Highlighted

Spikes on captions

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm having a strange problem with captions - certain letters have a spike which extends over the text edge. I can't get rid of it even if I try changing fonts

Does anyone know how to fix this? I've attached an image spikes on text.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ann Bens | Adobe Community Professional

You can change the edge in Open Captions

open captions edge.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Spikes on captions

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm having a strange problem with captions - certain letters have a spike which extends over the text edge. I can't get rid of it even if I try changing fonts

Does anyone know how to fix this? I've attached an image spikes on text.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ann Bens | Adobe Community Professional

open captions edge.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 29, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to turn down the stroke.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for the response - how do I do that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same way you added them: text edge.

Or use a more common font.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no option to change the stroke on the text edge in captions

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of captions are you using.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using captions in Premiere Pro to create subtitles

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one: close captions, open caption, open subtiteling,............?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it's open captions

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the captions panel. I have no problem changing edges for Open Captions.

On the other hand, the "spikes" you see is a known issue. Reported here for closed captions:

Edge rendering issue on close captions – Adobe video & audio apps

What specific dot version of PR? There have been a number of function changes and bug fixes in recent versions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open captions edge.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how this post is marked as solved. Turning down the width of the edge is not the solution, it will make the spike just smaller and at the same time the edge becomes almost inexistent. I've tried multiple fonts and in the basic ones (the ones we need to use) there's always these spikes. I've all the posts related to this and there's no solution, it's quite frustrating since those spikes are very unprofessional looking. I'm using open captions on premiere pro cc 2018. Anyone actually found the solution? Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 3
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mind is same like you. We tell about a bug they say close edge or lower it.. Really? Didnt we thought that??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no solution yet. Staff report a few days ago that this is under review for a future release. Upvote here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/34371019-edge-rendering-iss...

There was an improvement for some instances of this problem in 13.0.0 (shortly after the original post in this thread), but not all. The best you can do is a combination of font and edge. The last I tested it, I found for Arial, font size 44, spike is gone at edge = 2. Comic Sans, edge = 5.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 1
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This dosen't solve the problem with the edge of the captions but I found a workaround that really worked for me: I turned down the edge at 0 and after that, I applied a drop shadow on the captions layer. That also gives you a better control over the look and feel of the caption. I hope it helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this workaround is perfect! Easy and effective

--
Gerard Vila

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how do you apply a drop shadow on the captions layer...? I don't see this option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be because you chose the wrong type of captions. Try to create
another one, there's open, closed, and also subtypes of each

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0