• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Source and Program Monitor Freeze After few minutes

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I've had a really frustrating experience today and today only with Premiere.

Here's the situation:
If I reinstall Premiere (Any version available in Creativecloud) everything works fine for about 10 minutes. After a few minutes, the program window and the source window will freeze video playback and functionality through the space, but keybinds still work (Aka I can still use J,K,L, to playback stuff), but I can only hear audio and can't see any video playback as it's frozen on a frame.

I've reinstalled multiple times, deleted my adobe documents, tried changing from cuda to opencl to software, tried Adobe cleaner tool, I've tried using different footage, I've tried updating and rollingback drivers on anything I can think that would be related (Nvidia drivers, intel graphics drivers, etc) I've tried everything I can think of and everything I've been able to find by searching around.

I'm running:
i5-840016gb RAM
GTX 1080
256gb SSD for Windows & Premiere & footage

Version 13.1.1 of Premiere currently, but have tried every every version on CC i can download.

I'm stumped and of course this happens at crunch time. New job, first project, nothing working. Sweeeeet haha.

No idea what to do. Let me know what logs and stuff you may need if you have any ideas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further information:

Pressing K will play audio from either the source or the program but video is frozen, as well as the playhead in the timeline and source or program is also frozen. Audio still plays from both.

Just uninstalled EVERYTHING adobe from my PC and restarted pc, manually deleted the rest, restarted again, installed CC and Premiere. Same issue but didn't even give me 10mins of working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryan,

What happens with a brand new project? Can you test it out for us?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New project, import footage (Used diff footage), windows frozen, can hear audio. I took a screenshot of it, maybe it'll help. 1.png

You can see that the video is timeline is "Playing", audio is being heard, no video, playhead doesnt move in any window unless i click to a new spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also noticed after closing Premiere that it lingers in my background processes for an extended amount of time (Easily an hour+). Trying to re-open premiere after does nothing and requires me to End Task on it through task manager and then re opening again.

If i have premiere open and close it, I can't reopen until i force end task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actual useful information:

Tried a editing from an external drive, seems to be working fine. If i take footage from the external, put it on my ssd with premiere installed and import that same clip, freezes up and playback doesn't work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now editing from another drive doesn't work. I don't know what to do. Maybe I just learn a new program and abandon Adobe at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue - seems to be related to Thumbnail view - is there anyway to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the exact same experience and after a couple of days of scouring the internet, these forums, and running some experiments myself, I seem to have fixed it.

Here the quick list of what I did.
1. I reset the preferences file and plugin cache by holding shift+command (Mac) while starting Premiere Pro.
2. I had recently installed a couple of novelty fonts for a project that I thought might be corrupt (and was preventing Illustrator from opening the AI file I was working off of) so I deleted them. Illustrator works fine now, but I'm not sure if it had any impact on Premiere Pro.

3. On the Project panel I changed the view from "Thumbnail" to "List."

4.  I followed the GPU settings steps from this article:
https://blog.frame.io/2017/11/13/common-premiere-pro-crashes/

(There are probably some other good steps here, too.)
5. But the thing I did that I believe really fixed my issue was address a couple of .MOV clips I downloaded from Motion Array and was using in my project. I suspected that one or some of them were somehow conflicting with Premiere Pro. The issues you described started happening around the time I added those short clips to my project. So I opened each clip in QuickTime and when QT "converted" the file in order to play it, I saved the converted version of the .MOV file, deleted the old one, and re-linked the clip to the converted version when I opened the project in Premiere Pro again.

I wish I would have done each step individually, testing my project and the freezing software issue after each step, but I didn't have the time or patience so I just performed all 5 steps all at once. But I really believe it was the .MOV files that were hanging me up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  And I'm seeing it happen during thumbnail view and list view; thumbnail views are still fine and responsive even.  It's the program monitor window that dies.
I'm assembling clips together, scrubbing through my source clip, dropping them in the timeline.  Fine.
Double click thumbnails to open a new source clip.  Fine.
I think there was audio during this clip.  Click on the "Drag audio only" button to check the audio waveform.  Fine, BUT!

Now the video portion of the program monitor window is frozen.  No matter what I do where I go I got nothing.  Even exiting the program doesn't work.  I need to "End Task" to close out.

So I try again.  This time avoiding the audio waveform.
All is good but I have another clip I want to check for audio.  But now I have to play it normally and listen for dialogue.
Click on play...
Frozen, nothing works.  Have to End Task to get out of it.

Third time through.  Going though files in list view.  Watching files 1 by 1, pulling clips out as needed.  Try to open the next file.  Suddenly frozen, not working anymore.  If anything the problem happened when I clicked out of Adobe Premiere to scroll up the webpage I have in the browser on my other monitor.  Click back to Adobe to watch the next file.  Frozen.

This problem is making a 6 hour culling section take my entire 4 day weekend.  I'm researching Adobe alternatives now because this is basically un-useable.  Please fix this soon or I'm jumping ship.

PS:  I tried the steps "Real Quiz" mentioned and they didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your issue on the bug/features UserVoice system. This is a fairly rare issue but hammers anyone who gets it. Any data on media, effects, the computer, and steps you've tried would be good to get to the engineers.

Plus Adobe lives by metrics. Anything filed there makes The List ... so please file this.

I'm on my phone or I'd post the link but it's on the top of the Overview page of the forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey bro
Even I was facing the same issues 
Finally what solved my problem was that I imported the file from the original place from where I had previously stored

I orignally had stored the mts file in my D drive from the D drive I copied the file to E drive and was importing the file into premiere from the E drive

I was facing the same issue like you

Tried clearing the cache 

Finally got to know something and now I imported from the D drive and its fine now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same prolem with the addition that when I close it it takes about 15 mins because it stops responding then finally gives me the option to close program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am stumped myself, my system worked fine yesterday. Monitor keeps freezing every 5 to 10 minutes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue from OP here. I reached out to Ado be customer service and spent a good 90 min and tech was not able to assist. Everything was working fine for the past year or so - no changes on laptop settings and now not ONE file will work. After 2-3 mins frames just star to freeze. Adobe seems functional and short cuts/menus keep working. Sound continues but video freezes. 

After weeks I am about to give up my project and have no idea who else to resort for help.

Please Adobe Techs - Help, please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a couple days last week where after about 10-12 minutes, the program monitor and transmit out would stop. Restart the app, they worked fine. For 10-12 minutes.

Then after a while, they'd work for a couple hours.

But after a couple days they stopped doing that. Now understand, this is mostly working in the public beta version, so one expects occasional clunkers.

If you're getting this in the shipping version, ouch.

What media are you working with out of curiosity?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil. I am using mostly videos from my iPhone. Adobe will not work at all after a few minutes. Tried even to start a new project and by 2-3mins image freezes and music continues and the only way out is to force shutdown via task manager. 

So far nothing worked: installing previous versions (tried multiple), wipe out Adobe and reinstall, check for minimum requirements, pending updates. Nothing will make this work. 

At one point I got the following message: "Sorry, a serious error has occurred tat requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project".

The Adobe techinical was not hepful at all and did not know what he was doing - Sorry, just being honest here. Does Adobe offer any reliable support to their subscribers?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPhone videos ... um, well, that's the horse of a different color. And is causing tons of problems, first because it's almost undoubtedly VFR, variable frame rate. Meaning there are constantly shifting numbers of frames per second of video laid over straight recorded sound. PrPro struggles with VFR.

ShutterEncoder is currently the utility most recommended here for converting VFR to CFR. Then import that media into PrPro. See if it works better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, but using a converter does not seem to be a steady solution. That would mean all my projects that worked well for the past year would need to be converted. I would be interested in a more consistent resolution - where the product I am susbcribing works normally as it always did (as it does to my fellow co-workers). Could you or anyone at Adobe be able to dig in deeper into the issue and finding a way to get Premiere to what it has always been? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding that I tried to create a new video from different sources (Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III, Canon XA40 Pro, GoPro Hero10) and the outcome is exactly the same. Freezing at 2-3min. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you realize that us ACPs are peers ... users that volunteer time here to help other users.

And if you're having the same trouble with 'regular' media, then ... yea, there's something going on. One thing I would note about all that media, it sounds like you're mostly running H.264/265?

What laptop are you using?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently experienced this same issue - I have tried quite a few possible solutions and believe the GPU correction (step 3 from Real Quiz) did the trick for me. Here is the quick version of what is outlined in that article: 

1. Disable GPU usage during playback.  Navigate to File>Project Settings>General and set the Renderer to Mercury Playback Software Only.

2. Go to Sequence>Sequence Settings and uncheck the Composite in Linear Color checkbox.

3. Disable any additional video output by going to Premiere Pro CC>Preferences>Playback and unchecking the Enable Mercury Transmit option.

Best of luck to everyone as they work to get Premiere back up and running!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*correction - meant to reference Step 4*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines