Exit

Speeding Up Footage Results in Lost Frames

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Premiere Pro 14.0

My footage is 120fps.

Whenever I want to speed up my footage I've always just gone to Speed/Duration and increased the speed percentage with no issue. Now in the new version when I increase the speed percentage (in this case to 200%) the footage is dropping a ton of frames and is choppy.

I've tried all of the time interpolation settings with no success.

I imported the footage into the previous version of Premiere Pro and there is no issue. Is there some sort of setting in 14.0 that I'm missing?

Please help!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Hi Kevin,

I changed my preview format to "P2 1080i-1080p 50Hz DVC PROHD" and that seems to have SOLVED the problem.

The default setting was I-Frame Only MPEG.

Ultimately I just started the project over in the previous version of Premiere and had no issues. I also noticed that in the previous version the default preview format was also "I-Frame Only MPEG" so I'm still not sure why this was an issue in the new version but not the old version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method worked for me. I was having the same problem, when changing speed to faster rates, trimming the clip randomly and preventing me to expand it to the totality of the footage. This is a major bug, since nowadays everybody uses editing techniques based on speed changes and speed ramping, timelapses, burstlapses and so on. Adobe has to address this quickly. But it is Adobe we are talking about, they fix and upgrade some things and cripple others that were right to begin with... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... It worked once... now i cant get it to work again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT the fix and it is ludicrous that this glitch continues to this day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is not.... Its a shame that after several updates this problem isn´t fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously. I'm sick of using Premiere 2019 because of this one issue. I use speed ramps for every single project and this is the one holdup preventing me from using 2020.

If anyone from Adobe sees this, someone else has already uploaded a recording of the glitch. "Dropped frames" isn't really an accurate description. It only happens on clips ramped up to speeds greater than 799%. As soon as you hit 800%, it displays random frames while playing the time remapped clip.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.uservoice.com/assets/223/071/286/original/speed%20changes%20issues%...

How on earth is this an acceptable output for a professional product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration, but did you post your source properties?  If the material is h264 or another mpeg format, I'm not surprised if premiere (or any other nle) might have problems with such an extreme speed up.  Have you tried transcoding to something like prores in which every frame is discreet unlike mpeg formats?

I'd do a test with a clip you're having issues with and see if that's a workaround.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enough workarounds.... Do you want a workaround? Change mercury engine to software. this issue disappears. Good luck trying to do some serious editing, color correction, transitions, speed ramping, without GPU acceleration.

This has to be addressed.

Adobe has to fix this issue ASAP! Hundreds or thousands of users complaining the same across the Adobe Forum.

Sorry for my direct answer.

Not waisting anymore time dealing with this issue.

Anyway thanks for trying to provide some help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for chiming in but this has been discussed thoroughly enough. Personally I'm using prores from an Atomos monitor and nicely speced out Macbook Pro, but clearly it doesn't matter what the source is after this amount of outcry. It's a truly shocking amount of feedback that's gone unaddressed in any substantial way. Again, Premiere 2019 can do it easily. 2020 can not. 

Speed ramps at high speeds are extremely common, especially in the Real Estate video arena, and any pro tool should handle it with no sweat.

The other qualifying observation I've had while toiling through this inane problem (besides the bizarre 799% threshold) is that it only seems to happen now when using footage that has been interpreted to a new frame rate. For me that's footage shot at 59.9401 and interpreted at 30 fps (again, this method works in 2019 just fine). This is a very common way to slow down a lot of clips that were shot with the intention of slow motion. IF you place your clips straight into the timeline and then remap each one individually to 50%, then use the pen tool to push your speed ramps up and down, it does work properly, but this adds work flow complexity and ain't nobody got time for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After October 2020 update issue still remains.

This is unaceptable...

Regarding your observation about Real Estate Videos using speed ramps, that is exactly one of my main editing work. 

Regarding the interpreted footage being affected with the problem, that is exactly what happens to me, because I record at 50fps and the in Premiere interpret to 25fps, and the problems with speed ramps start to appear, when in Premiere 2019 version that didn´t happen and worked flawlessly.

Another workaround I found is to make original media offline, and edit with proxys (already created at 25fps from the interpreted footage in media encoder, you have to force the interpret footage to 25fps manually in media encoder, otherwise it will result in 50fps proxys.). 

At the end, relink original media and export.

Also if you Render the timeline it will playback ok, but for fast workflow and editing changes is a pain to be always rendering to preview what you are doing, so i recommend working with the proxys and relinking at the end of the heavy editing.

In the end it exports fine but in playback the issues are there without all these workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

We are sorry for the issue that you are seeing.

We have made some fixes in latest beta builds. It would be very helpful, if you can try latest beta builds and share your feedback

Thanks

Umang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks I guess... If it is fixed it is long due...

Tested a simple speed ramp at 3000% speed, with a clip h265 4k 10bit 420 50 fps interpreted to 25fps with and without proxy (low bitrate mp4) also at 25fps (interpreted in media encoder from 50fps to 25fps to match interpreted source footage).

It worked. No weird frame skipping. Finally!!!

I can only know if it works all the time with further testing.

When will it be available in main version?

By the way... the files i use are from Fujifilm XT3 (h265 4k 10bit 420 50 fps Long GOP). these files make premiere and computers struggle a lot! Davinci  Resolve handles it smoothly but not perfectly.

I believe ALL-I are supposed to have smoother playback, but in my testing this ALL I fujifilm xt3 files are even worse or at least equal in performance.

Is there any plans for improving h265 performance in premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure I understand.  when you talk about ALL-I, you're talking about every frame being discreet?  If so, I don't think they could be Long GOP (bwdik)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am talking 2 different types of codecs. I mainly use LongGOP, for several reasons, one of them being the one that is capable of recording 50fps in my Fujifilm XT3.

What I was refering to is in regard of general h265 slugish performance wichever form I am using (L-Gop or All-I), with a specific note detail of when I use H265 All I at 25fps or  30 fps, I feel the performance is even worse, where it was suposed to be better. 

Regarding the speed ramps bug, besides my initial testing with good results, I haven´t been able to test it further. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How do I download the beta?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines