• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SRT file not reading

New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, I need some help getting an srt file to show up properly on my video. It looks fine but as soon as I hit play it only shows about three seconds of closed captions. I am brand new to premiere pro so i've been trying to youtube a solution for this but i'm pretty lost on how to make this work. It looks like my biggest issue is the caption file is in source preview (the lock icon)? I downloaded the srt file from facebook because this is a pretty lengthy video,  the srt file I have input here is the first four minutes  (surprisingly no issues with the rest of the CC that I had to download separately ) All suggestions welcome!

Screenshot (71)_LI.jpgScreenshot (73).png

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably imported the srt through the Media Browser or draggin to the Project Panel. That does not associate it with a sequence. Is it the file used to create the captions on the timeline?

In any event, you can avoid the lock by creating your sequence, then open the Text (captions) Panel, and use the "Import captions from file" button to import the srt. It will prompt you for the type of caption stream.

You do not have closed captions; you have a "subtitle" stream. That should not cause any problem - it depends on your final product as to what you need.

It is not good subtitling practice to put so much text on the screen at once (your 6 lines on the screen for 3 seconds). If you are typing these or copy/pasting them, use the new caption button to add a new caption segment for each 2 lines.

But none of these issues should prevent you seeing the subtitles that are in the stream you have added to the timeline.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I'm having this same problem. I've used your work around, but am still unable to get the captions to populate past the ~1 minute mark. Are there other work arounds we can try? 

Thank you!

-Ashley 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashley,

Which specific version of PR?

Can you post screenshots of the Text (Caption) Panel, the Timeline,and the Program Monitor?

Also, how are you importing/creating the captions? Describe the steps.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Stan! So appreciate you following up on this. More info, finally: 

We are working on Premiere Pro 2021. 

The steps to upload the srt file are: 
  • download srt file from online subscription service 
  • open caption panel in premiere 
  • select "import captions from file"
  • select srt file to import
  • in new caption track window I select : format - subtitle, style - none, start point - timeline start

We uploaded another file with the same length and same type of SRT file and it was successful in captioning. We have tried exporting new files in the hope it was just a corrupt file from the transcription tool we use. Still a no go. 

So confusing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots here: 

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 12.44.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 12.43.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 12.44.23 PM.png

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You actually had a different problem from the original poster in this thread. In captions 46-48, the timecode was the same for beginning and ending, except 48 had a different ending timecode.

So PR got to 46, choked on a zero duration, and all that imported was through caption 45.

So fix those and you are good to go.

Subtitle Edit is a good, free tool that will show you such errors.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess there is something in the file; not necessarily corrupt technically, but something that PR chokes on....

Sent you a PM.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines