• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something is totally broken in TIMECODE effect

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, this is really frustrating. Timecode effect applied to any clip produce some random TC on screen. Effect is totally unusable

What i found out:

1. this issue somehow depends on project, clip and sequence FPS. I've got the most frustrating results on a 24 fps (project, sequence and clips)
  2. Premiere 2018 and 2019 - both have this issue, but in 2019 it's even more severe.
  3. Timecode overlay tab in Export window produce a timecode, which is not in sync neither with sequence TC, generate TC preset and clip TC
  4. This issue is likely produced by wrong math in programming.

When I apply the Timecode effect to a clip in sequence, it displays timecode with a random shift.

I have 24fps project, 24fps clip and 24fps on sequence.

My aim was to have on-screen timecode starting from 00:00:00:00. Apparently, 'Generate' and 'Media' presets produced wrong results.

In the end to have it right, I set 'Starting timecode' to 22:04:47:01 and frame rate to 25. Which resulted in 00:00:00:00 on screen (see screenshot).

Basically my question is WHY??

Am i the only one who face this issue?

Screen recordings below:

tc premiere 2018 - YouTube

tc premiere 2019 - YouTube

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 19.39.34.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

I've had similar headaches with the TC effect, but switching to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" fixes it for me.  It fixes a lot of other issues as well, particularly with transparency and track mattes, and probably others.  I wish everything worked with OpenCL, but that just isn't the case yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen odd results when applying Timecode to Adjustment Layers.  The solution was to use a Transparent Layer instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim. It didn't work for me, but produced another kind of offset:Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 23.28.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timecode in 2019 is totally jacked across the board. If you open a 2018 or early project and the clips are not linked, relinking them in 2019 totally messes up the clips timecode by over a minute!

Clips exported in 2018 with timecode reference embedded on the screen are over a minute off once imported into 2019, which means it's not reading the correct timecode from the original clip! This is a major problem!Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.28.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My timecode absolutely not showing applied to my Adjustment layer. So I spent so much time to figure out why. I switched to only software mode from Open CL, but it still did not show the timecode. Then I tried to export it out and finally it showed up in the preview screen. So in Premiere 2019 it is definitely a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated to 13.0.2 and still no fix there.

Looks like some problem with programming: as I switch from 24 to 25 and back in effect controls the display shows different values on the SAME cursor position. I suspect some count buffer won't get cleared and keep adding calculation errors.

Additionally, how do you like 'offset =-0' frames?

Come on, Adobe team! Are you here? We have 4 movies in production, 10+ paid licences and 15+ editors fighting this random TC calculations daily. This topic is 2 months old, the bug is apparently 6+months old. Not even a message from Adobe.

Completely disappointed.

Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 18.59.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the UserVoice page for timecode issues ? This forum is primarily user to user, that system is linked to the engineers and both shows the bugs or requests filed and also some engineers responses.

Don't have the link handy on my phone but it's easy to find on the Overview page of this forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the main page for the uservoice page. I ignored reports related to audio, import, or appearance in windows.

The one comment on this one seems most on track. Only 3 votes.

Timecode generator is broken and buggy – Adobe video & audio apps

Three other reports seemed related at first, but on second look, not really.

If you post on uservoice, add the link here so we can upvote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea, Neil and Stan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had similar headaches with the TC effect, but switching to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" fixes it for me.  It fixes a lot of other issues as well, particularly with transparency and track mattes, and probably others.  I wish everything worked with OpenCL, but that just isn't the case yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! This worked for me, too.

Bugs like this is why I don't cut features in Premiere. Unfortunately, it seems as if the bugs keep getting worse - enough for me to seriously consider moving to AVID exclusively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue with the Timecode effect and the Mercury Playback Engine Software Only' switch fixed it for me too - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post this on the bug/feature UserVoice system so it goes right to the engiineer's system.

Neil

Adobe Bug /Feature service: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been facing issues related to 24fps TCG

I am yet to find a workaround, but perhaps this is the same issue?

TCG~Burnt in timecode JUMP/SKIPS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to version 13.1.3 (Build 44) and mismatched TC issue seems to be fixed with a 24 fps timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me Harry(

We still have the same story in Media Encoder. It produces WRONG timecode, while Premiere displays and renders out CORRECT on the same sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried adding TCG to a transparent video layer instead of  adjustment layer.

This fixed the issue for me running CC2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

July 2020 update. The timecode plugin still does not work PROPERLY on an adjustment layer - it does appear and half works but it has all kinds of offset issues. However it does work fine on a TRANSPARENT LAYER. This does make some sort of sense as the timecode preset is not performing an adjustment. Hope this helps others who are searching still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transparent layer doesn't work for me either. It offsets my TC by around 9 min and change. Software Only works. Same issue with Media Encoder. Media Encoder will simply not read the video if I have a Timecode effect with the renderer not set to Software Only.

This was fixed a few months ago in one of the iterations of CC 2020... but the bug has returned in this latest version 14.3.1 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I've also had issues with both adjustment layers / transparent layers over the years depending on what version I was using at the time... This is kind of a stupid workaround, but with the most up to date version of CC (as of this post), I've found that using a BLACK MATTE does the trick with a slight OFFSET adjustment... You'll have to create an OPACITY MASK within your matte, but a simple rectangle will do the trick.

Hope that works for you!

x Jordan

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 9.32.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the problem a wild back nest the Adjustment Layers and then put the timecode on the nest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines