• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spanish Language Captions - Problem With Accent Marks/Characters

Participant ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing a Spanish language .srt file Premiere Pro CC2017 doesn't recognize the accent marks (á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ, ¿, ¡). They all appear as asterisks. They will show up though If I manually paste in the correct letter/accent into the captions editor. Obviously this makes adding Spanish captions a real pain to deal with. Is there something I am missing to get these .srt files to work correctly or is this just another bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Hi kre57,

I have had the same issue with hungarian characters, but I changed the encoding of the srt file to UHT-8 with this tool: https://subtitletools.com/convert-text-files-to-utf8-online and now it works. https://subtitletools.com/convert-text-files-to-utf8-online

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kre57,

Sorry that you have this issue!

Let me check this internally if this is supported or not. I think it's a missing feature rather than a bug.

Additionally, can you share the SRT file with us so that we can test it?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Here's a link to the file: Adobe Share - Google Drive 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Can you help with this?

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2379965

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kre57,

I have had the same issue with hungarian characters, but I changed the encoding of the srt file to UHT-8 with this tool: https://subtitletools.com/convert-text-files-to-utf8-online and now it works. https://subtitletools.com/convert-text-files-to-utf8-online

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Robert! You just saved me a bunch of time! It worked perfectly.

RameezKhan​:

While Robert's solution is a good workaround, it would be nice not to have an additional step. The .srt files I use are what YouTube provides via their subtitle tool. If it helps, here's my process:

I upload a video to YT, then paste text copied from a word doc into the

transcribe/auto sync option in the subtitle tool.

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 8.10.17 AM.png

After publishing, I download the srt file...

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 8.15.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kre57,

thanks for your information, it is helpful too

I have done something similar, by english videos I use the speech recognition function of Youtube then the automatical translation and correct the results if it is necessary. This step also spares time for me when I have to translate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are just no words to thank you for this solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tool worked for me on Portuguese Subs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it with my .scc file and it just spat out a .txt file that Premiere couldn't import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just change the .txt to .srt using "rename"  I added the word "converted" or maybe the program did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, too. It had an error saying something about a bad header.

I also just tried changing the system language to Spanish. No different.

Thanks for the ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the bad header, when the first few lines of times, etc... were out of whack.  I had volunteers do translating for me, and a few didn't follow the format.  Look real close at the first few lines and make sure they follow the format.  Once I went through and found a few where the numbers were mess up, it then imported.  I feel your pain.  if you want to send it to me, I'll look. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I'd love it if you had a look. I just opened all the files I have in TextEdit and can't see the headers (I don't think).

But I worry. I can open the converted .srt file and the encoding is wrong or the text is wrong.

00:02:20,292 --> 00:02:23,167

Mi cabeza me est matando.

00:02:23,167 --> 00:02:25,042

D nde estoy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall 100%, but I don't think you can have two times that are the same: just make it 168, see if that helps

00:02:20,292 --> 00:02:23,167

Mi cabeza me est matando.

00:02:23,167 --> 00:02:25,042

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that's not the issue. There are 1300 subtitles in the film.

This is the original .scc file that was delivered to me:

Dropbox - Dantes_Inferno_spanish_sub.scc

I'll try changing the numbers but those numbers were created in the conversion. My .scc file looks like this...

00:02:23:049420 94f4 97a1 20c4 206e 64e5 20e5 73f4 ef79 bf80 942c 8080 8080 942f

00:02:25:019420 94e0 9723 d661 7961 20e6 e9e5 73f4 6120 ec61 2064 e520 616e efe3 68e5 2c80 942c 8080 8080 942f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how mine ended up looking.  I used Spanish SCC as a starting point, and asked the translator not to change any times, just change text.  Here's what mine look like, it started from a pro company though for Spanish and French: I created the VTT because that's what Vimeo prefers, so I imported my SCC...actually, you know what, it was an SRT, because those are just text files, then I exported a VTT in YouTube.  Can you load your file into YouTube? 

WEBVTT

Kind: captions

Language: pt

00:00:11.846 --> 00:00:16.818

Eu sinto como se tivesse uma

bobina quente enrolada

00:00:16.885 --> 00:00:20.555

por todo meu corpo desde meu

pescoço até meus pés.

00:00:25.927 --> 00:00:28.830

Tem a raiva, e depois este

sentimento inevitável,

00:00:28.897 --> 00:00:33.168

onde você não quer ter reações você tem,

e você só, você precisa sair.

00:00:38.239 --> 00:00:40.608

Você entende, o que isso faz comigo?

00:00:40.675 --> 00:00:42.210

É...

00:00:43.578 --> 00:00:44.846

é enfurecedor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try YouTube.

I tried Resolve last night, but it could only import .srt not .scc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can convert from scc to srt: https://subtitletools.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted it with the SRT to try it in Resolve. And the same results: accented letters are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and that's with the using UT-8 converter?  that solved it for me, but only to an SRT, not SCC...I had the same results as you.  I stopped using Premiere and just used YouTube; it's a clunky interface, but you can tweak and export to various file types.  upload your video to YouTube unlisted and then click on the 3 dots below the player on the right and I believe it says "translation/languages".  if it won't load in YouTube, then there is an issue with some of the code, but it usually tells you the error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lifesaver!!! Thanks Robert!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This fix saved me a lot of time and stress working at the weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me too. A colleage had used a txt to srt program which coded my file differently so Premiere wouldn´t import it. I tried this tool and my subtitles imported perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your workflows, kre57 & Robert! I have forwarded this information to the engineer.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines