• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some subtitles won't merge. Bug?

Engaged ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run into some strange behavior with the PPro subtitler.  Recently I received early access to the speech to text transcription feature (absolutely brilliant time saver, let me add), and the symptom described below has only been observed on sequences that I've had Premiere auto transcribe and then auto subtitle with that transcript.

As the auto subtitle feature tends to chop the transcript into extremely small blocks - sometimes only two or three words long - it's necessary to go through the sequence and merge caption blocks to get the desired amount of text on screen.  Normally not a problem. I select the blocks I want in the timeline and then select the 'merge captions' button in the text panel as seen below:

merge captions 1.jpg

However, what's been happening seemingly randomly is that I select two caption blocks in the timeline, but the 'merge captions' button remains greyed out in the text panel.

merge captions 2.jpg

As you can see from this screenshot, one of the captions that is selected in the text panel is NOT one of the caption blocks selected in the timeline.  When this has happened I've left those captions, gone on to finish the others in the sequence, then found that I was able to merge when I returned to the problem caption blocks later.

Anyonse else experiencing similar?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a bug, and that you should report it.

The bug is better described as a lack of consistency in the timeline vs Text panel selections, not in whether merge will operate or not. As you show, if the captions in the Text panel are not contiguous, merge is not available. And the problem is that even when you select two adjacent caption segments in the timeline, different segments may be selected in the Text panel.

In my quick test (15.2 release version), I could not get this to happen. Is that the version you are using? If so, can you test in the latest Beta?

One option, since you are using the merge button in the Text panel, might be to map the "merge" keyboard shortcut. Unfortunately, it is not yet operational:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta/caption-keyboard-shortcuts-for-split-and-merge-do-n...

The alternative to going back, is, as you go through, to correct the selection in the Text panel and click merge.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using AP Pro for subtitling for about a year, and this bug gets to me now, after October 2022 update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andreif, can you describe your specific problem?

What operating system are you using?

See the description is this thread; is this like your problem?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/problem-editing-transcriptions-split-amp-mer...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 11, Nvidia, 32 Gb RAM. 
I don't remember noticing this problem until last update, 23.0.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue here - 

Macbook Pro M1 Max on 12.6.1 - Premeire 23.0.0 Build 63

Workaround I found - if it's not splitting or merging, click on the audio region, then click split or merge. Downside is you have to do it almost every time. Better than nothing though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines