up, but it does feel like one extra unnecessary step when there was a way to do this before.

Is it possible to change the text alignment without changing the zone/position of the block?

Before I was pretty certain I could, for example, align my text left, but keep the center lower zone selected as the block position. This way I could keep multi line captions aligned one way, but still keep a block centered relative to the frame. Now it seems whenever I change the text alignment, it forces the block position to move, and whenever I change the block position, it forces the text alignment to change as well.

I suppose I could offset each text, but this seems tedious and I don't think that even was able to be offset to the degree needed to achieve that change.

Is it possible to change the alignment/position independently for selected text?

Previously, even with 608 CC, I could select a line of text from my captions block and change the alignment or position for just that selected text.

For example, I could put a music note in the top right, while keeping spoken text in the bottom center. Now it seems like I can only make adjustments to alignment, position, offsetting, etc. to the entire caption block as a whole.

===

I appreciate your time and help!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

> Is it possible to independently export sidecar files?

Yes, but not as easily and with fewer options. In the Text Panel, click the 3 dots. For more options, you must export the sidecar from File -> Export -> Media and ALSO export either audio or video (or both). 

> Is it possible to change the text alignment without changing the zone/position of the block?

I think this is the same as it was before.  The adjustments are now in the Essential Graphics Panel, Edit tab. The "block" is adjusted

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's their current Help on the new Captions workflow/workspace:

Captions User Guide

You might find some information there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Is it possible to independently export sidecar files?

Yes, but not as easily and with fewer options. In the Text Panel, click the 3 dots. For more options, you must export the sidecar from File -> Export -> Media and ALSO export either audio or video (or both). 

> Is it possible to change the text alignment without changing the zone/position of the block?

I think this is the same as it was before.  The adjustments are now in the Essential Graphics Panel, Edit tab. The "block" is adjusted in the Align and Transform section with the "Zone" and the Set Horizontal/Vertical Position/Size controls. The "paragraph" alignment of multiple lines is set in teh Text section with the various Align Text options.

> Is it possible to change the alignment/position independently for selected text?

Yes, but you must do this editing using the text in the Program Monitor and the selections in the Essential Graphics panel. This does NOT work if editing in the Text Panel.

There is also an additional way to create independent elements in a single caption "segment." 

See the discussion here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta/mulitple-captions-blocks-and-other-major-captions-i...

Let us know if this does not answer your questions. Big learning curve!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your response, this has helped!

I totally missed the "Add new text block to caption" menu option when right-clicking a text box. That does exactly as I would hoped, as I can indeed independently control formatting options. I also see now how Essential Graphics will list those text blocks, almost how the EG panel shows different layers for regular graphics. Makes sense now, just wasn't clicking in my brain earlier.

As far as independent exporting goes, yeah I found the text file option, but not super helpful. My solution was to do exactly as you said, and export an H.264 with only an audio stream with a sidecar captions file in the format I needed. Hopefully Adobe can just add "Export to" those other formats from the [...] button in the Text panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent! Thanks for reporting back.

I don't know if there is a feature request for more robust exporting of sidecar files. See this page or consider adding your own request.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines