• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Source Monitor scrubbing - frame jumping

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new bug I just discovered. I'm on version 14.0.4 and am editing on my imac Pro. The clip that is in the source window im scrubbing through to make new I and O points and as I drag it along the visuals are skipping to other areas on the clip back and forth... Not sure what's causing this issue, anyone else having this issue?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Unable to quickly skim through source clip and timeline output. Sudden jumps to different part of file. Very annoying.

I'm downgrading as I write this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this with a corrupted cache before. Try cleaning out your cache files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I downgraded already. BTW it is the same in 14.0.3 and its working correctly in 14.0.0.

As for cache - it was two new projects creted by 14.0.4 from scratch. I dont see where cache could get corrupted.

Anyway I'm staying with 14.0.0 until it gets fixed in future release.

Thank you for easy downgrade functionality - its realy handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to thank me for functionality. I don't work for Adobe.

Your cache can get corrupted for a variety of reasons. Just because you "don't see where it could get corrupted" doesn't mean that your cache won't get corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think there is any cache used in playback of my project files.

There is no noticeable cache generation or any slowdown prior to playback freshly imported clips. 

Clips play smoothly just after import. (BRAW files  directly from fast SSD drive) This isnt some havily compressed format that requires generating some preview cache files.

Cache corrpution scenarios usually involve more time where cache can becomes broken. Or failing media which is also not the case.

Anyway for me the case is closed - downgrade to 14.0.0 solves the problem completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this severe issue in 14.1.0.

I've emptied the cache, restarted the program/computer, and not having any luck. This bug is extremely annoying as it interferes with how I'm selecting footage.

Another bug is just even playing back the clip, and not scrubbing, it erratically skips all over the clip. 

Adobe are you listening? It would be great to demonstrate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save yourself time and downgrade to version without the bug. In my case it was 14.0.0. Adobe has tendency to downplay the bugs we report and it takes years before they even admit its a real bug. Especially a tricky one like you we are seeing here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of media are you working with? This sounds like a common issue with Variable Framerate media from either a phone or from screen capture, especially when it's recorded in HEVC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening in multiple formats. MP4 seems safe.

I shoot on FS7 / FX9 as well as Mavic Pro 2. 
So XAVC-I for the Sonys, and HEVC for Mavic Pro 2 are the issues I'm seeing it pop up for me.

I forgot to mention the playback issue without scrubbing can happen in the Source or Program monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I may be a bit off on some of the exact specifics here but bear with me:

TLDR: Make proxies

Your Sony stuff I believe is intraframe, which is good, but it may be 10-bit and super high bitrate. 500-600MBps? That's a lot. That's going to be some chunky playback unless you make proxies out of that.

The Mavic stuff is in kind of an opposite category (in some ways) but with the same end results. That stuff gets compressed into an interframe codec, and right now HEVC is probably one of the worst things you can edit with. Even before HEVC was more common, I've always had really bad playback issues when trying to work with DJI footage. Something about their compression just wreaks havoc. With this footage you would probably also want to make proxies or consider transcoding into an intermediate codec right out of the gate.

Because all this stuff seems to be pretty high quality footage and I'm assuming you want to retain all the bit depth and color info possible, I feel like proxies is the better option there, that way if you're sending to a colorist later you've got all the raw available. This is a pretty standard thing to do whenever you're working with high end footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Phillip

I've been working with the same type of FS7 footage since 2014. Never have had these hiccups both on a 2016 MacBook pro and or on my iMac Pro. This is not the average chunky playback that I'll occasionally see. This is playback where it goes from the playhead, and once you hit play the visuals begin to skip to the end of the clip one frame, to the next frame being another random frame, and this happens frame by frame bouncing all over the entirety of that clip until you pause. It then lands back where it should be on the playhead.

It's an issue that seems to have crept in after the 14.0.0 update. I'll be trying the older version and see if I'm facing the same issues.

I've never have needed to use Proxys in my workflow as I'm usually handling the project from start to finish on most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a quick example of this issue with a recently exported MP4 file in the program monitor: https://youtu.be/P4Yc1NTMGDA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, try the different version. It's definitely possible that it could help. That effect definitely looks similar to the jumpiness of the HEVC thing I've seen. Lemme know what you find out with a previous version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whatsup guys, been experiencing the same problems recently and im running on a fully specked out imac pro. never felt like throwing punches at my computer like this before, thanks adobe! managed to downgrade to 14.0.0 and downgrade my project file that was made in the newest version and looks like things are working smoothly now (as smoothly as premiere typically works) . thanks for the tips guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new 2020 iMac and was worried it had something to do with the computer. Downgraded to 14.0.0 as well and that worked, but we really shouldn't have to downgrade to avoid a major bug in a product we pay for. Shame Adobe hasn't done anything about it yet, and when I talked to a rep via chat they weren't too helpful or worried about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the SAME issue and here it is Sept. Only difference now... is that when I downgraded to 14.0 (reading the posts), Premiere says I have some audio hardware issue.. and its not playing my music. So now Im at another issue... this is pretty annoying. I'm hoping that they fix this.. I can't edit if I'm scrubbing through frames and I can't find or land on the footage I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue is still persistent with the latest Premiere Pro V14.6.0

Really adobe, still no reply to this issue, it's extremely frustrating when trying to be efficient and quick and not being able to scrub. My workaround has been to use my J and L keys to fast forward or rewind but not as efficient as scrubbing through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning on the Source Monitor Overlays help marginally. Still the same problem on 14.8.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yeah same here in 14.8.0 - lao downgrading now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines