Highlighted

Sometimes Premiere Will Randomly Crash When GPU Acceleration Is On

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought a new computer to run premiere faster, but premiere sometimes will freeze and become unresponsive, making me have to force quit the program. While experimenting I found out that if I disable my video driver, or do not run the GPU acceleration, then it works. Is anyone else having this issue? I have an RTX 2060 with the latest drivers installed. It should be able to work great and handle the 4k footage from my GH5. Sometimes it works, and it runs flawlessly, but the most I can get out of it is about a half hour before it completely freezes again. It is very annoying since premiere runs so much faster and smoother with the GPU acceleration turned on. It is slowing down my workflow a lot. Is this something in my settings? Or could this just be a compatibility issue that was overlooked by either Adobe or Nvidia? I really have no idea what's going on here.

Topics

Crash, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Sometimes Premiere Will Randomly Crash When GPU Acceleration Is On

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought a new computer to run premiere faster, but premiere sometimes will freeze and become unresponsive, making me have to force quit the program. While experimenting I found out that if I disable my video driver, or do not run the GPU acceleration, then it works. Is anyone else having this issue? I have an RTX 2060 with the latest drivers installed. It should be able to work great and handle the 4k footage from my GH5. Sometimes it works, and it runs flawlessly, but the most I can get out of it is about a half hour before it completely freezes again. It is very annoying since premiere runs so much faster and smoother with the GPU acceleration turned on. It is slowing down my workflow a lot. Is this something in my settings? Or could this just be a compatibility issue that was overlooked by either Adobe or Nvidia? I really have no idea what's going on here.

Topics

Crash, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

Sorry to hear about your issue.

Would you mind sharing your system specification (CPU, RAM, OS) and version of the Nvidia GPU driver? Also, does it show any error message or a crash report?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

My CPU is the AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 core 3800mhz

For RAM I have 32 GB (2x16) DDR4 3600

OS is Windows 10

For the Nvidia Driver, I'm currently using studio driver 441.66 which is an older version, but only because the most recently updated driver wasnt working either. I tried to revert back to this one to see if there was an issue with the newest update but it does not seem to make a difference.

When Premiere stops working, I do not get any sort of errors or anything. It just completely freezes and stops responding. No matter how long I wait, it stays frozen and when I force close the program and reopen it (with GPU acceleration still on) it immediately becomes unresponsive again. The only way to fix this is to disable my video driver and restart premiere again.

I just don't understand why this is happening...when it's working it's perfectly smooth and very quick, and I'll try scrubbing through my timeline a little bit and it freezes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines